Learn how to make Restaurant Style Pineapple Raita | Ananas Raita Recipe with Video and Detailed instructions
Refreshing Pineapple Raita or Ananas Raita is a delicious side with your meals. The sweet and a bit tangy raita with tones of mint coriander and cumin powder adds so much flavour to your meals and makes the most simplest meals so inviting.
Juicy Pineapple with Pomegranate Arils in chilled and sweet yogurt with essential Indian spices and herbs for everyday meal or special occasions.
The recipe is GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN FRIENDLY AND KIDS' FRIENDLY
Vegans can use any good plant based yogurt like cashew yogurt to make raita.
- About Pineapple Raita
- Ingredients to make Pineapple Raita/Ananas Raita
- How to make Ananas Raita
- Can we used Canned Pineapple in Raita Recipe
- Why we have to cook Pineapple pieces before adding to the recipe
- Can we add other Fruits and Vegetables to Pineapple Raita
- How long can we keep the Pineapple Raita
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Cad for Ananas Raita
- Pineapple Raita/Ananas Raita
About Pineapple Raita
It is a yogurt based side dish or accompaniment with sweet and juicy pineapple pieces in Indian spices like roasted cumin powder, red chilli flakes and chaat masala.
It is one of most popular raita dishes served in Indian restaurants. In summers there are days when I don't feel like having proper lunch and want something light, filling and refreshing, Pineapple Raita is the perfect savior.
It is not only a condiment but also can be enjoyed as dessert at the end of your meals.
Perfect to have on fasting days or serve on special occasions for get togethers and festivals.
Nutritional Benefits of Pineapple
Pineapple is a super delicious and healthy tropical fruit. It is loaded with antioxidants, nutrients like vitamins like Vit C., minerals like manganese. It may aid in digestion, has has cancer reducing properties. Summers are the best time to enjoy juicy sweet pineapple in form of smoothies, juices, popsicles or ice-cream, in salads and even curries.
Recipes with Pineapple on the blog that you will love to try
Grilled Pineapple( you can add chopped pieces of grilled pineapple to raita)
I also like to add pineapple to salads like these
Ingredients to make Pineapple Raita/Ananas Raita
Fresh Yogurt- Use fresh plain curd/yogurt. It should not be sour as it spoils the taste of raita.
Pineapple-Use ripe, juicy fresh pineapple. Cook pineapple and cool it completely before adding to raita.
Pomegranate Arils- Add color increase the visual appeal of raita and enhances the nutritional value.
Herbs- Fresh Mint and Coriander/Cilantro Leaves. Aids in digestion and has cooling effect on body.
Spices- Roasted Cumin Powder, Sugar(Raw Cane Sugar), Red Chilli Flakes. All the spices used in raita aid in digestion.
When making for kids avoid chilli flakes and add a pinch of black pepper.
Add 1 tsp sugar while cooking pineapple and 1 tsp or as required in yogurt while making raita.
You can also add Chaat masala if you do not have roasted cumin powder. Add salt carefully as Chaat masala already has some amount of salt.
How to make Ananas Raita
First cook pineapple, cool it completely.
Take yogurt in a bowl, add all the spices to it and whisk it yogurt nicely till smooth.
Add pineapple pieces, chopped herbs, and pomegranate arils.
Cover and refrigerate till the time of serving.
Checkout the detailed recipe instructions and video in recipe card.
Can we used Canned Pineapple in Raita Recipe
Many people do add canned pineapple pieces in the recipe, but personally I don't like it in raita. I do add canned Pineapple in Smoothie Pineapple Lassi that I make. In raita I feel the canned pieces make it taste a bit different. You can try and decide yourself.
My recommendation is use Fresh Pineapple for Raita.
Why we have to cook Pineapple pieces before adding to the recipe
Fresh pineapple when added to milk or curd/yogurt may turn bitter or curdles the dairy product. It is due to the bromelain enzyme present in the fruit. The enzyme acts on the milk protein and breaks it down which may result in bitter taste or curdle the dairy product(milk/yogurt).
You can either saute pineapple pieces or boil in little water for 2-3 minutes or even add grilled pineapple pieces to add caramelized flavour.
Can we add other Fruits and Vegetables to Pineapple Raita
Yes you can add fruits like grapes, apple, berries or banana. Many people also add finely chopped onions but I avoid it, and keep it onion and garlic free.
How long can we keep the Pineapple Raita
Pineapple Raita is best when freshly served. You can make ahead 1-2 hrs before serving. I will suggest to make and consume it one the same day.
Leftovers can be refrigerated in an air-tight container preferably glass and finish off the other day.
Pineapple Raita goes best with spicy curries(Dum Aloo, Paneer Jalfrezi and many more curries), pulao (Mix. Vegetable Pulao), biryanis(Jackfruit/Kathal Biryani, Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani) and even khichdi(Moong Dal Khichdi, Chana Dal Khichdi).
You can also have it when fasting for Navratri or Shivratri.
Some more Raita Recipes from the blog to serve for everyday meals or special occasions
Recipe Cad for Ananas Raita
Pineapple Raita/Ananas Raita
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- 1 Cup Fresh Plain Curd/Yogurt
- ½ Cup Chopped Pineapple pieces
- 2 tbsp Pomogrante Arils
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander/Cilantro Leaves
- 7-8 tbsp Mint Leaves
- 1+1 tsp Raw Cane Sugar
- Red Chilli Flakes or Red Chilli Powder as required
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Black Salt as required
- Chaat Masala(as required) optional
- Heat ½ cup water in a pan.½ Cup Chopped Pineapple pieces
- Cook pineapple pieces with 1 tsp sugar for 2-3 mins.1+1 tsp Raw Cane Sugar
- Take out the pieces in a seperate bowl and let it cool completely.
- In a bowl, add yogurt cumin powder, red chilli flakes, balck salt(as required).1 Cup Fresh Plain Curd/Yogurt, 1+1 tsp Raw Cane Sugar, Red Chilli Flakes or Red Chilli Powder, 1 tsp Cumin Powder, Black Salt
- Instead of cumin powder you can also add chaat masala. Add salt carefully after tasting as Chaat masala already contains some salt.
- Whisk it till smooth and creamy.
- Add cooled pienapple pieces, pomogrante arils, chopped cilantro leaves.1 tbsp Chopped Coriander/Cilantro Leaves, 2 tbsp Pomogrante Arils
- Tear mint leaves roughly with hand and add to raita.7-8 tbsp Mint Leaves
- Mix well, cover and chill till the time of serving.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!