Rajasthani Paush Vada/Posh Wade is a very popular winter snack made with lentils, beans and winter greens. These Lentils and Beans fritters/pakoras are also known as Vada/Wade in local language. These pakoras are very crispy spicy and so delicious.
Paush Vada are Gluten-free and Vegan deep fried snacks.
The auspicious month of Paush comes in around late Dec- Jan as per Hindu Calendar, around Makar Sankranti, a traditonal big festival in India. All through the month the Paush Vadas are made in Rajasthan especially around the Jaipur area.
Makarsankranti is an auspicious festival in India and is celebrated in different ways in different regions. The festival is known by different names in different states but the essence of celebrations is the same. Makarsankranti marks the harvest period for farmers in India and also the time when the sun makes the shift from constellation . It also marks the end of long and harsh winters.
Various delicacies and traditonal dishes are made and people celebrate the occasion by doing various pooja, donations to the poor and needy and the flying kites!!
Recipes for Makar Sankranti
Paush Utsav/Festival and Paush Vada
Paush Vada are fritters made with mixed lentils and beans. Since these are made in winter months, fresh seasonal winter greens like Spinach, Fenugreek leaves are also added. These Vadas are not only made in homes but also in temples and disturbed as Prasad (locally known as Prasadi). Paush Utsav is celebrated in Jaipur to mark the auspicious month and you can see carts and vendors making and selling fresh Vadas to the crowd.
Paush Utsav/Festival is been celebrated in Rajasthan since ages and the tradition of making these lentil fritters is carried on since the time this festival started.
These Vadas are also the popular Rajasthani Street food and people love to gorge on these crispy fritters with spicy chutneys.
Since I have done my college from Ajmer(Rajasthan) I have special love towards Rajasthani food. I first had these at my friend's place. Her mom who used to invite us(since we were staying in hostel)) treated us to various Rajasthani Delights on weekends. Aunty(her mom) introduced so many Rajasthani dishes to us. These Vada tested very much like our Dal ke Pakore(from Western UP), but then she told told us the special ingredients Lobia and Matki and Fennel seeds that are used in the recipe makes it different from dal ke pakore.
Can We Make Paush Vada in Air Fryer
These are traditionally fried but you can now make in your Air fryer also. I tried a small batch in Air Fryer and these came out perfect. Although we love the deep fried version, but if you avoid deep fried food then you can try the Air fryer version too. Checkout the section on HOW TO MAKE PAUSH VADA IN AIR FRYER.
Ingredients to make Paush Vada
Lentils and Beans- Lobia/Black Eyed Beans and Moth/Matki or Dew Beans are the other main ingredients. Among the lentils Moong Lentils(yellow/green) are popular. You can use these beans and lentils in any combination. Many people also add Split Black Gram(Chilka Urad Dal).
Winter Greens-Seasonal winter greens are added to the pakoras. Spinach, Fenugreek leaves are the main greens that are used. If not making for the Bhog or Prasad people also add fresh spring onion greens and garlic greens, as these are available in the season.
Spices- Since this is mainly a winter delicacy, warm spices like black pepper, Ajwain(caraway seeds) are mainly added. Coriander seeds and chilli powder are the other main spices that are added, The spices are coarsely crushed and added to the pakora batter.
Others- Salt as per taste and Oil for Frying.
How to make Paush Ke Pakore
Checkout the detailed VIDEO in Recipe Card
Wash the lentils and the beans nicely and then soak it for at least 4-5 hrs.
Drain the water, lightly rub the lentils and beans to discard the skin . But I like to keep it, as it adds more fibre to the pakoras.
Roast all the spices and then coarsely crush it once it cools down.
Grind the dals to a coarse batter, add ginger and green chillies while grinding.
Add in the spices and add salt. Mix well.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or kadhai and fry the pakoras till light brown in color.
How to make Paush Vada in Air Fryer/Lentil Fritters in Air Fryer
To make the Paush Vada or Posh ke Pakore in Air Fryer, follow the same steps to make the batter, as mentioned in the above section.
Add 2 tbsp of oil in the batter. This helps to keep the pakoras soft and moist. No dry vadas or pakoras.
Line a air fryer basket with Aluminum Foil then line small lemon sized batter portions, keeping some space in between. Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket,
Then Air Fry for 12-15 mins. you can check mid way and then turn the pakoras for uniform cooking.
