Last Updated on
Chana Dal Kebabs made from Chana Dal or Split Chickpea Lentil (Chana Dal) and Yam are easy, super yummy and healthy. If you are looking for an easy and healthy snack recipe for your parties and special occasions these Chana Dal Kebabs are must add on in your list. Boiled yam in the recipe keeps the kebabs moist and soft. Minimum oil is used to prepare these melt in mouth kebabs can be grilled in oven or stove-top or can also be deep fried.
I say these are healthy as these are made with Chana Dal and Yam and both have their own share of health benefits. Both have low glycemic index ideal for consumption by diabetic people. Both are gluten-free and can be consumed by those having gluten-allergies. High and fiber help to lower the cholesterol and source of zinc, folate, calcium and potassium. These are vegan as no dairy or animal product is used in ingredients. If you are a fan of Wraps and Rolls, stuff these into tortilla or any flatbread of your choice, along with some yummy yogurt-mint dip, onions and lettuce, you have the roll that tastes as good as any of your favorite tikka rolls. Pair up with burger buns with some mayo and ketchup and indulge in some healthy burger eating. Use gluten-free flatbread and buns for having gluten-free wraps, rolls or burgers.
To make these we have to soak Chana Dal for 4-5 hrs. Grind with onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies and dry spices,mix in the boiled and mashed yam, without using any water, add some chickpea flour to bind the mixture, make the patties/kebabs and cook the way you want. You can grill in oven or on stove-top in minimum oil or can fry.
Chaat Masala is optional, you can find it in Indian Grocery stores if you are not in India.
Let’s see how I make these healthy kebabs..
Chana Dal Kebabs
Soft melt in mouth Chana Dal kebabs made with split chickpea lentils and yam, gluten-free, vegan,perfect for your parties and special occasions. Learn how to make Chana Dal Kebabs
- Split Chickpea Lentil(Chana Dal)-1 Cup
- Yam(Suran/Jimikand)- 1/2 cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves-1/2 cup
- Onion- 1/2 Cup
- Ginger- 1″ Pieces
- Garlic-4-5 Cloves
- Green Chilies-2-3 as per taste
- Cumin Seeds- 1 Tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 Tbsp
- Chaat Masala- 1 Tsp(optional)
- Red Chilli Powder
- Chickpea Flour(Besan)- 1-2 Tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 1-2 Tbsp + grilling
- Wash nicely and soak Chana Dal for 4-5 hrs.
- Take roughly chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Take thoroughly washed coriander leaves.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor except chickpea flour, salt and oil and grind coarsely. Don’t add water to it. If the mixture is too tight, add 1-2 Tbsp of water not more than that.
- Add chickpea flour, oil and mix well. You can make the mixture 1-2 hrs before making the patties/kebabs. Refrigerate the mixture covered with a cling film if you want to make it later and don’t add salt if you are not making it immediately, as the mixture can leave water.
- When ready to make, mix in salt and heat a non-stick pan or a grilling pan on the stove-top, add 1-2 Tsp of oil, divide the mixture into equal portions, shape in kebabs and grill on medium heat from both sides. It takes around 5- 10 minutes for kebabs to completely cook. you can also shape these like seekh kebabs on skewers.
- Once cooked from both side, serve hot with the dip of your choice. Goes best with mint yogurt dip.
- To make vegan rolls take any flatbread or tortilla, add some lettuce or salad leaves, place kebabs on the leaves, add lots of mint-yogurt dip and onions with lemon juice, sprinkle chaat masala and enjoy the vegan wrap. Take any gluten-free flatbread to make it gluten-free wrap/roll.
If you have cut on meat/non-vegetarian and miss on the all the non-vegetarian kebabs then these soft, melt-in-mouth kebabs are the Shaami Kebabs of vegetarians. Do make these, take to potlucks or make any time whenever you need some change form the routine food. Perfect appetizer for parties and movie-night or game-night and those who have any kind of dietary restrictions can fully enjoy these!!
Do give feedback in the comments section and whenever you make these do post a pic of these on my FB page, tag me on Instagram or Pin the recipe to save it.
If you like my work, follow the blog to get updates on the latest posts and do share it your loved ones too.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back for more such healthy and yummy recipes.