Last Updated on
Baking with eggs is so easy, eggs do wonders to your baked goodies. But when it comes to baking without eggs, though there are lot egg replacers available, it many times it gives us sleepless nights especially when it is about the bakes and desserts that need egg as an essential ingredient.
When I started my Home Baking Business, a lot of clients preferred eggless bakes. For the ones who liked fudgy brownies, this recipe worked the best. It uses yoghurt/curd and gives you a moist brownie with a crust. Yoghurt or curd is one of the best egg replacers and readily available that I use it in most of my eggless bakes like cakes and cookies. It also does wonders for your bread where you don’t want to use yeast. There are other eggless Brownie recipes also that give you good results, using condensed milk and another with Aquafaba (leftover liquid of cooked beans and legumes like chickpeas). That is an excellent egg replacer that is gaining popularity. More on aquafaba in next post.
Few pointers that will help you to get a perfect brownie.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- I have used salted butter in it, add 1/4 tsp of salt if you are using unsalted butter.
- Melt Chocolate and butter on double boiler, as microwaving can overheat the butter, and at times in the final bake oil separates.
- Use thick yoghurt or hung curd, don’t use very sour curd.
- You can substitute the amount of brown sugar with the same amount of castor sugar, in case you don’t want to use castor sugar.
- Do not overbeat the batter just mix everything with light.
- When warm these are difficult to handle (too soft), once completely cool, cut into pieces. If you feel these are still too soft, leave for another 10-15 minutes, these will set.
- If at first attempt you are not able to get a perfect bake, look for the reasons, maybe like oven temperature, proper greasing of the pan, pan size.
- Cover the pan with foil if the centre is undone and the top and sides are baked.
So let’s gather the ingredients and bake…
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Baking time: 30-35 minutes
- All-purpose flour– 3/4 cup / 88gms
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder– 1/8 cup/ 2 Tbsp/ 12 gms
- Unsweetened Chocolate/ Chocolate chips–75 gms
- Butter–90 gms
- Yoghurt / Curd— 1/2 cup
- Castor Sugar–2/3 cups / 85 gms
- Brown Sugar*—1/4 cup / 40gms
- Baking Powder– 2 tsp
- Chopped Nuts —100gms
- Vanilla Essence–5 ml
Please refer to the pics below for the method. Click or move the cursor over the individual image for caption.
- Pre-heat oven at 350°F or 176°C(approx. 180°C)
- Sieve together flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Also, add salt if using unsalted butter.
- Melt together butter and chocolate. Keep aside to cool.
- Once the chocolate-butter mixture cools completely, mix in sugar and add yoghurt. Don’t overbeat the mixture.
- Fold in flour and lightly dusted nuts.
- Transfer to a pan and spread the batter evenly for a uniform bake. You can top the batter with more chopped nuts or choco-chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350°F or 180°C, in a preheated oven, till the batter leaves the sides of the pan. I baked in an 8X8 square pan. The size and the shape of the pan also matter in baking.
- Once baked check for the doneness of the brownies, by slightly shaking the pan, if it has wiggly batter in the middle, bake for another 5-10 minutes, and cover with a foil if the seems baked with a crust. For pointers on checking the doneness of the brownies please see Classic Brownies recipe.
- Once done, let it cool completely. Cut into desired pieces and enjoy your treat!! Have it with a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or even a glass of milk. For a gourmet treat, top the warm brownie with vanilla ice cream drizzled with hot chocolate sauce and some more nuts!!
Share your feedback whenever you make it. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!