Here I bring you a very delicious, easy, nutritious and filling Sandwich recipe loaded with veggies in creamy Pesto Sauce!! This Cafe Style Vegetarian Pesto Sub Sandwich is the one of the best sandwiches recipes, just like the ones served at your favourite Cafe or can I say much better than that!!
Are you bored with your regular basic paneer or mixed veggie sandwiches with mayo and ketchup, loaded with cheese. Try this Cafe Style Pesto Sandwich with the freshness of pesto(homemade) and crunch of veggies in creamy sauce.
This is going to be your next favourite which you will love to make again and again for your family and friends.
We all love Sandwiches, from basic Chutney sandwich to the ones with most exotic ingredients. Picnics, parties, lunchboxes or snack time sandwiches are a crowd pleaser, quick and easy to put together and easily portable. Sandwiches are filling and at the same time can be enjoyed with any drink or beverage of your choice.
About the Recipe
This Veg. Pesto Sandwich Subway style can be prepared in jiffy with few basic ingredients available at home.
Make it for your barbeque parties, kids' get togethers or birthdays. Office lunches, kids lunch box or pack a couple while enjoying your picnics. These sandwiches can also be enjoyed for breakfast or Sunday brunch or kitty party with your friends,
The creamy basil pesto sandwich filling is delight for vegetarians.
I love Basil Pesto especially the fresh homemade one. It adds so much of flavour to the dishes. Check here Homemade Basil Pesto Recipe.
I add pesto not only to pasta but also use in marinating tikkas , as sauce for pizza and sandwiches. This Subway style Pesto Sandwich has creamy filling of veggies and paneer with crispy lettuce. My kids love paneer so I add it to the filling whenever I make sandwiches or wraps for them.
You can also use store bought Basil Pesto in the recipe as it now easily available at stores(in remote Indian towns) or you can order online.
The recipe is kids friendly, adaptable as per the preference of veggies to be used, you can adjust the spice levels and it is crowd pleaser.
You can use this filling in making Subway Style Footlongs, Subs or use it with your basic sandwich bread.
Recipes with Basil Pesto
If you love Sandwiches then you will surely like these from the blog
Ingredients to make Cafe Style Creamy Veg. Pesto Sub Sandwich
Bread- To make Subway style sandwiches use footlongs or subs(6"). I have used 6" Multigrain Sub in the recipe. If you do not want to use footlongs or subs then you can even use your basic sandwich bread. Use Gluten-free bread for Gluten-free version.
Butter- To prepare the veggies and toast the bread. Use Olive if you want to avoid butter.
Basil Pesto- Use homemade or store bought. Fresh homemade pesto is a game changer here. If you can source fresh basil leaves then make fresh pesto and you will know the difference.
For Veggie Filling- Mixed Veggies like Onions, Colored Bell Peppers,Sweet Corn, Mushrooms and Paneer as my kids love it.
For Creamy Sauce -Cream, Greek Yogurt( thick hung curd). There is no cheese in the recipe, if you want you can add mixed mozzarella and cheddar cheese while preparing the filling, about 2 tbsp shredded cheese for the given ingredients.
Spices- Red Chilli flakes, Italian Seasoning, Salt (very little, as pesto already contains salt).
I have used Romaine Lettuce for layering, you can also add thinly sliced ringed onions, tomatoes, baby spinach or other greens and cucumbers. I like to keep it simple so as to enjoy the refreshing pesto flavour.
Bread Recipes from the blog where you can use the filling
Substitutes for Vegans
For Vegan friendly sandwich filling, vegans can replace Paneer with Tofu. Replace butter with Olive Oil.
Greek Yogurt, Cream and Mayo can be substituted with Vegan Yogurt and Cream( cashew cream and yogurt) and use Eggless Mayo.
Skip cheese or use a vegan version.
Let's make the Cafe Style Veg. Pesto Sandwich
Chop the veggies roughly in small pieces. Cut paneer in small pieces.
Mix together yogurt and cream and keep aside .
Prepare the veggie filling. Saute the veggies.
First heat butter/oil, add onions and saute for 2 mins. Then add sliced mushrooms if you are using in the recipe. Cook mushrooms at high flame keep on stirring.
