Basil Pesto Spaghetti Recipe in Instant Pot with Stove Top instructions included| Learn how to make Pesto Pasta
Quick and easy one pot Vegetarian and Vegan friendly Basil Pesto Spaghetti tossed with simple Basil Pesto and cherry tomatoes for a light lunch or dinner.
- About the Recipe
- Basil Pesto Spaghetti with homemade Basil Pesto
- Ingredients to make Basil Pesto Spaghetti
- How to cook Spaghetti
- Stepwise pics to make Pesto Spaghetti
- Storage Suggestions for leftover Pesto Spaghetti/Pesto Pasta
- Serving Suggestions
- Few more Pasta Recipes from my blog
- Recipes with Basil Pesto and Fresh Basil
- Recipe Card for Basil Pesto Spaghetti(Instant Pot and Stove top)
- Basil Pesto Spaghetti (Instant Pot and Stove Top)
About the Recipe
10 min Basil Pesto Spaghetti or Pasta Recipe, made in Instant Pot, is one of our favourite pasta dishes especially in summer time, when we have lots of fresh basil available.
If you do not want to spend time in your kitchen and want something exotic gourmet style, the this INSTANT POT BASIL SPAGHETII is a must try.
And who will say NO to pasta. Pasta dishes are a every age groups favourite. With so many variations in shapes, types and pasta sauces, there a no. of variations one can never get bored with pasta.
So, let's see my version of Basil Pesto Pasta or Pesto Spaghetti made in Instant Pot. Check the recipe card for the Stove Top version also, incase you do not have an IP.
Basil Pesto Spaghetti with homemade Basil Pesto
Pesto Pasta recipe that is so easy and quick to make and yes so delicious too. The recipe is so easy that even your teenage kids can make it by themselves with a few pointers from your side. All you need is a jar of pesto and your favourite pasta along with parmesan cheese which adds a umami flavour to it.
I love my simple homemade Pesto made with Walnuts, Cashews as Pine nuts are not always not available. Also, in homemade pesto we can adjust the amount of cheese, oil (yes you can make Pesto even with less oil).
Whenever I am able to source fresh Basil I make it with my HOMEMADE PESTO or it is also perfectly fine to use the store-bought ones. Checkout my Homemade Basil Pesto in the link below.
Ingredients to make Basil Pesto Spaghetti
Pasta - For the recipe here I have used Spaghetti. I also make it with Penne, Fusilli or Fettuccine. Pesto must stick to the pasta or spaghetti strands.
Basil Pesto(Pesto Genovese)- Use Homemade or Store bought. Check link for Homemade Pesto shared above in the post.
Cheese- Traditionally hard cheese like Parmigiano Reggiano(popular as Parmesan Cheese) or Pecorino Sardo is used.
Olive Oil- I recommend using a good quality olive oil to cook pasta in IP. You can also use any other good plant based oil.
Vegetables- Add any veggies of your choice like bell peppers, zucchini or mushrooms . I like serving it with pan/oven roasted Cherry Tomatoes.
If adding veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms in pasta while cooking in Instant Pot, add add 1-2 tbsp oil and switch on the sauté mode for 5 mins.. Roast the veggies stirring continuously. Do not over cook, retain the crunch.
Others-- Chilli Flakes. If using store bought pesto add salt carefully as it has more amount of salt in it. For homemade pesto.
How to cook Spaghetti
How to cook Spaghetti in Open Pot on Stove-top
Boil water in a big wide mouthed vessel. When the water starts boiling add pasta with little salt and 1-2 tsp oil . Cook till Al-dente(means cooked till a firm bite) as instructed on the box. Drain the water and keep pasta aside to use with the sauce.
Note- Do not throw away all the pasta water retain some to add in pasta if required.
Pasta dried out very quickly, adding pasta water minimizes the use of more oil and adds a bit of texture and glossy shine to it.
How to cook Perfect Non Sticky Spaghetti in Instant Pot
Cooking any type of pasta in IP takes half of the time minus one minute that it takes in open pot on stove top. This applies to any type of pasta cooked in Instant Pot.
