Vegan Gluten-free Turnip Indian Curry/Shalgam Ki Subzi Recipe | Learn how to make Turnip Curry in Indian flavors
Here I bring you a delicious vegan curry bursting with aromatic flavors. If you are among those who don't like Turnip but all because of it's nutritional value want to include it in you diet, this is a, must try curry.
As a kid I never liked having this curry. My mom and grandmom always told us about he benefits of this winter veggie, but somehow I avoided having it. It was a regular for weekday meal in lunch menu. Instead of the curry I loved the pickle with hint of sweetness, which they made along with cauliflower and radish.
For years I didn't made it as Rajeev too is not very fond of it. Recently, while shopping for veggies, I saw these bright turnips with a hint of purple hue. I bought a few and thought of trying the curry once more. I made the curry as per my mom's instructions. And I couldn't believe myself it was lip smackingly delicious. Rajeev too liked it. Kids had a small portion with steamed rice and they too gave the thumbs up!!
So do try it once, if you too have any dislike of this veggie.
Turnips and it's benefits
Turnip belongs to Radish family and so it has a peculiar taste a kind of slight bitter tone. For that we add tsp of jaggery to curry. It is added to soups, salads. In North India, we usually make different curries and pickle.
Turnip is a root vegetable, loaded with immune boating Vit. C and minerals like manganese and potassium. In India it is consumed mainly in winters though in many places.
It can be substituted in place of potatoes. You can make fried, coleslaws, stir frys and salads.
Ingredients to make Turnip Curry/Shalgam ki Subzi
The turnip curry is made in onion tomato gravy with spices. If you have prepared bhuna masala in your refrigerator making this is a breeze then.
Turnips/Shalgam cook very fast so you can make it in open pan/kadhai. In Pressure cooker it takes only 5 mins. take care not to cook for long as the cooked turnips may become mushy. These should be cooked just like potatoes in Aloo Matar or Potato curry.
Can I make it in Instant Pot
Yes you can make it in Instant pot also. It take 5 mins of Pressure Cook Mode to cook this veggie.
Variations to Turnip Curry
This is a very basic Turnip Curry Recipe, where I have used only turnips in recipe. You can also add peas, potatoes, red bell peppers/capsicum , carrots here. Cook time will vary as per the veggies added.
Also, make it semi dry way as I prefer it to a water curry, if you want curry like consistency, then add 1 tomato in the recipe and add water as required.
How to make Turnip Curry
Turnip Curry/Shalgam Ki Subzi
- Open Pan/Kadhai
- Chopping Board
- 2 Turnips(Medium Sized)
- 1 Onion(Medium)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Ginger(small piece)
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-2 tsp Any Raw Sugar(Jaggery) or your regular sugar
- 2 tbsp Any plant based Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash nicely turnips, tomatoes.
- Cube turnips and very finely chop onions. Puree Tomatoes.
- Make ginger garlic and green chilli paste. You can also use store-bought ginger garlic paste.
- In a heavy bottomed pan/kadhai, heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds, when it crackles add ginger garlic paste.
- Sauté till the raw smell of garlic goes away and it starts to turn golden brown.
- Now add finely chopped onions and sauté till onions start turning pink.
- Add tomato puree, cook till the masala starts to get thick.
- Add dry spices( coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala) and mix well. Sauté for few seconds.
- Now add turnip cubes, salt and mix lightly to coat all cubes in masala.
- Add about ½ Cup water. Adjust the consistency of gravy accordingly as per your preference.
- Cover and cook till turnip cubes turn soft, not mushy.
- Serve hot with bread of your choice or steamed rice.
To make with Bhuna Masala
- After adding cumin seeds, add 2 tbsp of masala and sauté for a while. Add spices and then turnip pieces with salt and water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook till turnips cubes become soft.
Instant Pot Method to make Turnip Curry
- Switch on the Sauté Mode On.
- When display shows HOT, add oil and cumin seeds.
- Make Masala as per given in the steps above or add bhuna masala, after adding oil.
- Proceed with adding spices, turnip cubes, salt and water. Mix well.
- Cancel Sauté Mode. Switch on the PRESSURE COOK Mode on.
- Set the time for 5 mins., then cook.
- Once done, wait for 2-3 mins then do QPR(Quick Pressure Release).
Shop your Ingredients here
Do try this delicious and healthy Turnip curry my way. It makes a filling and comforting meal with hot chapatis/steamed rice and salad on side. You can also enjoy it with dinner rolls or any bread.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!
Leave a Reply