Chatpate Kale Chane(Jaisalmeri Chane).. Black Chickpeas or Kala Chana in spicy and tangy yogurt gravy with spices and thickened with chickpea flour(besan).
Chatpate Kale Chane(Jaisalmeri Chane) is a special curry from Jaisalmer in Rajasthan(India), also known as Kala Chana Kadhi.
Kale Chane or Kala Chana is back chickpeas. Pronounce Kale as "Kaa-le" not like the leafy greens' KALE'!!
Boiled chickpeas are added to yogurt gravy tempered with Indian spices. The gravy is thickened with chickpea flour of besan. It is a gluten-free curry , served with rice or chapatis or can also be relished just like that as soup or stew.
Rajasthan(state in India) is one of the most visited tourist destination in world. The state has rich heritage and culture. Though majority part of Rajasthan is dessert or has very hot and dry climate but the people there, their food, their costumes everything is so colorful.
I did my college from Ajmer Rajasthan and I am a big fan of Rajasthani cuisine..Whether it is kachori, dal-baati, papad ki sabzi or lehsun ki chutney or gatte ka pulao. Rajasthani dishes are prepared in simple ways and have rich flavours due to the use of spices.
My kids love Kale Chana Masala where kale chane (cooked in onion tomato masala gravy) and enjoy it with rice. I got this recipe of Jaiselmeri Chane from Nita's Mehta's book on Rajasthan Cuisine. The was gifted to me by a dear friend and had lot of authentic Rajathani recipes.
Chickpea Flour in Rajasthani Cuisine
Since Rajasthan has dry weather and gets very scarce rainfall, people do not get to consume lot's of fresh vegetables. They mostly rely on dairy and various lentils and flours for the their daily consumption. Most of the dishes are prepared in either mustard oil or desi ghee and have lot flavourful spices, that keep the body cool in extreme climate(too hot in summer and too chilly winter nights).
What to have with Chatpate Kale Chane
For Jaisalmeri Chane, boiled kale chane are added gravy of yogurt/curd and besan(chickpea flour).It is also known as Kala Chana Kadhi but on the drier side and goes well with any of the flatbreads like Chapati, Paranthas like Masala Parantha or Tikadia.
Benefits of Kale Chane
Kale Chane are one of the best source of proteins for vegetarians, the rich source of fiber, minerals like iron, potassium, calcium.
Fiber content helps regulate blood-sugar levels in people suffering from diabetes and aids in weight-loss.
Very good source of folate for pregnant women, which prevents birth defects in new borns.
It is also a good source of calcium strengthens bones.
These are a few of the benefits of these nutritious legumes that are the powerhouse of energy and minerals!!
Ingredients for Chatpate Kale Chane
Boiled Black Chickpeas, Yogurt, spices like coriander powder, dry mango powder, red chilli powder are used. I make it without onion or garlic. Since it is a no-onion no-garlic recipe it can consumed during days like Navratri when people abstain from onions and garlic.
To make it gluten-free, skip asafeotida in recipe.
Black Chickpeas can be boiled in stovetop pressure cooker or Instant Pot. See the recipe card for details.
Check out the recipe card for details on how to make both the versions.
Let's see in detail how I make Chatpate Kale Chane or Jaisalmeri Chane
Chatpate Kale Chane
- 1 Cup Kale Chane
- 1 Tej Patta/Bay Leaf
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala optional
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1" Fresh Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- Fresh Coriander for Garnish
- Salt to Taste
- 1-2 tbsp Ghee/Oil
For Gravy Consistency
- 1/4 Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour Pls see Notes
For Semi Dry Version
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt/Curd
- 2 tbsp Besan/Chickpea Flour
- Soak Kale Chane(Black Chickpeas) overnight or at least for 5-6 hrs.
- Discard the water and put Chane in the pressure cooker with enough water with salt, and cook Chane till 4-5 whistles. Take off the flame and wait for the pressure to release.
- Take out 1/2 cup of boiled chana as much as you want to add , keep the water for later use.
- Mix besan and other dry spices in yogurt/curd with water and keep aside. Take care that are no lumps formed.
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Crush Ginger and green chilli in motor pestle and add once cumin seeds crackle.
- Add the whole dry spices(cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper). Roast for few seconds till it gives aroma.
- Add besan/ chickpea mixture to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add chana and mix well. Add salt as per your taste and adjust the water as per the consistency you like. This time I made on the drier side with little gravy.
- Garnish with chopped onions(optional) and coriander and serve hot.
For Gravy like consistency
- Add 1/4 cup besan to 1 Cup of yogurt/curd and add about 2 cups of water. Cook tlll it reaches desired consistency.
For Semi Dry version
- Add 2 tbsp of besan to 1/2 Cup of yogurt/curd and add about 1 cups of water. Cook tlll it reaches desired consistency.
Cooking Black Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- Drain over night soaked black chickpeas. Add to the inner pot of Instant Pot. Add about 3 cups of water.
- Set on the Saute Mode on for 10 minutes on high.
- Let it boil for few minutes till some froth accumulates at the top. Remove it and add salt
- Cancel the Saute Mode and set the Pressure Cook Mode on High and set timer for 20 minutes. Once done, do QPR(Quick Pressure Release) and check whether Chana are soft or not. Press one or two chana between the thumb and index finger. It should be soft and easy to press.
- Use as required.
For Gravy add more water and cook till the gravy thickens.
Do make Jaisalmeri Kale Chane or Chatpate Kale Chane for everyday meals or on any auspicious occasions and get togethers to perk up your festivities. These go well will Pooris and Ajwain Paranthas or Methi Paranthas also!!
Do give me your feedback whenever you try these.I will love to see the pics on any of my social FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!