Tilkut or Sesame and Jaggery Ladoos or sweets balls are Makar Sankranti Special. Makar Sankranti the winter harvest festival in India that falls on 14th Jan every year at many places people also celebrate on 15th Jan. It marks the harvest period for farmers and also the transition of the Sun. It's a very auspicious day for Hindus when they pray Sun God and take holy bath/dip in holy river the Ganges. To know more about Makar Sankranti check my post Til and Khus Khus Chikki in Coconut Sugar. Sesame and jaggery preparations are consumed on this auspicious day which have there own significance in Ayurveda for balancing the body heat and detoxing the body. You can see the stores and markets flooded with sesame and jaggery preparations during these days. The thing I miss the most from my home town is Gajak, a sesame and jaggery preparation that requires quite a professional hand to make at home and still have not dared to that!! Til Patti or Tilkut is another sesame and jaggery preparation that is popular in Northern states of India like Uttar Prades, Haryana and Bihar and West Bengal. A similar sweet preparation Til and Gur Laddos are famous in Maharastra during Makar Sankranti. Isn't it interesting to know with the same ingredients, how a dish is known by different names in different parts of a country!!
Til Patti or Tilkut is made with just 2 or 3 ingredients where 3rd ingredient is optional and can be ginger powder, fennel powder or crushed peanuts. Til or white sesame are roasted and mixed with jaggery, set and cut into small thin pieces. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and make it. The only time it needs the setting time that is a minimum of 30 mins to 1 hr. My kids love this til patti and love to take these in their lunchbox for snack time. These are kind of energy bars which can be conveniently carried to office or while traveling. Check related posts of Mixed Nut Gur(Jaggery)Chikki another Lohri and Makar Sankranti special sweets/ brittles. Murmura Ladoo another winter and harvest festival special is relished with these brittles or ladoos.
Let's see how I make these so easy and nutritious festive bites..
Til Patti or TilKut
- 1 Cup White Sesame Seeds
- 3/4 Cup Grated Jaggery or broken in small pieces
- 1 tsp Ghee/Indian Clarified Butter
- Dry roast Sesame seeds in a pan. When the seeds start turning brown and giving the nutty aroma, take off from the pan and keep aside to cool.
- In another heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee, add grated/broken gur, add 1-11/2 tsp of water and melt it.
- Once the gur melts and starts to bubble, add til, mix and cook till the mixture starts to gather together and thickens.
- To make Til patti/brittle.. Immediately transfer to a parchment paper or a greased tray, flattened it with help of rolling pin, cut into shapes as required.
- To make ladoos/sweet balls.. Transfer to a plate, let it slightly cool so that it is comfortable to take in hand. Wet your hands and make ladoos.
- Leave it in open for an hour and then store in an air-tight container.
- Tl Patti or Tilkut are ready to relish.
Makar Sankranti and Lohri is here and also if the weather is cold and chilly at your place and you need some quick bites to you warm and nourished, do make these sweet treats.
Wishing you all a very auspicious and happy Makar Sankranti and Lohri!! Enjoy the celebrations with your loved ones!!
I will love to hear your feedback on the post and my blog and when you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my FoodTrails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.
well prepared recipe.
Love these delicious traditional treats!
Ideal for winters !
Perfectttt winter warmers?
Keep sharing. Hope too see you very soon on my blog amazingshining.com