The best ever Healthy Banana Bread Recipe which is Egg-free(for Vegans and those who avoid eggs in diet), All purpose Flour free and can be made dairy free. This is one of the best Eggless Banana Bread which is soft moist and so delicious loaded with all health friendly ingredients!!
Your search for the best Vegan-friendly Banana Bread Recipe ends here. It is one delicious snack for kids and grown ups alike!! Pack it for snack time in lunch boxes or enjoy with a hot cup of Cocoa or Coffee or even Ginger Tea.. a slice of this banana bread is so filling and so satiating.
Eggless Banana Bread
Using over ripe bananas to make Banana Bread is one of the best way to use them. Bananas overripe quickly especially in hot weather, instead of throwing make the best use of it.
This banana bread is so moist, soft and irresistible and you do not need any eggs to make it. Over ripe bananas work as an egg substitute. These are sufficient to bind the batter and make it soft and moist. I have added chia seeds along with pumpkin seeds which add crunch and make it more nutritious. Warm spices (Ginger and Cinnamon powder) along with Vanilla add so much of flavour. You can always add walnuts, pecans , almonds, or even raisins .
It is best for those who avoid eggs in their diet due to medical reasons or religious reasons. It is also a perfect recipe for Vegans, where you can substitute dairy milk with plant milk(almond, cashew or soy milk).
Try out this super delicious and double treat for Banana bread and Chocolate lovers
Nutella and Banana Milkshake is another delicious way to enjoy Bananas in smoothies and shakes.
How to ripen bananas
Sometimes we don't have overripe bananas and kids get sudden cravings for banana bread. Or, you can't think of any snack to pack for kids lunchbox or snack time. Or, we may have an extra bunch of bananas..
One way is if we have an extra bunch of bananas , we can put bananas overnight in paper bag and keep the bag at some warm place.
But, if you want immediate ripening then baking bananas in oven works best. and instantly. This is an easy and quick way to ripen the bananas. Switch on the oven, set the temperature to 300F or 170C.
Place bananas on a baking tray and bake till the skin turns black. It should take about 15- 20 mins.
Take out of the oven once the bananas are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and use it in the recipe.
Ingredients for Healthy Banana Bread
This banana bread is made with all the readily available ingredients in your pantry, and you can even tweak the ingredients as per the availability.
Over Ripe Bananas- Never use raw bananas and ripe bananas also are not best to use in the recipe. To get the real taste of banana bread, use OVER RIPE BANANAS. These add lot of moisture to the batter. Also, these are more sweet than the ripe bananas and make the bread so much flavorful.
You can also use All Purpose Flour or Unbleached Flour in the recipe. But I will suggest that you use Whole Wheat Flour as it more fibrous and protein rich and health friendly.
Flour- I have used Whole Wheat Flour in the recipe, it's the same that I use to make Chapatis. In US and other countries it is popular as Whole meal. You can also use All Purpose Flour or both the flours in 50:50 ratio.
Sweetener- Preferably use any good organic raw sugar like coconut sugar, raw cane sugar. I have used jaggery powder. You can also use castor sugar. Add sugar depending on the sweetness of the bananas.
Spices/Flavour- I like to add warm spices like ginger powder, cinnamon powder along with Vanilla essence. You can use all together or any of the spices or only the essence.
Fat- Any good flavorless plant oil like Avocado, Olive, Rice Bran oil are good to use in the recipe. You can also add melted butter.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda as the leavening agents.
Others- To add the crunch, I have used mix of Flax seeds, Chia seeds and Pumpkin seeds. You can always add walnuts, pecans , almonds, raisins or chocolate chips.
How to make Eggless Banana Bread
For the Video Click HERE
Preheat the oven/otg at 350 F or 180 C.
Mix all the dry ingredients except sugar.
Mash the bananas well. Use a potato masher for ease. Or, use the electric mixer also for the ease.
Then add sugar and mix nicely. Next add oil and mix.