Some more Air Fryer Snacks from the blog
Can we make ahead the pakoras and how long is the shelf life
These taste best when piping hot, just out of the pan/air fryer. You can make 1-2 hrs ahead of serving and reheat in oven or air fryer on preheat mode(170C or 300F). Do not reheat the pakoras in Microwave. The whole texture gets spoiled and you will get dry and hard pakoras.
You can grind the dals and beans and refrigerate it for few hrs before making the vade. But do not keep for long after adding spices and greens.
I haven't freeze these so won't recommend freezing for later consumption.
Paush ke Vade tastes so good with any spicy chutney or even with ketchup. We love to have it with chai. It is also a perfect snack for your cocktail parties.
Chutneys that can be paired with Paush Vada
Checkout how to make Adrakwali Chai(Ginger Tea).
Checkout other deep fried snacks perfect for rainy days/ chilly winter evenings or special occasions
Some recipes with lentils which you may like to check
Paush Vada /Paush Ke Pakore
- Grinder/Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Heavy Bottomed Pan/Kadhai
Lentils and Beans
- ¾ Cup Black Eyed Chickpeas/Lobia
- ½ Cup Green Moong/Black Split Urad
- ½ Cup Moth Dal/Dew Bean
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- Red Chilli Powder(optional) as required
- Salt as required
- 2 tbsp Oil when Air Frying Vadas
- Oil For Frying
Herbs and Greens
- 1" Fresh Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1 Cup Chopped Spinach Leaves
- ½ Cup Spring Onion Greens/Fresh Garlic Greens optional
- Wash nicely and soak the lentils for at least 4-5 hrs or overnight.¾ Cup Black Eyed Chickpeas/Lobia, ½ Cup Green Moong/Black Split Urad, ½ Cup Moth Dal/Dew Bean
- After 4-5 hrs, drain the water in which the lentils are soaked.
- Keep the lentils in a colander to drain extra water.
- In a grinder or food processor, transfer the soaked lentils, add ginger and green chillies.1" Fresh Ginger, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Grind to a coarse paste., transfer back to the mixing bowl. Cover and keep aside.
Prepare the spices
- In a pan dry roast the spices till it gives a nice aroma.1 tsp Black Peppercorns, 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds, 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- Cool completely and then grind coarsely.
Prepare batter and make Pakoras
- To fry the pakoras, heat oil in a kadhai/heavy bottomed pan. Keep the flame to low.
- Take the grinded dal mix, add the coarse spice powder, red chilli powder(if using, I skipped it), salt.Red Chilli Powder(optional), Salt
- Add chopped spinach leaves and other greens if adding.1 Cup Chopped Spinach Leaves, ½ Cup Spring Onion Greens/Fresh Garlic Greens
- Mix nicely.
- Increase the flame of the gas, add pinch of batter to oil to check if oil is hot enough to fry the pakora.
- If the batter rises slowly, the oil is hot enough to fry. If the batter sizzles and rises up, oil is hot and lower the flame for few minutes.
- While frying the oil should not be hot enough, as the vadas will fry from outside but will remain raw from inside.
- Add small lemon sized batter portions in the hot oil and fry till the pakoras are light golden brown in color.
- Once the pakora are done, take out in plate/dish lined with a paper tissue or kitchen towel. It will absorb the extra oil.
- Serve hot with chutneys of your choice.
Make Paush Vada in Air Fryer
- To make Paush Vada in Air Fryer, add 1-2 tbsp oil in batter while adding the spices and greens.
- Mix well.
- Line the air fryer basket with foil/parchment paper.
- Lightly brush the foil with oil as pakoras may stick to it.
- Drop tiny portions with space in between, as per your air fryer basket size.
- Air Fry for 15 mins. a 180°C or 350°F.
- Rotate in between or when your air fryer indicates TURN FOOD OPTION.
- Once done, take out relish hot pakoras with chutneys of your choice.
Do try this delicious Pakoras/Vadas. These make a wonderful snack with a hot cup of Ginger/Masala Tea for evening snack or weekend breakfast.. Serve these at your parties and get togethers, an absolute crowd pleasers and hit with every age group. When making for kids avoid green chillies or add per the heat tolerance.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!