Mix. Veg Pulao, a medley of vegetables with rice and Indian Spices for a quick meal option.
A mild spicy but flavourful Rice Pulao dish, that can be made in jiffy with limited vegetables. It is good to go with any raita, plain yogurt or even green chutney. This is one of the frequent pulao that I make for weekend brunch. It can packed and taken for picnic potlucks and is definitely a party pleaser. There are very minimum spices used in this Pulao so it is definitely kids friendly and a good lunch box meal option.
The real taste of this Pulao comes from the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes. This is again another recipe from my Mom. She used to make this pulao especially in winters when fresh seasonal peas, red carrots and other winter veggies were available. She also used to add soya chunks along with vegetables for the protein factor. I loved to and still love to have this with plain Dhaniya Chutney. My daughter too likes to have this the same way. A spoonful of desi ghee, takes the taste of this Mixed Veg Pulao to another level!!
What we need to make this Pulao..
Any combination of mix veggies like peas, carrots, potatoes, beans, corns or mushrooms. The veggies are cooked in ginger garlic, onion tomato masala with whole spices like cinnamon, black cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and black pepper.
A good quality basmati rice and Soya Chunks(optional).
This pulao can be cooked in Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot or in Open Pan. The basic process of making masala for the pulao till mixing and adding rice is same for all the three methods. Please the recipe card for details on the cooking method..
You can cook it in desi ghee and good vegetable oil( for vegans).
Let’s see how I make this Mixed Veg Pulao.
Mixed Vegetable Pulao
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup Peas(Fresh/Frozen)
- 1/4 Cup Cubed Carrots
- 1/4 Cup French Beans
- 1/2 Cup Soya Chunks optional
- 1 Onion(Medium)
- 2 Tomatoes(Medium)
- 3-4 Garlic
- 1" Ginger piece
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(small)
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1-2 tbsp Vegetable Oil/Desi Ghee
- Wash rice in running water 2-3 times.Soak in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
- If adding Soya Chunks...Boil water in a pan, add salt, when the water boils add soya chunks to it. Switch off the flame and keep for 2-3 minutes or till soya chunks absorb water and become soft. Drain water from the pan, and squeeze water from the chunks. Keep aside.
- Make a coarse paste of ginger and garlic with green chilli(optional) . You can use store bought Ginger Garlic paste also.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes. If using frozen mixed veggies, soak in warm water 2-3 minutes.
- Switch on the Instant Pot to SAUTE MODE, set the timer to 10 minutes.(it may take less time,later you can cancel it.
- When the display shows HOT,add oil and cumin seeds. Once the seeds crackle, add ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Garlic tends to stick to the bottom of Instant Pot, you can keep SAUTE Mode on medium, and take care not to burn the bottom.
- Add onions and fry till light brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till mushy and soft.
- Add the mix veggies , garam masala, red chilli(optional). I do not add red chilli powder as I use green chilli.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice , add to the mix veggies masala. Also add salt as required or as per your taste.
- Add water to Pulao mix , the level of water should be just half inch above the rice, if you have soaked rice for at least 20 minutes.
Cancel the SAUTE MODE and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on (HIGH) for 6 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, wait for a minute then manually release the pressure with quick pressure release(QPR).
- Check for the doneness of rice, fluff rice lightly with fork. You can add a spoonful of Desi Ghee and mix lightly before serving it. My kids love to add butter in itas per them it tastes yumm with butter.
- Serve hot with any Raita/Plain Yogurt or even Buttermilk and chutney or pickle of your choice.
Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow the procedure for making masala, cook rice for 2 whistles. Let the pressure go naturally.
- Open and check for the doneness of Rice grains,fluff with fork and serve hot.
Do make this super yum Mixed Vegetable Pulao. Serve this Mixed Veg. Pulao to your guests for on special occasions with any Paneer based or rich curry and some naans. A perfect light menu for your guests and get togethers . A wholesome and filling meal for your busy weekends or evenings.
I am sure you and your loved ones will love this. Make it on special occasions, festivals or get togethers.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
This is 13th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April’19.
Day 13. M..Mixed Vegetable Pulao
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
Day 12. L.. Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani
Day 13. M..Mixed Veg Pulao