A rich buttery and moist cake that best of both the worlds!! Chocolate and Vanilla!! Some like chocolate cakes like my kids and some like vanilla or any fruit flavored cakes like me and my hubby. This rich, marble cake is nothing like the light sponge cakes, it is dense but not dry and crumbly. It is melt in mouth and moist. In my earlier posts also I have mentioned that I love baking. I love baking cakes, breads, tea cakes or muffins. And since I do a lot of baking, I love to sneak in veggies, nuts and fruits and mostly use whole wheat flour or almond flour in my bakes so that the kids get to eat something healthy not all the sugary and made with all-purpose flour stuff. But many times all we need is a rich, moist and buttery simple cake, like a cake!! Sometimes you want to keep the health factor aside and just want to enjoy the taste. This rich, moist and buttery marble cake is the one, for those times… One of the best recipes that I have and we can modify as per flavors of your choice. Add some nuts and dried fruits and candied fruits, and here you have the best fruitcake ever!! Add grated citrus peels like lemon and orange with juices and the best citrus pound cake ever!! Pound cakes are the best to be used in dessert jars or petits fours and or fancy cakes..
For those who are wondering, what are Pound Cakes or why the name Pound Cake?? Pound cakes were introduced in America in the early 1700s or some claim it to be in France and were made with the pound of flour, sugar, butter and eggs. Over the years there has been a lot of variation in the traditional recipe. I usually make Marble cake using the Old-fashioned recipe of Pound cake. This is the recipe I adapted from one of the best books on baking The Professional Chef and baked with variations for my friends, family and clients. My kids love this cake and my hubby who is not a chocolate fan doesn’t mind it having it with his evening Chai!!
So let me not talk much now, straight to how I made this..
Old Fashioned Marble Pound Cake
Classic Old Fashioned Marble Pound Cake with the goodness of vanilla and chocolate!! Learn how to make Old-Fashioned Pound Cake
- All-Purpose Flour- 2 Cups/200g
- Sugar-1 ½ Cup / 175 g
- Eggs(large)- 3
- Butter- 215g
- Vanilla Essence- 1Tbsp
- Cocoa Powder- 1/4 Cup/25g
- Milk-1/3 Cup
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease and dust a loaf pan with little flour. You can also bake the cake in a round cake pan.
- Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla essence, till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one. Don’t overbeat the mixture, it may curdle.
- Fold in the flour and mix well.
- Add some milk if you think the mixture is thick to adjust the consistency.
- Divide the mixture into two parts. One part can be little more than the other as we will be adding cocoa powder to the other. It depends on you how to divide and which mixture you want to keep more.
- Mix cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp of sugar with 2-3 tbsp of milk and fold the mix nicely to one of the parts of batter.
- Transfer the batters in the pan with alternate layers. Run a knife or skewer through the batter for swirls.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check the doneness of the cake by a toothpick test. Insert a tooth-pick in the middle of the cake, if it comes out with crumbs, the cake is done, you can take it out.
- After 2 minutes take out carefully from the pan and cool on the wire.
- Slice and enjoy with your favorite cuppa of coffee or cake or just like that.
- We like moderately sweet desserts so I added sugar as per our taste. Equal amount of sugar as flour makes the cake too sweet for us. If you like cakes on the sweeter side add an equal amount of sugar as the quantity of flour added.
- Don’t wait to bake the cake till the tooth-pick comes out clean, take it out when there are few crumbs as the pound cakes continue to bake for few minutes even when out of the oven and hence can become dry.
Bake a cake and enjoy with your loved ones. You can try the variations in flavors as per your choice. Pack in kids lunch box for the snack time or let them enjoy this with a glass of hot cocoa or milk. Pound cakes form an excellent base for trifles or pudding based desserts. So bake, slice and enjoy!! You can also make cake thins, cut the cake once it cools down completely (you can refrigerate it for one or two hours), cut into thin slices. bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F or 180°C for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Also taking this to Hearth and Soul Anticipating Holiday party..
Join me in my Food Trails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work do share my blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back for more such yummy recipes 😋!!