Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs Recipe | Learn to make Split Chickpeas Lentil and Yam Patties or Kebabs
Gluten-free Vegan, melt in Mouth Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs
Chana Dal Kebabs made from Chana Dal or Split Chickpea Lentil (Chana Dal) and Yam are easy, super yummy and healthy.
If you are looking for an easy and healthy snack recipe for your parties and special occasions these Chana Dal Kebabs are must add on in your list.
Boiled yam in the recipe keeps the kebabs moist and soft. Minimum oil is used to prepare these melt in mouth kebabs can be baked in oven/ grilled or cooked on stove-top.
Health Benefits of Chana Dal and Yam
These soft melt in mouth kebabs/patties are healthy as these are made with Chana Dal and Yam and both have their own share of health benefits.
- Both the main ingredients have low glycemic index ideal for consumption by diabetic people.
- Both are gluten-free and can be consumed by those having gluten-allergies.
- High in fiber help to lower the cholesterol and source of zinc, folate, calcium and potassium.
- These are vegan as no dairy or animal product is used in ingredients.
If you are a fan of Wraps and Rolls, stuff these into tortilla or any flatbread of your choice, along with some yummy yogurt-mint dip, onions and lettuce, you have the roll that tastes as good as any of your favorite tikka rolls.
Pair up with burger buns with some mayo and ketchup and indulge in some healthy burger eating. Use gluten-free flatbread and buns for having gluten-free wraps, rolls or burgers.
How to make Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs
Make these melt in mouth kebabs is at all time consuming or difficult. To make these we have to soak Chana Dal for 4-5 hrs. Grind with onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies and dry spices,mix in the boiled and mashed yam, without using any water, add some chickpea flour to bind the mixture, make the patties/kebabs and cook the way you want. You can grill in oven or on stove-top in minimum oil or can fry.
Chaat Masala is available at all Indian grocery stores. Check Recipe Card for quick chaat masala.
Stepwise Pics to make Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs/Patties
Some other Vegan and Vegetarian KEbabs/Patties from the blog..
Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs
- 1 Cup Split Chickpea Lentil(Chana Dal)
- ½ Cup Yam(Suran/Jimikand)
- 1-2 tbsp Chickpea Flour(Besan) or add more if required
- ¼ Cup Fresh Coriander Leaves
- ½ Cup Finely Minced Onion
- 1" Fresh Ginger piece
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 Green Chilies or as required
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder as required
- 1-2 tbsp Oil for patties and as required for grilling
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- Wash nicely and soak Chana Dal for 4-5 hrs.
- Take roughly chopped onion, ginger, garlic and green chilies. Take thoroughly washed coriander leaves.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor except chickpea flour, salt and oil and grind coarsely. Don't add water to it. If the mixture is too tight, add 1-2 Tbsp of water not more than that.
- Add chickpea flour, oil and mix well. You can make the mixture 1-2 hrs before making the patties/kebabs.
- Refrigerate the mixture covered with a cling film if you want to make it later and don't add salt if you are not making it immediately, as the mixture can leave water.
- When ready to make, mix in salt and heat a non-stick pan or a grilling pan on the stove-top.
- Add 1-2 Tsp of oil, divide the mixture into equal portions, shape into patties and grill on medium heat from both sides.
- It takes around 10-15 minutes for kebabs to completely cook from both sides. You can also shape these like seekh kebabs on skewers.
- Once cooked from both side, serve hot with the dip of your choice. Goes best with mint yogurt dip.
To make Kebab Wrap
- To make vegan rolls take any flatbread or tortilla, add some lettuce or salad leaves, place kebabs on the leaves, add lots of mint-(vegan) yogurt dip and onions with lemon juice, sprinkle chaat masala and enjoy the vegan wrap. Take any gluten-free flatbread to make it gluten-free wrap/roll.
Storing the Kebabs
- You can also refrigerate these Kebabs in an airtight container or freeze for a week in freezer friendly container.
Do make these, take to potlucks or make any time whenever you need some change form the routine food. Perfect appetizer for parties and movie-night or game-night and those who have any kind of dietary restrictions can fully enjoy these!!
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!