Paan Phirni Recipe | How to make Paan Phirni for festivals | Paan Phirni ki Recipe
Paan Phirni, delicious and refreshing take on the traditional Phirni for festivals and parties. Phirni flavored with Betel /Paan Leaves and gulkand and spices, ideal for summers and parties.
Everyone is going love this Vegan Friendly light dessert when you serve it your family and friends.
About Paan Phirni
Planning a different dessert for your festive treat? Make this refreshing dessert bursting with flavours from Paan, gulkand(rose petal jam) and spices like cardamom, cloves and black pepper, that also help to keep the stomach light and may aid in digestion.
In Indian cuisine, Paan(stuffed with different ingredients) is served as a mouth freshner and also aids in digestion. Paan Phirni has all the flavours of Masala Paan served in form of dessert.
What is Phirni
Phirni is an easy and quick or simpler take on the traditional Rice Kheer or Chawal Kheer.
Rice grains are soaked in water for few mins. and then grinded with little water to coarse paste. It is then added to milk and cooked till milk is thickened.
Phirni is set and served in earthen bowls/diya, which lend a unique taste and aroma. It is served chilled. You can chopped nuts .
Traditional Phirni can be flavored with cardamom/Thandai powder or we can add fruit puree like Mango to make Mango Phirni or rose syrup to make Rose flavored Phirni.
How is Phirni different from Chawal ki Kheer/Rice Kheer
Kheer in traditional Indian cuisine is any grain especially rice cooked in milk and sweetened with sugar/jaggery.
To make Kheer we add whole grains of rice till milk is thickened to a particular consistency and grains are cooked. Whereas in Phirni, rice grain are grinded to coarse paste and cooked in boiling milk.
Ingredients to make Paan Phirni
Rice- I use Basmati rice to make Phirni and Kheer. But, you can use any other rice also, as we have coarsely grid the grains before adding in milk.
Milk- Full fat milk is best to make phirni. Vegans can use Almond milk or coconut milk. With Almond milk use more rice and coconut nut milk may give nutty coconut flavour.
Paan/Betel Leaves- Choose fresh bright green paan leaves. f there are any spots you can cut and discard those. Do not lot of paan leaves as it may give a bitter taste to phirni.
Gulkand- Rose Petal Jam/Gulkand not only adds flavour but also is good keeping the system cool and is helping in curing constipation.
Spices- Fennel seeds, Cloves, Black Pepper, Cardamom adds flavour and is also aids in digestion. These spices also lend a cooling effect to stomach during summers. You may skip all or any of the spices if you don't want to add in the recipe.
I do not add any color to phirni. You can add a drop of green color in phirni if you want a more attractive look
How to make Paan Phirni
- Soak rice in little water for about 15-20 mins.
- Grind fennel seeds, cloves, black pepper to fine powder.
- Grind Paan leaves.
- When ready to make discard water and grind rice coarsely in 1-2 tbsp water.
- Keep milk for boiling. When the first boil comes, add rice paste.
- Add spice powder and cook for few mins. .
- Add gulkand and mix nicely.
- Cook till the milk thickens and rice grains are cooked. It will take about 10 mins.
- Finally add sugar and mix well. Keep the flame to low and keep on stirring as milk should not burn at bottom.
Let the phirni cool a bit then transfer to serving bowl or individual bowls to set the phirni.
Chill before serving.
Garnish with chopped cashew nuts, candied fennel seeds and dried rose petals.
You can also add Tutti Frutti.
You can make Paan Phirni a day ahead of serving. Refrigerate Paan Phirni in an airtight container and finish by the next day.
Those with Lactose intolerance or Vegans can use Almond milk or coconut milk. With Almond milk use more rice(about 1 tbsp). Coconut nut milk may give nutty coconut flavour.
- Heavy bottomed Pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 500 ml Milk
- ¼ cup Rice
- 2 Big Paan Leaves or 5 small
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Gulkand
- Sugar as Required
- Candied Fennel Seeds for garnish(optional)
- Dried Rose Petals optional for garnish
- Wash rice nicely in water.
- Soak in enough water for about 15 mins.
- Grind fennel seeds, black pepper and cloves to fine powder.
- Grind paan leaves with about 2 tbsp water.
- Keep milk for boiling on low flame.
- When the first boil comes, add rice paste.
- Mix nicely so that no lumps are formed.
- Add the spice mix. , gulkand and mix well.
- Cook till milk starts to thicken like porridge consistency. Keep the flame to low and keep on stirring in between.
- Finally add sugar and mix well.
- Switch off the gas. Let phirni cool and transfer it to serving bowl /small ramekins or dessert bowls to set.
- Chill it for a couple of hours and serve.
- Garnish with candied fennel seeds, chopped cashew nuts, dried rose petals.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!