Methi Thepla is an Indian flatbread from the state of Gujarat, made with fresh methi leaves and mixed flours like Whole Wheat flour and Chickpea flour along with spices like red chilli powder, garam masala and caraway and cumin seeds.
Methi Theplas are the regular breakfast or evening time item in Gujarati households and every house has its own recipe for the theplas. There are many variations as different vegetables can be added instead of Methi/Fenugreek. Other veggies that can be added are grated Bottle Gourd, Radish or even plain theplas with no veggie. the theplas are very soft as these are wholesome and filling these are one of the best food to pack while travelling.
These nutritious flat breads are one of the best ways of feeding veggies to fussy kids as the veggies are grated , chopped finely and kneaded with the dough. Other ingredients that make the theplas soft are curd/yogurt and oil.
How to make soft Methi Thepla and tips to keep it fresh for long..
Theplas can stay fresh and soft for almost 15 days if stored properly.
- Avoid Chickpea flour/Besan, add only whole wheat flour, when making Theplas for travelling. Besan or Chickpea flour makes it hard.
- Re-heating Theplas in microwave also makes it hard.
- Knead a very soft dough. Use yogurt or lukewarm water.
- Avoid putting dry flour while rolling the theplas, as it makes the flatbread dry.
- USe more oil while cooking Thepla, for every day cooking use less oil.
- Pack theplas when these cool completely else, these will become soggy due to moisture from steam.
Can I use Dried Fenugreek Leaves for making Methi Theplas..
Dried fenugreek leaves can be added in place of fresh fenugreek leaves. Halve the amount while using dried leaves.
Theplas can be eaten with plain yogurt, pickles and can be served to kids with jam. Gujarati Chundo, a mango pickle is commonly eaten with Theplas to add spice and flavour to it. I like to have theplas with my Mango Chutney. My eight year old likes to have it with my homemade jams(Raspberry Jam) and my teenager enjoys it with spicy Schezwan chutney. Rajeev loves to have tea with theplas.
These are also one of the best lunch items to pack for kids lunch box, as it is one of the most nutritious and wholesome meal packed with the goodness of fresh methi leaves and whole wheat and healthy flours. When making Theplas for kids , I cook these in Desi ghee to add more nutritious value.
I love Fresh fenugreek leaves and make full use of the fenugreek leaves in my dishes when these are season, especially in winters. Check out the recipes with fresh Methi leaves.. Methi Parantha, Makkai Methi Ka Vada, Missi Roti , Sarson Ka Saag and Methi Dal Pooris.
Let’s see how I make the soft and nutritious Methi Theplas..
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt/Curd
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli Powder or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Oil/Ghee for Frying thepla
- Wash fenugreek leaves properly and chop finely.
- Mix all the spices with both the flours, add fenugreek leaves and mix all the ingredients. Add curd/yogurt and knead the flour.
- Leave the dough for few minutes, the fenugreek leaves may leaves some water.
- Add oil and then knead to a smooth dough using little lukewarm water (or as required).
- Divide the dough into small portion, and roll each portion as shown in pic. rolled bread should be thin not thick.
- Heat a griddle, as shallow fry thepla using oil/ghee from both sides till light brown.
Make these theplas for kids lunchbox or whenever you need a quick and easy breakfast. Pack these while going for Picnic or while travelling. Just roll it and have it hot tea or coffee.
How to store Theplas
Theplas can be store theplas at room temperature for 4-5 days packed in an airtight container. Avoid curd/yogurt when making for longer travelling durations. These can also be stored in refrigerator for 10-15 days. did you know Theplas can also be frozen for a month?? Line each thepla between the parchment paper, pack in and aluminium foil and keep it in ziplock. Will pics whenever I make these next time.
Do give me your feedback and whenever you make this will be glad to see my pics on any of my social media handles.
FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!