Rajasthani Special Gatte ka Pulao also known as Ram Pulao, is rice preparation where aromatic basmati rice is cooked with besan gatte(steamed and then fried gram flour dumplings) in Indian spices.
No onion no garlic Gatte Ka Pulao recipe with Stove-top Pressure Cooker and Instant Pot Method included.
The pulao is cooked on festive or special occasions. Due to the climatic conditions of Rajasthan, vegetables are always not available throughout the year. Steamed, soft besan dumplings along with nuts like cashew nuts and raisins are added to make it a festive treat.
I love Rajasthani Cuisine, be it the Kachoris(Mawa Kachori Aur Pyaz Ki Kachoris), Dal Baati or Papad ki Subzi or Moong Dal Halwa. The food is full in flavours with Indian spices and is cooked in desi ghee and easily available ingredients. I learnt most of my Rajasthani Cuisine form few of my college friends while doing my college from Rajasthan and from a Nita Mehta's cookbook that a dear friend gifted me years back.
What is Gatte..
To make gatte pulao, we need gatte. To make gatte, we knead Gram flour/besan with spices and curd/yogurt, rolled in cylindrical form, steamed in boiling water cut into pieces, fried and added to pulao preparation. Making gatte may seem a long process, but believe the pulao gets ready within 30 minutes.
Gatte Curry a yogurt based curry, is another spicy treat that is prepared with gatte. Whenever people make Gatte Curry, they always make some extra gatte and to make pulao. It can served to your guest on special occasions or can be packed to lunch box for a wholesome meal.
To make soft gatte, knead a soft dough. Yogurt/Curd and cream is added to besan for soft gatte.
Let's see how I make this flavorful and spicy Gatte Ka Pulao..
Gatte Ka Pulao
For making Gatte
- 1 Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 2-3 tbsp Yogurt/Curd
- 1 tbsp Cream
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
For Gatte Pulao
- 2 Cups Basamati Rice
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 2-3 Green Cardamons
- 1-2 Black Cardamoms
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies(optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Desi ghee/Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Peas/Green Choliya(Chana) optional
- 1 Potato(medium) optional)
- 10-12 Cashew Nuts optional
- 10-12 Raisins optional
- Oil to shallow fry Gatte
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins -1 hr.
- Make all the ingredients under Gatte section, and knead to a soft dough. Add more yogurt if required. Do not any water to knead the dough.
- Lightly oil the palms and roll out the dough in the form of cylinders as shown in the pic below.
- Boil 4-5 cups of water in a pan, when the water comes to roaring boil, add gatte to it. Boil for 10-15 minutes in it.
- Let it cool and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- In a pan take oil, when the oil is hot enough, fry gatte till light brown, take out and keep aside.
To make Pulao
- Wash and soak rice for 30 mins -1 hr. Coarsely crush ginger and chillies to a rough paste.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds, asafoetida and whole garam masala to it..
- Add peas and fried gatte to it. You can also add cashew nuts and raisins, potatoes.
- Add the powdered masala(coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala).
- Add rice and salt and mix.
- Add water just enough to soak rice. Cook for 1-2 whistle, take off the flame and keep aside. Open once the pressure goes off.
- Fluff lightly with fork or spoon. Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with chutneys or raita.
To cook in Instant Pot
- Prepare and fry gatte as per the gatte recipe.
- Switch on the saute mode. Follow the steps of making Pulao till adding rice and water.
- Cancel the saute mode, switch on the pressure cook mode , set the timer to 5 mins. Once the timer goes off, release the pressure with QPR (quick Pressure Release), check for the doneness of rice and fluff with fork or spoon and serve hot.
Stepwise pics for Gatte Ka Pulao..
Make it in Instant Pot/ Pressure Cooker or open pan as per your preference
Do make this spicy Pulao for your special occasions and festivals like Holi, Teej or Diwali get together. I served this Rajasthani Lehsun Ki chutney and Boondi raita. Yogurt based curries like Kadhi also go well with it.
Do give me your feedback and you can get in touch with me anytime if you have any queries..
Say hello to me on my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest and Instagram. Whenever you make this,do post on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. Pin the recipes for later use.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
This is 7th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April'19.
Day 7.. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4.. D for Dhaniya Pulao
Day 5. E.. Easy Steamed Rice in Instant Pot with Pot in Pot Method
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#99
Renu Agrawal Dongre
Gatte ka pulao looks awesome, I too made this, but just skipped the shallow frying part. Would love to try your version. Awesome pick for the letter G.
The Pulao looks beautiful and yummy! Beautiful presentation! Lovely pick for G!
Such an elaborate dish this is and you have made it so tempting and tasty. Lovely pick for G
Awesome Swati, the pulao looks stunning. I have this coming up. Though I am yet to make it. Can't wait to make it.
Yes Srivalli.. will wait for your version It’s tastes yumm
same pinch, Swati ! I too posted this for today 🙂 the pulao looks absolutely smashing.. we too loved it when I made it at home...
Gattas taste awesome on their own and a pulao with them sounds so delicious . Simple yet exotic , this Rajasthani rice is perfect for parties too .
Your presentation is simply superb and the pulao looks so inviting. Between I love Rajasthani cuisine as well. I learned and still learning from my marwari friend. 🙂
Gatte adds a nice crunch element in the pulao. The pulao looks fantastic Swati.
Looks so beautiful & delicious.This is really a unique rice dish.
Thanks Megala for always taking your time out and reading out my posts!!
I had made something like this long time back and we loved it. I am sure there are some sall variations. I shall check to see the differences and try this version.
Love this satvik Pulao. The ghattes add a lovely crunch and make this an inviting meal.
The platter looks so tempting.. This is really unique and a must try..
I love this pulav, many memories with it.