What is Spanakopita
Spanakopita, a Greek casserole dish made with Phyllo Sheets with Spinach and Feta Cheese filling. Feta Cheese is widely used in Greek Cuisine in savoury pies, salads and bruschetta. It is also consumed with honey and sesame seeds. Phyllo Sheets are also widely used in Greek Cuisine. These paper-thin sheets are made with dough and have very less fat. Baklava one of the most popular desserts from Greece is made using Phyllo sheets. The sheets are brushed with butter, filled with a savoury or sweet filling and baked till brown. The pastry gets flaky and crispy when baked.
Spanakopita pie is made by layering the phyllo sheets, brushing the sheets with butter. the filling for Spanakopita is made with Spinach, Feta Cheese and egg. I skipped the egg in the filling and used mozzarella cheese instead. Also, I added a tbsp of tomato ketchup with the filling, just add a bit of tanginess to the filling. The first trial was quite satisfying and now I am waiting to try Baklava using the Phyllo Sheets. Next time I am going to try the triangle-shaped pies using the sheets as I feel that the pie triangles will be more handy to eat. Also,I will be experimenting with the filling like using Paneer(Indian Cottage Cheese) or Mushrooms.
I have adapted the recipe from here..but modified a little as per my requirements. I used only half pack of Phyllo sheets, rest half kept to make Baklava. Soon will be posting the recipe.
Let's see how I made these Spinach Pies with Phyllo sheets... Spanakopita.
- 12-16 Phyllo sheets
- 1-2 Cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Feta Cheese
- 2 tbsp Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder or use fresh garlic cloves(1-2)
- 1 tbsp Butter for cooking spinach
- 1/4 Cup Melted butter for layering the Phyllo Sheets
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Wash spinach leaves, drain off excess water. Dry on the kitchen towel and chop roughly.
- In a pan, melt butter, add garlic powder, add spinach leaves and cook till all the water from the leaves dries.
- Transfer the leaves to a bowl, once it cools down, add and mix feta crumbles and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Open the Phyllo Sheet pack, take out one roll and keep the sheets covered in a damp kitchen towel.
- Put one sheet on the baking dish, brush some melted butter, put another sheet on top of it. Likewise repeat the steps with 4-5 sheets.
- Spread the filling evenly on the pastry layer.
- Cover the filling with one phyllo sheet, brush the top of the sheet with butter and put another sheet on top of it. Likewise repeat the step for the rest 4-5 sheets.
- Tuckin the corners of the sheets on the side, to seal the edges.
- Brush the top layer with butter or egg wash and bake it in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or till the top layer is flaky and brown in color.
- Once done, take out of the oven and serve hot.
Make ahead, layer the sheets with filling, cover and keep in the freezer.Take out of the freezer and bake directly do not thaw.
Puff Pastry Sheets can also be used for making the dish. You can also cut the sheets in squares and fold in triangles to make hand pies. It is a good option for make ahead snack/appetizer to serve to guests or take for potluck. Kids loved this flaky pie with spinach cheese filling. Experiment with various fillings of your choice. Enjoy it with Tzatziki , sour cream or any other sauce of your choice. My 7 yr old loved it with some tomato ketchup.
Sharing my Blogging Marathon group for Week 3 Day 2 for the theme.. Flavours of Greece
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#97.
My first post for the Flavours of Greece was Refreshing Greek Salad.
So make this flaky Spinach Pie dish and share your feedback. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!
I have always been wanting to make this dish, we don't get the phyllo sheets and I don't have the patience to do from scratch...yours look so inviting..
Thanks Srivalli!! I know while I was India I cudn’t get it their and making these is such a laborious task.
Renu Agrawal Dongre
This looks yum and delicious. I had shortlisted this for the Greek Cuisine, but did not make it. After seeing your pics I think I should give it a try.
Classic Greek dish - it looks so crispy outside and soft and yummy inside. Perfectly made spanakopita.
Wow! That is such a drool worthy snack. My ids love it to bits.
Whenever Isee such bakes with phyllo pastry, I am too tempted to try. But unfortunately we don't get it here. The pie looks fantastic. The crispy outer layer and the cheesy filling would make it so delicious.
Yes Gayatri it is not available in India easily.. always wanted to try baking with these sheets while in Indian, gladly get it here in US..
I haven’t baked much with phyllo as it’s not easily available , but yes the ready puffs that we get here are super flaky . A spinach filling would make them really delicious ,
that looks yum, i love baking with phyllo and puff pastry sheets, a quickie bake with versatile filling ! looks perfect!