Crispy outside filled with spicy and so delicious potato filling, Bread Rolls are one of the most popular snacks made in every Indian home. Simple, easy to make Air Fryer Bread Rolls, with readily available ingredients in your pantry.
These are perfect for the weekend breakfast, evening chai time with friends and so convenient to carry picnic or travel food.
These are a crowd pleaser snack. From kids to the grown ups everyone loves it! And now the less oily version can also be relished by those who have dietary restrictions with respect to the intake of oil.
If you have some extra bread at home and thinking up how to use it before it goes stale, why not try these crispy and delicious bread rolls.
What are Bread Rolls
In India Bread Rolls refers to a snack made with bread and potatoes. It has crispy outer bread covering with a spicy potato filling. You can call these as Potato Croquettes, where the spicy potato filling is wrapped inside the bread slice. Traditionally these rolls are deep fried but now you can make these in less oil I have tried the microwave version, baked in oven and now tried the air fried version (after I bought my Air fryer).
And trust me, I love the Air fryer version as I have to use so much less oil then the deep fried ones and these are made much more quickly in Air Fryer then baking in the oven.
My kids also love the less oily version especially my teenage daughter who now watches what she eats..
Once in a while I make these Air Fryer Bread Rolls and we relish these with tomato ketchup and spicy mint chutney!!
Why to make Bread Rolls in Air Fryer
Making Bread Rolls in an Air Fryer is a good way to cut oil from this delicious snack, without compromising on the taste and crispiness. The bread rolls come out as delicious as with the deep fried method but with minimum oil.
Advantages of having Air Fryer at Home
Investing in an Air Fryer is one of the best decisions that we can make for our kitchen. This kitchen gadget is so handy and there are so many options available nowadays. It can be used for baking, as a substitute to frying (one of the best) and roasting the veggies, snacks.
- Air frying cuts down the amount of oil used for deep frying snacks.
- Deep frying certain food items may produce some cancer causing compounds. Air frying reduces the risk of formation of such compounds.
- No standing over the cooking dish and continuous monitoring.
- Use it to crisp the frozen food instead of deep frying which is more fuss, quick and more health friendly.
Air fryers are handy kitchen gadgets and do not occupy much counter space.
Use your Air Fryer in everyday cooking and you can even bake cakes and muffins as per the capacity of your Air Fryer.
Checkout the various Air Fryer Recipes form the blog here--> AIR FRYER RECIPES Vegetarian and Vegan
Ingredients to make Bread Rolls
Bread- The very basic ingredient for bread rolls to make the outer covering. Use any bread like brown bread, whole wheat, sourdough or even multigrain.
Potatoes- Take any potatoes low in moisture. We use boiled potatoes to make the filling.
Many times people complain that the filling has too much much moisture. For that whenever you boil the potatoes always drain water and take out immediately from the pressure cooker and let the potatoes cool completely before peeling and using in the recipe. If we add hot or even warm potatoes then the moisture seeps in, in the form of steam and makes the filling watery.
So cool the potatoes completely before making the filing.
Spices- I love adding all these spices to the filling. These add to the flavour of the simple potato filling. Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder/Paprika, Dry Mango Powder, Fennel seeds and Cumin seeds.
Many people do not use Fennel seeds and Cumin seeds but I love to use it in the filling, you too try it and will the difference in the taste.
Oil for making the filling and brushing the rolls before Air Frying.
Other- Ginger, Green Chillies, Cilantro or Fresh coriander bring so much of the flavour in these crispy potato filled rolls.
How to make Bread Rolls
The whole process of making bread rolls is divided in two parts. One is making the filling and the other is making the roll( with outer bread and inner filling).
Make Potato Filling for Bread Rolls
You can make the filling in two ways. Many people take mashed potatoes, add spice powders, ginger and green chillies and mix everything. '
I like to cook the potatoes for 1-2 mins. in spices , cool it completely and then stuff it in the bread. Do try this way, you will surely love the filling and won't mind doing another step of cooking the potatoes.
- Take boiled potatoes. Peel and then mash it.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil, add cumin seeds, once seeds crackle, add ginger green chillies paste.
- Saute for few seconds on low heat and then add coriander powder. Saute it also for a sec.
- Then add mashed potatoes and other spices(fennel seeds, red chilli powder, amchur/dry mango powder), salt and mix everything together.
- Switch off the flame and let the potato filling cool completely.
- Once it cools then add finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves.
Make outer bread covering and stuffing the rolls
Let's now prepare the bread. You can cut the sides of the bread if these are a bit thick, or you can keep the sides.
- Take some water in a bowl(at room temperature).
- Dip the sides of the bread in water.Do not soak the whole bread.
- Using your palms, squeeze out the water.(please watch this step in the video).
