Learn how to make Chana Dal Paratha | Stuffed Chana Dal(Lentil) Paratha recipe
Step-wise method to make Stuffed Chana Dal Paratha with instructional Video(CLICK HERE).
Chana Dal Paratha is a protein-rich and flatbread stuffed with spicy filling made with Chana Dal or Split Bengal Gram.
Nutritious paratha that one can enjoy with even with plain curd/yogurt and any pickle or chutney of of choice.
Paratha are shallow/lightly fried Indian flatbread that can be made with or without fillings. In North India paratha are the to go breakfast items in majority of homes. We love to start our day especially weekends with paratha along with a bowl of curd, butter, pickle or chutney and a cup of tea. You can find so many different paratha from plain Ajwain Paratha to various stuffed paratha. Fillings can be of potatoes(Aloo Paratha), Cauliflower(Gobhi Paratha), Mooli Ka Paratha(Radish filling), Keema Paratha for non-vegetarians and so many other variations. Leftover Dal n refrigerator.?? Knead it with flour and make Dal ka Paratha or Poori(Methi Dal Poori) .
Checkout a few Paratha recipes from the blog.. Palak Paneer Paratha,
Chana Dal/Split Bengal Gram
Chana Dal or Split Bengal Gram is very nutritious, fiber and protein rich Dal. It has very low glycemic index beneficial for diabetics, low in cholesterol and is very easily digestible.It is used very widely in Indian Cuisine. Flour of Chana Dal also known as Besan/Chickpea flour is used in various snacks and desserts preparations.
Few of the recipe on the blog that use ..
Chana Dal Stuffing in this paratha makes it more scrumptious other than making it protein rich. The medley of spices like Chaat Masala/Amchur(Dry Mango)Powder makes it more appetizing!!These are perfect to make, whenever the you run out of vegetables or want to makes one wholesome meal that you can make ahead and eat later.You don't need any side curry with it.. A bowl or plain curd or any pickle, ketchup for kids and a cup of chai for growns ups is just perfect with it!!
Can we freeze Chana Dal Paratha
You can very well freeze these paratha, and reheat on griddle/tawa or even your air fryer whenever you want to eat. Since it has cooked Dal filling, these stay good for a day or two in refrigerator.
To freeze these paratha, layer each paratha with parchment paper, wrap in aluminium foil and pack it in Ziploc bag or and air tight container.
You can also store boiled chana dal for about 1-2 days in an air-tight container. Use as required fro making paratha.
Let's see how to make Stuffed Chana Dal Paratha
Checkout the step-wise video for the recipe. CLICK HERE
Ingredients for Chana Dal Filling
Chana Dal(Split Bengal Gram), Onions, Ginger , Green Chillies and Fresh Coriander. Here in the recipe I have used Kasuri Methi(Dried Fenugreek Leaves) as I ran out of fresh coriander leaves. Also in place of green chillies I have used Red Chilli Powder. You can use either of it or skip if you avoid spicy food.
Spices used.. Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder(optional), Turmeric powder while coking dal, Chaat Masala Powder/Amchur(Dry Mango) Powder.
For Outer Covering
I used the regular Whole Wheat dough. Use soft paliable dough for making paratha. Tight dough breaks up while rolling and the texture of paratha is also does not come out good.
Method for making Chana Dal Paratha
For stuffing we need to cook Chana Dal. Soaked Dal for about 15-20 mins. before cooking, Then pressure cook it for 2 whistles. You can also cook dal in Instant pot, at Pressure Cook Mode for 8 mins and then do QPR after 1 min.
Drain the water form cooked dal. Then coarsely grind it or mash it and when it completely cools down, add onions and spices.
Do not over fill paratha with filing, dough layer may tear out while rolling.
Cook Paratha on tawa/griddle at medium heat.
Chana Dal Paratha
- Pressure Cooker to Cook Dal
- Mixing Bowl
For (dough) outer Covering
- 1½ Cup Whole Wheat flour
- ½ tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water to knead dough
For Chana Dal Filling
To Cook Dal
- 1 Cup Chana Dal/Split Bengal Gram
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-1½ Cup Water
For Chana Dal Filling with cooked Dal
- ¼ Cup Chopped Onions
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Ginger
- 1 tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves optional
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala or Dry Mango Powder(Amchur)
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- Soak Dal for about 15-20 minutes after washing nicely in tap water.
Make dough for paratha
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt, ajwain and oil. Mix well.
- Knead to a soft paliable dough with warm water. for 1 Cup of flour, use about ½ Cup just warm to touch lukewarm water.
- Once the dough is done. Keep it aside covered with a damp towel or in an air-tight container.
- Drain the water, add dal to pressure cooker. Add water, about 1½ cup for 1 cup, boil it till froth gathers on top. Discard it with a ladle.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Seal the lid and cook for two-three whistles on medium flame.
- Once done, let the pressure go off naturally. Open lid and check fro the doneness. Dal should not be too mushy. It should be little coarse when pressed between index finger and thumb
- Drain dal in colander/strainer. Reserve liquid, you can add it to soup or other cooked dal or add to flour while kneading the dough.
- Once dal is completely cool, coarsely grind it..
- Transfer to a bowl, then add all the spices, coriander/cilantro leaves, onions, green chillies.
- Check salt then only add as per your taste. I didn't add it in this step, as I had added it while cooking Dal.
- Mix everything nicely.
- Divide dough into portions for rolling out paratha.
- Divide Dal masala in equal portions to stuff in paratha.
- Roll out lightly each portion in small disc about 3-3.5" , keep stuffing in the center. Gather together the edges and seal the dough.
- Roll lightly to about 6"-7" disc. Repeat for all the portions. you can dust the dough portions with flour while rolling out.
- Heat a tawa/griddle to medium hot.
- Cook one side of paratha till bubbles appear on top. Flip it and apply little oil or ghee on it.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, flip again and cook the other side likewise. Cook paratha till both sides are light brown in color.
- Serve hot with dahi and pickle or chutney of choice.
To Cook Dal in Instant Pot
- Add dal to inner pot. Set the SAUTE MODE on for 5 mins. Add water to dal.
- Boil dal till froth gathers on top. Discard froth.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Cancel SAUTE MODE and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on for 10 mins. Seal the lid and cook dal.
- Once done, do QPR (Quick Pressure Release) and check the dal. Drain water as mentioned in above steps.
Pin for Later..
Tagging Chana Dal Paratha to my facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop, where the them this week is #flatbreadfiesta. The theme was suggested by Poonam who blogs at Annapurna. She has this traditonal flatbread recipe Maharastrian Pooran Poli, which is sweet bread made with Chana Dal and is prepared on fetive and auspicious occassions. Do hop on to her blog for more such traditional recipes and healthy bakes like these Eggless Butterless Choco Muffins !!
Do try this Chana Dal Stuffed Paratha for filling breakfast or anytime meal. Tastes best when served hot and fresh but you can always reheat and enjoy these with a cup of masala chai!!
A perfect meal wholesome meal for kids lunchbox or pack along while travelling.
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!