Learn how to make winter special Nutritious Ladoos made with Ragi Flour, Whole Wheat flour Edible Gum and Jaggery.
- Ingredients for Whole Wheat Ragi, Edible Gum Ladoo
- Benefits of the ingredients in these nutritious Ladoo
- Let's see how I made these nutritious Whole Wheat, Ragi and Edible Gum ladoos..
- More Ragi Recipes from the blog that your may like to try
- Recipe Card
- Whole Wheat, Ragi and Edible Gum Ladoos
After my Besan Ladoos, Tilkut winter special ladoos post here I am with another winter special ladoo that I made today with Whole Wheat flour, Ragi/Finger Millet Flour, Edible Gum, Desi Ghee and Jaggery.
These are one of the most popular winter specials that are made in almost every home in Northern India during harsh winters. Atta Gond Ladoos as these are popularly known as have a special ingredient Gond or Edible gum that makes it suitable to have in winters to keep the body warm and strong.
I make these ladoos every winter and give it to kids with milk either in morning for breakfast or at evening as snack. I and hubby too have these for breakfast and he doesn't mind having these after dinner also, as he needs something sweet to finish off his meal.
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Ragi, Edible Gum Ladoo
Usually these ladoos are made with Whole Wheat flour, gond (edible gum), sugar/jaggery and lots of desi ghee.
Multigrain flours like Sorghum Flour/Jowar Flour or Chickpea Flour/Besan can also be added in place of only Whole Wheat Flour to increase the nutritive value.
This time I have added Ragi flour along with Whole Wheat flour. Also, I have added Ladoo Atta (a coarse Whole Wheat flour available in Indian Grocery stores here in US). You can use whole Wheat flour with barn /Chakki Atta or add 1/2 Cup semolina if you are using finely ground whole wheat flour.
Benefits of the ingredients in these nutritious Ladoo
The ingredients used in these ladoos are highly nutritious and good for the overall health, both for kids and grown ups.
- Whole Wheat flour is high in fiber, vitamins and regulates the blood sugar level.
- Ragi flour is a gluten-free flour. It is rich in fiber, proteins, antioxidant. Helps in weight loss and regulates cholesterol and blood sugar level.
- Edible Gum or Gond is sourced from the sap of a variety of gum-producing plants . It is found in the Middle East and parts of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Punjab in India.
- It widely used in food industry especially in bakery items, ice creams, beauty products and energy drinks.
- Edible gum is also used for the treatment of various ailments in Ayurveda, given to lactating mothers. Used in treatment of lung related issues, weakness and fatigue. It increases body immunity and body heat that keeps the body warm in winters.
- Desi Ghee is known to have it's own share of ayurvedic health benefits. It is used in Ayurveda for treatment of various ailments, body cleansing therapies. It is considered a sattvic food having a positive balancing effect on mind and body . Many may not know that it has very low amount of lactose or casein, can be safely consumed by those who have lactose intolerance. People with gluten allergies can also consume it safely.
- Jaggery is a blood purifier, detoxes liver and boasts immunity and prevents constipation.
Since these ladoos are high in calorific values, one should have these in moderation(1-2) and especially those on restricted fat or fat-free diets or any special diets.
Substitute BAJRA FLOUR for Ragi Flour in Winters. As Ragi has cooling properties, use bajra flour instead in winter.
Let's see how I made these nutritious Whole Wheat, Ragi and Edible Gum ladoos..
More Ragi Recipes from the blog that your may like to try
Whole Wheat, Ragi and Edible Gum Ladoos
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Coarse Whole Wheat flour
- 1 Cup Ragi Flour
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Nuts(Almonds and Cashew Nuts)
- 1/2 Cup Edible Gum
- 11/2 Cup Jaggery Powder/Sugar
- 1 Cup Desi Ghee
- In a pan, add a tbsp of ghee roast the nuts till light brown. Take out the nuts in a separate plate and keep aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add ghee to the remaining ghee in the pan, add edible gum/gond and saute it, till it puffs up and turns light.
- Take out in a separate plate and let it cool.
- Once the nuts and gum are cool, coarsely grind in chopper.
- Dry roast the flours separately in a thick bottomed pan or non-stick pan.
- Mix all the flours together add ghee to the flours and roast for a few more minutes till the flour turns light brown and gives out the aroma.
- Transfer the ghee and flour mix to another pan/bowl to slightly cool. Add grinded nuts and gum and mix in the flour mix.
- Once the flour mix is warm enough to touch, add jaggery powder or sugar, ix well with hands and bind the into tennis ball sized ladoos.
- Leave the ladoos in open to dry and bind nicely in open for few hours, then store in an airtight container. These last for good 15-20 days or even a month. the shelf life ladoos with sugar is more than with the ones made with jaggery.
Step-wise Pics for Ladoo making
The ladoos can also be made on festive occasions. You can make these, , packed in beautiful gift boxes and share with your loved ones. What can be a better handmade, homemade nutritious gift!!
Mooli Ke Patte Ki Bhurji and many more.
Enjoy these nutritious ladoos during the winters with a cup of warm milk and stay warm and strong!!
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!