Video Recipe Link for Power Packed Granola--CLICK HERE
About the Recipe
Looking for the best Homemade Granola recipe for your whole family especially kids whom you find it difficult to feed nuts!! This Powder Packed Granola as I call It!! is better than any store bought Granola with No Artificial Sugar.
Rich in fibers, protein and minerals packed Granola which are ideal for anytime snacking, kids snack box or a quick wholesome breakfast with milk.
A wholesome, Gluten-free option snack for those who are pressed on time or are too fussy to eat nuts.
What is Granola
Granola is a mix of nuts, seeds, like pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds with rolled oats, rice puffs, wheat cereals, cornflakes. Coconut flakes , dried fruits like cranberries, blueberries, raisins or black currants can also be added to it. All the ingredients of granola are mixed, roasted together, mixed with sweeteners and then baked. You can also add handful of chocolate chips to make it more appealing to your kids.
Granola are mostly eaten at breakfast time with yogurt, fruits, honey or milk is a wholesome breakfast that keeps filled for a long time during morning hours. Top your ice-cream scoops with a spoonful of granola for some crunch!!
These Granola clusters/bars come handy for me to pack in kids snack box, where my super active 8 yr old and always busy teenager need something to finish up quickly and makes them feeling full for a long time.
Are Granola bars good and healthy
- Homemade Granola bars are loaded with all the health friendly ingredients. You can customize these as per your nutritional requirements. Moreover these are free from any kind of synthetic sweeteners like corn syrup and various other additive.
- Granola bars are best for the kids who have sit for long studying hrs., go for various activities or just don't like to munch on bowl full of nuts.
- Working professionals can conveniently carry these packed in their snack boxes and have a bite in between rushing to long continuous meetings.
- All the time busy homemakers who are up on their feet from morning till night.. handful of clusters with or without yogurt/milk in form of breakfast bowl or snack, takes care of dietary requirements for a long time.
Video Recipe Link for Power Packed Homemade Granola--CLICK HERE
Super Seeds and Nuts
Super Seeds and Nuts are packed with essential ingredients required for our bodies. Packed with proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins these are power houses of nutrition, a kind of energy fuels for our bodies. Super Seeds like Chia, Flaxseeds, Sesame Seeds, Pumpkin seeds may seem to a small or tiny but these are rich storehouse of fibers and antioxidants.
Though these should be included in our diets on regular basis and as per our dietary preferences but one should also not over indulge in these. Also, the best time to have these is the morning or mid morning time when our bodies need much needed energy for the entire day.
It is best to consume nuts in raw form or lightly roasted. In Indian hot summers elders always advised to have soaked nuts and not to have too much of nuts, because as per Ayurveda these increase the body heat . Eating soaked nuts especially Almonds and Raisins, empty stomach is still a tradition followed by many Indians, which has numerous health benefits from kids to seniors.
Nuts and Seeds can be consumed conveniently by those on gluten-free-diets, Vegans, Vegetarians, Paleo and keto diets.
If you have nut allergy, then do check out what suits your body best and consume it accordingly.
Ingredients for Homemade Granola
Nuts- Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachios or any of the any that are handy or suit you can be used here. If you are allergic to any of the nuts you can omit it.
Super Seeds- I have used a mix of Chia Seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Melon Seeds, Sunflower seeds. Super seeds are tiny bit but a powerful source of fibers and antioxidants.
Oats/Cereal- I used rolled oats, you can also add rice puffs, wheat flakes, wheat germ, cornflakes or any of the breakfast cereal.
Sweetener- I did not add any sugar here. Dates and cranberries here add on to the little bit of sweetness. You can also add honey/maple syrup or agave nectar.
Dried Fruits- You can use any of the dried fruits like cranberries, blueberries, raisins or black currants, apricots, figs or prunes.
Fat- Dairy butter, coconut oil or any of the nut/plant based butter as per your dietary preferences. I have used salted butter.
Salt- I like to add just a little bit of salt(11/4 tsp for every 1 cup of granola) . It balances and opens up the flavor. It is optional. Since I used salted butter I skipped it.
Video Recipe Link for Power Packed Granola--CLICK HERE
How to make Homemade Granola
Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
In a processor or grinder pulse nuts coarsely. You can also roughly chop nuts.
Coarsely grind dates and half of the cranberries.
Slightly warm and melt butter/ nut butter/coconut oil. (If using any sweetener mix it to butter while melting it.)
For Crunchy Baked Granola(loose)
Mix all the ingredients together (Warm Butter, Dates and Cranberry mix, Nuts and oats along with Chia seeds and Choco Chips).
Bake for 50-60 mins on 350F or 180C in preheated oven, or till nuts and oats turn light brown and give out aroma.
Keep on stirring in between at regular intervals.
For Chewy Granola Bars
Spread out nuts on a baking tray with seeds. Roast nuts, oats and seeds like flax seeds, pumpkin seeds or melon, whatever you are using. Bake for 20 mins on 350°F or 180°C or till nuts and oats turn light brown and give out aroma.
In a bowl, add melted warm butter and then mix together all the ingredients(warm nuts and oats, choco chips, dates and cranberries).
Transfer to a baking dish or tray. Press tightly in the baking pan/ tray.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hr. and then cut into required size with a sharp knife and refrigerate in airtight container.
Oats and Finely Chopped nuts and seeds mix can also be roasted on stove top in a pan incase you don't have oven.
Few of the nut and super seed based recipes from the blog
Please Note: The above facts are based on various online resources and through the process of learning over the years and the knowledge passed on to me by elders.
Recipe Card for Power Packed Homemade Granola
Power Packed Granola
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Mixed Nuts(Almonds/Walnuts/Pistachios)
- ½ Cup Mixed Seeds(Melon/Pumpkin/Flaxseed/Sesame)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- ½ Cup Dates(10-12)
- ½ Cup Cranberries
- ½ Cup Choco Chips(optional) Dark/Milk
- ¼-½ Cup Butter(use any as per preference)
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- In processor or grinder pulse oats, nuts to coarsely. You can finely chop nuts also using knife. Take out in a mixing bowl.
- Coarsely grind dates and half of the cranberries.
- Slightly warm and melt Almond oil/butter/coconut oil. Also add, honey or any other sweetener if using.
For Crunchy Granola
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients(nuts, oats, Choco chips, dates and cranberries) and add melted butter.
- Transfer to a baking dish or tray.
- Bake for about 50-60 mins in preheated oven at 350°F or 180°C.
- Keep on stirring at regular intervals.
For Chewy Granola Bars
- Lightly roast chopped nuts, oats and seeds(pumpkin seeds or melon, whatever you are using). Use oven or you can dry roast in a pan on gas stove.
- In oven, bake( in a preheated oven) for 10-15 minutes at 350°F or 180°C.
- Let it cool for 2-3 hrs. and then cut into required size and shape and refrigerate in air-tight container.
Do try these delicious and nutritious granola for you and your family. Healthy quick and easy homemade snack, so much better than the store bought ones.
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic of on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!