Beans Poriyal is a South Indian Style Green beans stir fry with fresh coconut. It is a super easy quick and healthy side dish that is best enjoyed with Dal Rice or Dal Roti combo.
Green Beans Poriyal is a one of the healthy ways in which you can add beans to your meals apart from your regular beans recipe.
What is Poriyal
Poriyal is Tamil word and basically means sauteed vegetable side dish. It is made by cooking any vegetable/greens with spices and lentils and garnished with fresh coconut.
The crunchy crispy beans sauteed in spices with curry leaves and the nutty coconut makes this simple green beans so much flavourful and so delicious.
Coming from North India, I did not know about this way of making beans. I tried this delicious vegetable for the first time at my neighbour's place in Mumbai. We loved the flavours, the combination of beans with coconut and spices. Since then I have included this side dish in our weekday meals.
It is a Gluten-free(can be made), Vegan, made in very less oil and a quick under 30 mins. dish and it is also kids friendly.
Green Beans benefits
Green beans belong to the Legume family. These are fibre rich, great source of Vit. K, Vit C., and several other antioxidants. These antioxidants fight the free radicals in the body which help reduce the cell damage. This in turn helps to reduce the risk of many health conditions.
Green beans can be added to pulao, khichdi, soups and many thai, indian or chinese style vegetable curries or stir frys.
Checkout this North Indian style Beans Aloo and Beetroot Subzi fry from the blog.
Also, try this Beans Stir Fry with Sesame and Garlic and Stir Fryer Crispy Green Beans.(Posting soon).
Ingredients to make Green Beans Poriyal
We need very basic ingredients available in your pantry to make this poriyal.
Green Beans- Choose fresh bright green colored soft and tender beans. Do not take the thick ones which have seeds inside.
Lentils- Urad Dal(dhuli urad), Chana Dal are used for tempering.
Grated fresh Coconut- You can use dry or dessicated coconut also but the taste will different.
Spices- Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt(as per taste), oil.
How to make Green Beans Poriyal
Checkout the instructional video in the recipe card.
Wash nicely and nip off both the ends of beans. Also, remove the fibrous stings if any. Soft and tender beans do not have any strings. Cut beans in small pieces as required.
Heat oil in a pan/kadhai. Add Asafoetida( avoid or use gluten-free for gluten-free version).
Add chana dal/split bengal gram, urad dal and let it splutter. You can use red lentils or moong dal if both the lentils are not available.
Now add beans, spices and 1-2 tbsp water. Then cover and cook till beans are tender.
Add coconut when the vegetable is cooked.
Green Beans Poriyal is served as side dish with meals. We love the Dal Rice or Sambhar Rice combo or simply with chapatis and parathas.
The leftovers can be used as stuffing for sandwiches.
Storing and Shelf Life
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container. It stays good for 2-3 days, when refrigerated.
I never freeze it so cannot comment on freezing time for the veggie.
Recipe Card for Green Beans Poriyal
Green Beans Poriyal
- Chopping Board
- 200 g Green Beans or 1 cup chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh Coconut(grated)
- 1-2 Whole Red Chillies
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida optional
- 1 tsp Chana Dal /Split Bengal Gram
- 1 tsp Urad Dal /Split Black Lentil(skinned)
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 8-10 Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or Degi Mirch)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil or any plant oil
- Salt as per taste
- Take clean and washed beans.200 g Green Beans
- Nip both the ends and remove any fibres.
- Cut the beans as desired. I like to chop it in small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. I use mustard oil you can use coconut oil or any other plant oil.1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Add asafoetida(optional), then add chana dal and urad dal.¼ tsp Asafoetida, 1 tsp Chana Dal, 1 tsp Urad Dal
- Then add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the seeds splutter. Add whole red chillies. Saute for few seconds.½ tsp Mustard Seeds, 8-10 Curry Leaves, 1-2 Whole Red Chillies
- Now add chopped beans. Saute for few seconds.
- Now add spices (turmeric powder, red chilli powder), salt and mix well.½ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or Degi Mirch), Salt as per taste
- Cover and cook for a while. Add 1-2 tbsp water of required.
- Cook on low flame and keep on stirring in between so that the veggies doesn't burn and stick to bottom.
- Cook till the beans are soft.
- Finally add grated fresh coconut. Mix and serve as required.¼ cup Fresh Coconut(grated)
Do try this South Indian version of beans if you still haven't. I am sure you and your family will surely love it.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!