Lehsuni Sev Recipe | Learn how to make spicy Garlic flavoured Sev for snacks and tea time
Lehsuni Sev or Garlic flavoured Sev is a spicy and delicious snack for tea time. As the name suggests it is flavoured with garlic/lehsun. Ajwain /Caraway seeds also add a distinct flavour to this crispy snack. Made with Chickpea flour it is a Gluten-free and Vegan snack. With a cup of hot masala Tea or with your drinks it a perfect snack to enjoy the evening with your friends.
Lehsuni Sev is a popular snack from the state of Rajasthan. I U.P homes we make masala sev or aloo bhujiya. During my stay in Rajasthan during my college years, I tasted this delicious snack. Rajasthani snacks /namkeen are very popular across India. I always used to take few packs back home as my parents also loved it. Later mom started making it at home also, as the recipe was not very different the regular sev.
Sev for those of you don't know are savory deep fried noodles made mainly with besan/chickpea flour.There are many variations to sev with resepct to spices and herbs used in it. These kind of deep fried/baked savoury snacks are known as Namkeen in India. These are mainly served for evening tea time or when guests arrive. In India people can't do without their evening tea and they need to have some sort of snack with it. These are also served with tea and drinks when guests visit and made in bulk during festival time.
The most important part of making Sev is the SEV Making Machine. It is kitchen gadget that has been used in Indian Kitchens since ancient times to make various snack recipes.
It is very easy and quick recipe of you have SEV Making machine. I recently bought this from Amazon, as it is always better to make homemade snacks at home.
Some of the Namkeen or dry snacks for festivals and tea time from my blog which you can easily make at home..
Ingredients to make Lehsuni Sev
Chickpea Flour- is the main ingredient to make traditional Lehsuni Sev.Though you can try with other flours like millets(jowar/ragi).
Garlic- Add in good amount as it is the main flavour in this snack.
Ajwain/Caraway Seeds- Adda unique flavour to chickpea flour/besan based snacks. Also, many times fried snacks are heavy on stomach, ajwain seeds help in digestion of the fried food.
Red Chilli Powder- Spice level can be adjusted as per one's preference and spice tolerance.
Salt as per taste.
Oil for frying and to add in the dough.
All the ingredients are available at your nearest grocery/Indian stores. Or, you can buy from amazon also.
Method to make Lehsuni Sev/Garlic Sev
Main step is to make garlic and spice paste. Many people like to make a smooth paste, but I like to keep it coarse. In a grinder add spices, garlic cloves with 1-2 tbsp of water and grind. We like small bits of burnt/deep fried garlic(as small bits get deep fried) that come in sev bites.
How long does Lehsuni Sev Stays Fresh
Keep sev in airtight container. If you keep it open for long it will turn soggy and will not taste good. Shelf life is 15 -20 days, as we are not using any preservatives or baking soda.
- Mixing Bowl
- Heavy Bottomed Kadhai for deep frying
- Sev Making Machine/Sev Sancha
- 1½ Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli Powder(Kashmiri/Deggi) or as required
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¾-1 tsp Salt to taste or as per taste
- Oil for Frying
- In a chutney grinder/Spice grinder, take garlic cloves, red chilli powder and ½ tsp ajwain seeds.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and grind to a coarse/smooth paste.
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, rest of the spices, salt and garlic paste.
- Knead to a soft pliable dough. It should not be very sticky.
- Take clean and dry sev making machine/sev sancha/chakli maker. It should be cleana nd dry from inside.
- Brush oil inside it.
- Add dough in it and take the jali/mesh with holes of required thickness. Close the cover.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadhai/pan.
- Drop a little dough into the hot oil to check whether the oil is ready to fry sev. The dough piece should sizzle and rise up immediately.
- Press and drop the dough in hot oil in circular motion. It will come like noodles.
- Take care to fry the noodles as the oil is hot. Fry till sev starts turning to pale brow/ light golden in color.
- Take out on a kitchen towel.
- Repeat with rest of the dough.
- Once it cools down break sev/noodles in desired size and keep in an airtight container.
Shop the ingredients and Sev Machine here
Tagging my post to theme #272Diwali for my facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop , where all the members are dishing out recipes for the Diwali festival.
Do try this Lehsuni Sev recipe for your daily snacking or during festival time like Holi and Diwali., when guests visit. You can serve it for Tea time or even at your cocktail parties. Adjust the spice level if making for kids.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!