Crispy Gobhi 65 recipe | How to make Gobhi 65 | Crispy Vegan and Gluten-free Cauliflower 65
Let's learn how to make Gobhi 65, a delicious restaurant style starter/snack served in South Indian Restaurants and also a famous street food.
A perfect snack for your parties and get together or tea time. You can serve this also as side dish with your main meal like dal rice or chapatis.
It is very simple easy and no fuss recipe that takes straight 30 mins from start to finish.
What is Gobhi 65/Cauliflower 65
Cauliflower florets marinated in a batter of spices and flour, deep fried and then tossed with green chillies, onions. This is a popular street food that I ate when I visited Coimbatore few years back. I was there for a day and my friend took me to treat the street food delicacies there. In North India we make Gobhi ke Pakode(Cauliflower fritters in chickpea flour), that are served with ketchup or spicy green chutney. I just loved this way of making cauliflower that was quite different from our North Indian style.
Why the name Gobhi 65
The origin of the name is not sure, lot of theories are there. One piece of history says, it is known to be the vegetarian version of Chicken 65, a dish, that was offered to soldiers in a the menu of Chennai Cantt. was on 65th no. Checkout this link here to know more about the history of the famous Chicken 65 which gave way to the vegetarian option Gobhi 65.
Cauliflower Stories is the theme for this week's Foodie Monday Bloghop. The theme was suggested by Preethi who owns Preethi's Cuisine, a repository of delicious and easy to make dishes from South Indian Cuisine and around the world. Preethi made for the theme..Oven Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
Cauliflower needs no introduction. A favoured vegetable for Vegans and Vegetarians, it is loaded with proteins and other vital nutrients. Not only in Indian Cuisine, but you can make numerous dishes from the international Cuisine too.
Aloo Gobhi is a one of the most favourite dry subzi, that North Indians love to make when it's cauliflower season.
Tandoori Gobhi is another delicious starter that you can add to your menu for parties and get togethers.
Try the Indo-Chinese version of Gobhi Manchurian by Nams Corner
Can we make Baked/Air Fried Gobhi 65
Need a low oil/non fried version of Cauliflower? Surely you can prepare cauliflower in your air fryer/bake in oven. For big batches when I make for parties I bake and air fry it when I have to make a small batch for my family only, as my air fryer was fit a family of 4.
This post I am covering the deep fried version, but will soon update the low version also. Since we moved back to India from US, 2 months back, we are still to settle down properly here. I am waiting to get an air fryer and oven as due to covid situation preferred brands are out of stock.
Hopefully soon I will get my equipments and will update the post with pictures(baked/air fried). Detailed method is posted in Recipe Card..
Ingredients for Gobhi 65/Cauliflower 65
Fresh Cauliflower- Choose cauliflower that is fresh and free from any spots or marks. Sometimes Cauliflower has hidden worms in the small florets which are not clearly seen. For that while cleaning it, dip the florets in warm water with a tsp of salt for about 15-20 mins. It acts as a dehydrated for worms and kills it. Throw the water and then rinse the florets again in clean water.
For Coating (Batter)- Usually a mix of maida (all purpose flour) and rice flour is used. But here I have used ARROWROOT for the batter. It is like corn-flour, gluten-free and gives a nice crispy coating.
For Vegan Friendly Gobhi 65, use plant based yogurt like Cashew yogurt /Soy Yogurt
Other ingredients with detailed amount are in Recipe Card.
Usually Bell Peppers are not added to this dish, but to make it more colorful and add a bit of crunch, I add these. Also, my kids love crunchy bell peppers. A wonderful way to include veggies in kid's meal.
There are many variations to make Gobhi 65, here i am giving my simple version where you can adjust the amount of heat (red chilli powder) that is liked even by my kids.
Adjust the amount of chilli used when making for kids.
How to make Crispy Gobhi 65
Make batter and fry Cauliflower florets
Can we make ahead Gobhi 65
It always tastes best when served fresh and hot. But if you are preparing for party, then you can marinate cauliflower florets and refrigerate for a couple of hours. You can also fry it 1-2 hrs ahead of serving. But do not keep the fried and then tempered cauliflower for a long time before serving. Fried Florets turn soggy and lose the crispness.
If too pressed on time, you can make 1-2 hr ahead and keep in preheated oven till the time of serving or reheat in bake mode at 400F or 200C for about 10 mins.. Never reheat it in microwave mode. It will lose all the crispness and will not taste good.
To Blanch Cauliflower
- 1 medium Cauliflower 2 cups
- 1 tsp salt
- Water as required
For Batter to coat Cauliflower
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch/Arrowroot
- ½ Cup Yogurt/Curd use plant based yogurt for vegan-friendly version
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic and Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder as per spice preference
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- a pinch Caraway seeds Ajwain optional
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder or any spice mix used in curries
- 4-5 Curry Leaves or Cilantro/Fresh Coriander(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- Oil to fry Cauliflower
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- 1-2 Dry Whole Red Chillies
- 1 medium Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cubed colored Bell Peppers(as required) optional
- Finely Chopped Fresh Coriander/Cilantro for garnish
- ¼ tsp Salt to adjust the taste
- Nicely wash Cauliflower
- Cut in medium sized florets
- In a pan take water, warm it. Switch off the gas,
- Add salt and cauliflower florets. Let it sit for about 15 mins.
- After 15 mins. drain water and then rinse once in fresh clean water.
- In a mixing bowl, add arrowroot/cornstarch. You can also use mix of maida (all purpose flour) and cornstarch(cornflour).
- Add half of yogurt(¼ cup). red chilli powder, caraway seeds/ajwain, salt , curry leaves, a tsp of oil and mix well.
- Add cauliflower florets and coat nicely with the batter. Batter should not be thin. Let it rest for about 5-10 mins.
Deep Fry Method
- In a kadhai/heavy bottomed pan, heat oil. Drop a pinch of batter, if it starts rising slowly, add batter coated cauliflower florets and fry on medium heat till light brown.
- Take out on an absorbent kitchen towel.
Air Fryer Method
- Add a tsp of more oil when air frying. As cauliflower is dry and does not have too much water in it. It may become very dry after air frying or baking.
- Preheat air fryer at 350 F or 180C.
- Arrange coated cauliflower florets in the basket on the mesh or use a parchment paper/silicone sheet.
- Switch on the air fryer mode, and set the timer to 15 mins. Check after 12 mins. if florets are done take out. Else do it for full 15 mins.
- In between toss florets when air fryer indicated to turn food.
Oven Bake Method
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Bake for about 15 mins.
Temper Cauliflower florets
- In a bowl add yogurt(take rest of ¼ cup), red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, salt.
- In a pan add oil, dry whole red chilli, curry leaves. Add sliced onions, cubed bell peppers. Saute for a 1-2 mins.
- Add yogurt/curd mix. Saute and mix nicely.
- Add fried/baked cauliflower florets.
- Mix lightly, toss a few times and then serve hot.
- Garnish with fresh finely chopped coriander/cilantro leaves.
Do make this gluten-free vegan-friendly snack Gobhi 65, in whichever way you like. It is a delicious appetizer for your get togethers and parties.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!