Classic Brownies Recipe | Brownies Recipe with Whole Wheat Flour and Raw Sugar
Updated recipe with new pinning image and with more healthy ingredient options.
The most addictive Classic Brownies with perfectly shiny, crinkled crust and a gooey centre !!!! It’s just perfect.. as a Brownie should be!!
This Classic brownies recipe is one of my favourite brownie recipe. It gives you a perfectly shiny, crinkled crust, with a fudgy centre. There are hundreds of recipes for Brownies on the net. Fudgy, Chewy and Cakey, brownie lovers have their own favourites. I have tried many brownie recipes but these ones are the best (with eggs) just the way I like brownies. The recipe is adapted from one of the best books on Baking, that I got during my Baking and Patisserie Diploma Days.
Word of Caution for the Calorie conscious people ;)…Since these are highly addictive and high on sugar and butter, you just can’t stop having one….go run or walk an extra mile when you have these 🙂 My elder one just can’t stop eating these, little one keeps on asking for more…my hubby who is not a chocolate person loves these…favourite in my family.
I still remember, it took me three attempts to get the perfect brownie from this recipe, though I took the recipe from a well-known book. The first time the batter in the middle was undone, toothpick came out with sticky batter, it had a nice crust but after cooling when I cut it was all under-baked. In the second attempt, the brownie got too dry and hard, as I baked it for too long and didn’t cover the pan with foil after the given baking time.
Pointers to bake a perfect brownie (Don’t skip these if you are new to baking)
Perfecting a brownie recipe may take few attempts, if your brownies comes undercooked or turns out like a cake, do follow the pointers listed below.
- Do not forget to preheat oven. While the oven is on preheat mode, prepare your brownie batter.
- Preferably use an oven thermometer to keep a check on the internal oven temperature.
- Always measure your ingredients per the recipe. You can tweak the recipe as per your convenience once you know the first results.
- To check the doneness, see that the sides just leave the pan, and the top gets a shiny crust and the toothpick when inserted does not come out clean, not with crumbs, it should have sticky batter on it. A clean toothpick gives you overcooked brownies. Also, very lightly shake the pan and check the batter in the middle, it should not be wiggly, even if you toothpick gives you a sticky batter.
- Also for the first 20 minutes don’t open the oven door to check what’s happening. It affects the inside oven temperature.
- While baking if the crust forms and the batter leaves the side, and you feel that the batter is not yet baked as it should be, just cover the tin with a foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let the Brownies cool completely, then cut into desired pieces.
To bake in OTG .. Switch on the baking mode, with both the rods and fan on. Keep the pan on the tray in middle shelf
In Microwave Convection Oven, switch on the Convection Mode to bake. Use the small/lower rak to keep the cake tin/pan.
Ingredients for Classic Brownies
Flour– For making these addictive brownies, I used Whole Wheat FLour. You can use All Purpose Flour also. Or, a mix of both.
Chocolate– Use any sweetened milk/dark chocolate or chocolate chips. If using unsweetened chocolate/choco chips add an extra ½ Cup of sugar.
Sweetener– I use raw cane sugar or jaggery in baking. You can use castor sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar also. Always prefer using raw sugar in baking due to the obvious health reasons. There are many good options available in market these days.
Butter– For these Classic Brownies, butter works best. You can also use olive oil, but for once in a while indulgence, no substitute for butter. If using unsalted butter, add ¼ tsp of salt.
Eggs– Addition of eggs in the recipe gives the perfect shiny crust. Use 3 large eggs. To get a nice shiny and crusty top, whip eggs and sugar to ribbon stage. Do not overbeat the mixture.
Others- Vanilla Essence, Nuts(Walnuts or Pecans)
How to make Classic Brownies
Please refer to the pics below, move on the cursor or click on individual images for caption
Recipe Card for Classic Brownies
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Sweetened Chocolate Chips / Chocolate
- 3 Eggs(large size)
- 1 Cup Raw Cane Sugar or use Castor Sugar
- 150 gms Salted Butter
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Walnuts/Pecans
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat the oven to 325°F or 160°C.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt chocolate and butter together.
- Let the mixture cool completely at room temperature.
- Melt chocolate and butter together, on a double boiler or in the microwave. Double broiler method is more reliable as in microwave mixture can heat up more thus breaking the chocolate structure or overheating of butter.
- Mix eggs, sugar, and vanilla essence together until well blended. We don't have to beat the eggs, it will give us more crumbly, and less fudgy brownie.
- Blend in the egg mixture with the chocolate-butter mixture.
- Sift in the flour and fold.Fold in the nuts dusted with little flour.You can sprinkle additional 50g chopped nuts or chocolate chips on the batter after panning.
- Bake in a square pans for 40-45 minutes at 325°F or 160°C. Baking time may differ depending on the oven and the pan used. I used 7"X 7" pan, it took exactly 40 minutes to bake.
- Once baked, leave the pan on the counter, once it cools completely cut into square pieces.
Try this recipe and you will know… :), and I am sure you are going to relish these Classic Brownies, if you love something fudgy, with a little crisp and the right amount of chocolate not too bitter neither too light.
Enjoy it just like that or with your favourite coffee, hot chocolate or have it with ice cream of your choice (best goes with this is creamy vanilla) topped with hot chocolate fudge.
Love Fudgy/Chewy Brownie with a strong chocolate flavour… Fudgy Brownies(with eggs)
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!! 🙂