When mushrooms start turning translucent, add bell peppers, corn and paneer. Add chilli flakes, seasoning and salt.
Saute and mix nicely. Add very little salt as pesto already salty and we can adjust the amount later.
Switch off the flame and then add yogurt and cream and mix immediately. If we keep the flame on then yogurt and cream can curdle. Mix well. At this stage add grated cheese if using in the recipe.
Take the sauteed veggie mix in a bowl. Once the veggies cool down, add pesto and mix well.
Assembling the Sandwich
Now, cut the sub in half (length-wise). Apply butter and lightly toast the bread. You can do it in air fryer, oven, toaster or griddle(stovetop). Check recipe card for details.
Spread some pesto on both the half on the inner side.
Keep lettuce on the one of the half and spread the filling. You can also add sliced tomatoes and onions (I didn't add). Top it with a some mayo for extra creamy taste.
Cover with the other half and serve.
How long can we keep Subway Style Pesto Sandwich
Sandwiches are meant to be eaten fresh on the same day. I do not prefer making it a day ahead. You can prepare the filling and refrigerate it. Assemble the sandwich a couple of hours before serving. While making for picnics you can prepare it overnight and tightly wrap (twice) in cling film and refrigerate.
Refrigerate leftover filling and use it by next day.
Tightly wrap sandwich in a cling film and refrigerate. Use it by next day.
I do not freeze sandwiches so can't suggest this option.
Recipe card for Cafe Style Pesto Sub Sandwich
Cafe Style Pesto Sub Sandwich
- 2 Subs or 1 Footlong
- Butter to spread on bread for toasting
- 2 tsp Butter or Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Basil Pesto
- ¼ Cup Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd
- 2 tbsp Cream Dairy Cream or Plant based cream
- ½ Cup Chopped Mixed Bell Peppers
- 3-4 Button Mushrooms
- 1 Chopped Onion(Medium)
- 2 tbsp Boiled Sweet Corn
- ½ Cup Paneer chopped in small pieces (100 gm)
- Italian Seasoning as required
- Red Chilli Flakes as required
- Salt as required
To Assemble Sandwich
- Lettuce Leaves as required
- Finely Sliced Onion Rings optional
- Finley Sliced Tomato optional
- Mayonnaise as required
- In a pan heat butter/oil.2 tsp Butter
- Add finely chopped onions. Saute till it starts turning translucent.1 Chopped Onion(Medium)
- Add sliced mushrooms.3-4 Button Mushrooms
- Saute till the mushrooms start turning translucent.
- Now add bell peppers, sweet corn and paneer and saute for 1-2 mins. Do not saute for long, keep the veggies crunchy.½ Cup Chopped Mixed Bell Peppers, 3-4 Button Mushrooms, 2 tbsp Boiled Sweet Corn, ½ Cup Paneer chopped in small pieces
- Add Italian seasoning, chilli flakes as required and very little salt and mix.Italian Seasoning, Red Chilli Flakes, Salt
- Add yogurt and cream and mix well.¼ Cup Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd, 2 tbsp Cream
- Switch off the flame. Else yogurt and cream will leave water or curdle.
- Transfer the filling in a bowl and let it cool completely.
- Now add pesto and mix well. Check and add salt if required.2-3 tbsp Basil Pesto
Assembling the Sandwich
- Cut the subs in half, vertically.2 Subs
- Apply little butter on the inner and outer side of both the halves.Butter
- Toast the bread. You can use Air Fryer/Oven/Toaster or Griddle . (Check Notes)
- Spread some pesto on both the half on the inner side.2-3 tbsp Basil Pesto
- When done layer, lettuce on the one of the half and spread the filling. You can also add sliced tomatoes and onions.Lettuce Leaves, Finely Sliced Onion Rings, Finley Sliced Tomato
- Top it with a some mayonnaise for extra creamy taste.Mayonnaise
- Cover with the other half and serve.
Do try this Cafe Style Pesto Sub Sandwich for your loved ones. I am sure you all will love it. Make it for dinner time or sunday brunches, parties and get togethers.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!