Lemon Rice Recipe | How to make Lemon Rice | Chitraana Recipe
Bursting with the flavors of lemon and curry leaves, here I bring you the Lemon Rice Recipe. One of the most easy to make and flavourful rice.
About the Recipe
Lemon Rice is a no-onion no-garlic, gluten-free and suitable for vegans recipe.
As the famous saying... When Life gives you Lemons make some Lemonade.. but I ill tell you make this refreshing lemon rice !! with the summery lemony flavour and crunch of nuts and lentils.
It is one of the best ways to use leftover rice, a light dish for hot summer afternoon with chilled plain yogurt or any raita and it is also quick wholesome dish to packing lunch box. Kids and grown ups all love this citrusy rice.
Ingredients to make Lemon Rice
Boiled Rice/Steamed Rice- Any long grain variety of rice is good in this recipe. I always use long grain Basmati rice for any rice preparations , but you can use any other variety of your your choice. Do not use over boiled and mushy rice in the recipe.
Lemon Juice- Use juice of 1 lemon /lime. For a more robust lemony flavour, use lemon zest also along with lemon juice.
Lentils-- like Chana Dal(Split Chickpeas Lentils, Urad Dal(Split Black Gram Skinned) are use for the crunch and also add flavour. Peanuts, Cashew nuts also add nice crunch and flavour of rice.
Spices--Cumin seeds, mustard seeds (rai), turmeric powder for the beautiful yellow color. I prefer using fresh curry leaves for this rice, but incase you do not have access to fresh ones you can add the dried ones also. Do not have curry leaves at all.. do not worry, add few fresh basil leaves, trust me it adds a nice flavour to it.
Fresh ginger and green chilies along with whole red chilies for flavour and spicy kick.
How to make Lemon Rice
Use left over rice from previous day or make a fresh batch. When using fresh rice in the recipe, always cool and refrigerate it for at least 30 mins. If you do not want mushy rice dish, it is always better to refrigerate it. Do not use hot rice.
Prepare tempering with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Add lentils and fry peanuts and cashew nuts till light golden brown. You can also fry a batch of peanuts and cashew nuts and store. Use it directly in recipe.
Finally add rice, spices, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt.
Stepwise pics to make Lemon Rice
More fried rice recipes from blog
- Non stick pan/ Kadhai
- 2 Cups Cooked Steamed Rice
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Broken Cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Mixed Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Dhuli Urad Dal
- 1-2 Dry Whole Red Chilli
- 1-2 Green Chillies use as required
- 7-8 Fresh Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- In a non-stick pan or kadhai, add oil, once the oil is warm enough, add mustard seeds.1 tbsp Oil/Ghee, 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Once the seeds crackle, add cumin seeds and let it sizzle.1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- Keep the heat of gas-stove to medium. Add lentils sauté for a minute, add peanuts and cashew nut and fry for 1-2 minutes, till you get the nutty aroma of roasted nuts.1 tbsp Peanuts, 1 tsp Mixed Chana Dal, 1 tsp Dhuli Urad Dal, 1 tbsp Broken Cashew nuts
- Add curry leaves whole red chilli and slit green chilies if using.1-2 Dry Whole Red Chilli, 7-8 Fresh Curry Leaves, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Add rice, turmeric powder, salt, lemon rind and lemon juice and mix lightly, do not overmix.2 Cups Cooked Steamed Rice, 1 tbsp Lemon juice, 1 tsp Lemon zest, 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder, Salt to taste
- Serve hot.
Do try this citrusy Lemon Rice my way.. a light and nutritious meal for hot summer days. Whenever you make it do share your feedback.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!