Soft and Moist Eggless Sponge Cake recipe with yogurt and buttermilk.
Eggless Sponge cake that can be used for making eggless cakes, desserts, entremets, cake pops.
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake or, simply sponge is the basic cake that you can use to make birthday cakes, pastries or trifles. You can also bake cupcakes with the same batter and decorate with your favorite icing.
Making Eggless Sponge is an art in itself. Generally sponge cake recipes require eggs for the soft fluffy texture. But many people avoid eggs in their diet due various reasons like egg allergies or follow a strict vegetarian diet. Now we can bake a soft and moist Eggless cake with various egg substitutes available.
Here is my easy recipe with detailed step by step process which will give give you perfect Eggless Sponge Cake.
Pointers to make Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
Baking with Whole Wheat Flour(WWF) is getting popular these days due to various health benefits. I have stopped using All Purpose Flour(APF) in baking and use WWF or other flour combinations like Semolina, Oats Flour, Almond Flour which add lot of softness to the end product.
But, many times people do complain about the dense and dry texture. Also, WWF has a nutty taste and many times people complain about the aftertaste in cakes and cookies made with whole wheat flour. But after following below mentioned tips and tricks you can get a beautiful sponge just like the one you get at your favorite bakery. And added nutrition is plus point here.
- Wheat Flour has more fibre/bran than All Purpose Flour which makes the cakes dry. Cake batter with WWF needs more liquid than with the regular APF.
- While baking with WWF, add about 10 -15 ml more liquid than with AAP.
- Do not overbeat the batter after adding flour and liquid. Lightly fold the batter.
- Measure your ingredients as per the recipe and keep the oven temperature in check. It is preferable to keep an oven thermometer if you are regular at baking.
Ingredients for Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
Flour- My preferred choice is Whole Wheat Flour, you can use APF or a combination of both the flours.
Sweetener- Use Raw sugars in baking as these are more health friendly than the synthetic castor sugar. For Vanilla Sponge, I use Raw Cane Sugar. Other raw sugars like coconut/palm sugar or jaggery powder may give a slight dark color to the cake.
Egg Replacer- Yogurt and Buttermilk act as an excellent egg replacer here. These two ingredients also add make the cake soft, fluffy and moist. Do not use very watery yogurt. Prefer thick and a day old yogurt/dahi.
Please Note- Buttermilk is not Chaas( spiced yogurt drink). It is made with milk and vinegar. Add vinegar to milk and let it stand for 5-10 mins. Do not stir milk after adding yogurt.
Fat- A combination of butter and olive oil gives an excellent sponge. All butter based cakes get a bit dense. Oil based cakes make the cake light and soft and gives it a nice crumb. For the sponge here I have used combination of butter and oil, which adds not only makes the cake soft and moist but also add a nice buttery taste.
Flavour- Vanilla essence is commonly used, if you are going to ice the cake. But you can always use any flavour like orange, pineapple, caramel, butterscotch or spices like cinnamon depending on how you are going to use your sponge.
Stepwise procedure for Eggless Sponge
the pics are 2 years old where I have used Castor Sugar and All Purpose Flour. The recipe is updated with Whole Wheat Flour and Raw Sugar. Will soon update the new pics. The Final Cake in the featured pic is made with Whole Wheat Flour.
Storing Vanilla Sponge and Shelf Life
Use as required, once it cools completely. Or wrap it in a cling wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can also freeze it for a month, thaw in the refrigerator before use.
Ways to use Eggless Vanilla Cake/Sponge
Other Cake/Muffin Recipes from the blog
Recipe Card for Vanilla Sponge(Eggless Vanilla Cake)
Eggless Sponge Cake
- 1¼ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil(or any flavorless oil)
- ¾ Cup Castor Sugar
- 4 tbps Yogurt / Curd or ¼ Cup
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence 5 ml
- Milk 150 ml
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar/ Synthetic Vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Add vinegar to milk, and leave without stirring.
- Prepare baking pan, grease with some oil/ butter/shortening using a pastry brush or butter paper, and evenly dust with flour, tap the pan inverted to dust off the extra flour.
- Sieve together flour, cornflour, baking powder and baking soda in a dry bowl. Keep aside.
- Beat in butter, oil, essence and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in yogurt and beat till a little more.
- Fold in flour alternating with buttermilk in three turns.
- Gently fold in all the flour until it forms a smooth batter. Do not overbeat the batter.
- Transfer batter to cake pan and bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes at 350°F or 180°C.
- Once baked, take out from the oven, give it a 2-minute rest and transfer carefully to a cooling rack to completely cool it.
Do try this soft and moist eggless sponge cake recipe with yogurt and give me your feedback.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!