- Now take a tbsp of potato filling, bring the edges towards the center and seal the edges carefully.
- Keep in rolling the rolls till the edges are sealed properly. You can shape the rolls in cylindrical or oval shape, as preferred.
- Keep the rolls for 10 mins so that all the moisture completely dries out from the bread.
- Brush the rolls lightly with oil.
- Preheat the air fryer and then Air fry for 12-15 mins. Turn the rolls for even cooking.
- Serve hot.
Checkout the video Recipe with detailed steps CLICK HERE
Variations for the Bread Roll Filling
You can also perk up your simple potato filling.
Add peas for the peas potato filling. Or add mixed veggies like grated carrots, finely chopped beans and bell peppers.
Add some cheese for cheesy potato bread rolls.
You can try out different spice mixes like Peri Peri or Mediterranean.
Add some paneer pieces or broken cashew nuts and raisins to make samosa kind of filling.
Can we make ahead and how long can we keep bread rolls
You can make the rolls ahead of serving time and reheat in air fryer before serving.
Many people also make the rolls with stuffing and keep the rolls refrigerated in an airtight container and then make just before serving.
These taste best the day these are made, but you can refrigerate the leftover rolls in an airtight container and reheat again the next day.
If you love potatoes, here are a few snack recipes that you will love to try
Sabudana Vada and many more..
Recipes with Bread
Carrot and Cucumber Mini Sandwich bites
Bread Rolls (Air Fryer Recipe)
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 8 Bread Slices
- 3-4 Boiled Potatoes(Medium size)
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder or coarsely crushed fennel seeds
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Paprika or add as per taste
- ½ tsp Dry Mango Powder/Amchur Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1+2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Finely chopped Coriander/Cilantro
- Small ginger pieces
- 1-2 Green Chillies or as required
- Take boiled potatoes. Peel and mash it.3-4 Boiled Potatoes(Medium size)
- Coarsely crush ginger and green chillies.Small ginger pieces, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan/kadhai.1+2 tbsp Oil
- Add cumin seeds, once the seeds crackle, add ginger and green chilli paste. Saute fro 1-2 seconds.½ tsp Cumin seeds
- Now add coriander powder, saute it for 2-3 seconds. Keep the flame to low.1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- Now add fennel powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder and salt.1 tsp Fennel Powder, ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Paprika, ½ tsp Dry Mango Powder/Amchur Powder, Salt as per taste
- Mix well and saute potato mixture for 1-2 mins.
- Switch off the flame and let the potato mixture cool completely. You can transfer it another plate/bowl.
- Once it cools completely, add and mix chopped coriander leaves.1 tbsp Finely chopped Coriander/Cilantro
Make the Rolls
- Cut the thick edges of the bread.8 Bread Slices
- In a bowl, take some water, enough to dip the sides of the bread,
- Dip the sides lightly and then using your palms, squeeze out the extra water. Do it carefully, keep the bread flat and take care bread should not tear.
- Now keep a tbsp or less filling in the center of the bread. Do not add too much filling, bread covering will tear away and the edges won't seal properly.
- Seal the edges and make oval shaped rolls.(Check the video)
Air Fry the Rolls
- Preheat your Air Fryer at
- Brush the rolls lightly with oil.
- Arrange the rolls in air fryer basket. Add rolls as per the capacity of your air fryer.
- Air Fry at 390 °F or 200 °C for 12-15 mins.
- You can turn the rolls after 8 mins to evenly fry the rolls from all sides.
- Once done serve hot with tomato ketchup or any chutney of your choice.
- You can also perk up your simple potato filling.
- Add peas for the peas potato filling. Or add mixed veggies like grated carrots, finely chopped beans and bell peppers.
- Add some cheese for cheesy potato bread rolls.
- You can try out different spice mixes like Peri Peri or Mediterranean.
- Add some paneer pieces or broken cashew nuts and raisins to make samosa kind of filling.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!
Bread roll is a favourite at home. But I don't make them often as these are deep fried. Your air fried version will now help me try them pretty soon. The bread rolls look perfectly crisp and evenly browned
Thanks Preetiji!! Do try the air fryer version.
My neighbor aunty would make this often for me when I was a kid .I used to love the bread rolls she used to make . Now after seeing ur recipe, I am wanting to make some and enjoy . The air fryer version makes it a guilt free indulgence.
Bread rolls are all time favorite. And you made it guilt free using air fryer. My daughter also loves less oil baked snacks. Never used fennel seeds in potato masala but now I will try your version. Beautiful click.
This is great tea time snack! Kids would love to have this and would be filling for them! Tasty bread rolls that none of us in our home can say a no to.
Bread rolls make a good snack with a cup of hot tea. Loved this guilt free version of bread roll. Lovely one to enjoy in this season, will make them soon.