To cook Pasta Al- dente, check out the cook time on the pasta box. If the stovetop timing says 10 mins. that means set the timer for 4 mins. Once the timer goes off, then do the QPR(Quick Pressure Release).
To cook soft pasta, add a minute more to the timing( that will be then 6 mins).
Another problem is the spaghetti sticking together when we cook it in IP. To avoid that, break spaghetti in half and spread it uniformly in IP. Add a little salt and water till the level of pasta.
Follow these tips and you will get perfect non sticky pasta spaghetti.
Stepwise pics to make Pesto Spaghetti
Storage Suggestions for leftover Pesto Spaghetti/Pesto Pasta
Store the leftover pasta in an airtight container and use it next morning. I never freeze it so, can't comment on it.
Do not reheat the leftover pasta as the pesto in pasta will turn black. Let it come to room temperature and finish it. If you are someone who doesn't like cold food and okay with slight black color of pesto then go ahead reheat it for min. in microwave or in a pan with 1-2 tbsp water.
Few more Pasta Recipes from my blog
Penne Pasta in Marinara Sauce(stove top recipe)
Recipes with Basil Pesto and Fresh Basil
I love using pesto in various dishes. You can check these soft and creamy Basil Pesto Paneer Tikkas, Cafe style Sub Sandwich, home baked breads (Basil Pesto Bread) or as filling in Star Bread for Christmas.
Since Parmesan has animal rennet, vegetarians can choose the version/the type which is made without it. Incase you do not have Parmesan, then you can also add other cheese like Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Halloumi,crumbled Feta.
For Vegan Pesto Pasta you can add nutritional yeast or make pesto without cheese using cashews and walnuts or use store bought Vegan Basil Pesto.
Basil Pesto when exposed to air/left open, turns black. So, if not using immediately after making pesto, store it in an airtight glass container.
Pesto Pasta is an uncooked Pasta, means that we do not cook pasta with pesto in any pan or IP.
Let the pasta cool a bit and then add pesto mix well. Cooking pesto turns it black and that spoils the looks and texture of the pasta/spaghetti.
To avoid Black Pesto, do not cook it . Switch off the IP , let the pasta cool a bit. Then add and mix it with cooked pasta/spaghetti.
Recipe Card for Basil Pesto Spaghetti(Instant Pot and Stove top)
Basil Pesto Spaghetti (Instant Pot and Stove Top)
- Instant Pot
- Big Container(for stove top method)
- 8 Oz Spaghetii
- 1 Cup Basil Pesto (homemade/store bought)
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese as required
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- Chilli Flakes as preferred
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes as required
Pesto Spaghetti in Instant Pot
- Take Spaghetti and break into half.
- Layer it on the base of inner pot spreading it uniformly.
- Add water till the spaghetti is soaked in it. Add little salt and olive oil
- Now close the lid and switch on the IP, in Pressure Cook Mode, set the timing to 4 mins for al dente pasta and 5 mins for soft pasta.
- When the IP beeps, wait for few seconds and the do the Quick Pressure Release.
- Open the lid and toss spaghetti lightly with the help of tongs to separate it.
- Now add pesto, roasted cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Toss lightly to mix pesto and cheese.
- Take out in a pasta bowl and serve topped with more pesto and cheese as preferred.
- Check notes in case of adding veggies in pasta.
Pesto Spaghetti in Open Pot(Stove top)
- In a big container boil enough water.
- When the water starts boiling add spaghetti. You can break it in smaller size if the container is not big enough.
- Cook as per the instructions on the package, till al dente.
- Then drain the water and keep aside till further use.
- Now in a pasta plate or serving bowl, add cooked spaghetti, pesto, cheese, pan roasted tomatoes or veggies if adding.
- Toss lightly mixing and coating pesto nicely on the spaghetti strands.
- Serve garnished with more pesto and cheese if you like.
Share your feedback whenever you make this. I am sure you and your family will love it as much my family loved it.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!