Add dry ingredient mix into the wet ingredient mix. Add 1/4 cup milk if required (in batches).
Do not overbeat the batter. Just fold the batter lightly. It should be like the muffin batter consistency. Not too thick and not too flowy.
Transfer in a lightly oil and dusted or lined with parchment paper loaf tin. I used size.
Bake for 40-50 mins, till a tooth pick comes out clean.
Take out from the oven, keep on the counter for 2-3 mins then take out carefully and cool completely on cooling rack.
Cut and enjoy it with your favorite beverage or spread.
How long does Eggless Banana Bread Lasts and How to Store
Banana bread is good to be consumed within 4-5 days on the counter. Store in an air tight container. Keep it in a cool place.
When refrigerated it is good for a week to 10 days. Then it starts to dry out. You can always warm it in toaster. You can keep it wrapped in cling film or cut in slices and store in an air tight container.
Lasts for 2-3 months when stored in freezer. To freeze, cut the bread in slices, wrap each slice in foil or parchment paper and keep in freezer friendly container or zip lock bags. Or, wrap in a cling film and freeze the whole loaf.
Reheat the slices in a toaster(for crispy edges)/microwave(for 30 sec on HIGH). There is no need to thaw the slices.
To thaw the loaf, keep it on counter for at least 2 hrs and then reheat in oven on preheating mode at 350F or 180C. Decide the day when you want to use the whole frozen banana bread.
Do not freeze again the reheated/thawed slices. You can refrigerate but consume within a day.
Other favorite Healthy Quick Bread Recipes from the blog
Other healthy muffins and cakes from the blog
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Spatula for mixing
- Potato Masher / Fork for mashing bananas
- Loaf Tin 9"X8"x2"
- 1½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 Over Ripe Bananas
- ½ Cup Jaggery Powder or any Raw Sugar
- ¼ Cup Oil Olive, Avacado, Rice Bran etc..
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Mixed Seeds (Pumpkin, Flax, Chia)
- ½ Cup Milk(Dairy/Plant) Check Notes
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder optional
- ½ tsp Ginger Powder optional
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence optional
- Preheat Oven/Otg (with both rods and fan mode on) at 350 °F or 180°C.
- Lightly brush oil on a baking pan/loaf tin and dust it with flour. Or, line it with a parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.1½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour, 1.5 tsp Baking Powder, ½ tsp Baking Soda, ¼ tsp Salt, ½ tsp Ginger Powder, ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- In another mixing bowl, take peeled bananas and mash very finely. Use a potato masher or electric mixer.3 Over Ripe Bananas
- Add jaggery powder/sweetener and mix well.½ Cup Jaggery Powder
- Now add oil, vanilla essence(if using) and mix.¼ Cup Oil, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Add the dry ingredient mix and seeds/nuts and fold the batter.¼ Cup Mixed Seeds
- Add milk as required, in batches. You may need ¼-½ cup or a little less milk depending upon the flour used. Add if the batter is too dry. I did not add milk as bananas and oil provided enough liquid to bind the batter.½ Cup Milk(Dairy/Plant)
- Fold the batter lightly. do not overmix it.
- Transfer the batter to loaf pan/baking pan.
- Bake for 40-50 mins. at 350 °F or 180°C.
- Once done, check with a toothpick. When toothpick comes out clean or with very little crumbs without any batter, bread is done.
- Take it out, keep it on the counter for a few mins and then carefully take out of the pan and completely cool it .
- Slice and enjoy it, the way to like it to have.
- Slice it and store it in an air tight container. Stays good for 4-5 days at room temperature.
- For longer storage refrigerate or freeze it.
- To store/freeze the loaf, wrap it in aluminum foil or cling film or simply slice and wrap the individual slices in a foil/cling film and store in zip lock or air tight container.
Do make this Healthy and delicious Eggless Banana Bread. It is filing, made with all the basic ingredients available in your pantry and it is so delicious. Pack it for kids' lunchboxes or give them for evening snack with a cup of milk or hot chocolate.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!