Restaurant Style Hot and Sour Soup Recipe | How to make popular Chinese Hot and Sour Soup(Vegetarian)
One of the favorite soups to order at restaurants, dine-ins, sold as street food. It is perfect to have on a chilly winter evening or rainy day. Now make this delicious soup in the convenience of your home which tastes just like the one from your favorite Chinese joint.
What is Hot and Sour Soup
Hot and Sour Soup is a popular soup from Indo-Chinese cuisine is a spicy and hot soup made with the Asian sauces like Soy Sauce, Chilli Garlic Sauce/Siracha and Vinegar with vegetables like mushrooms, carrots, cabbage etc.. The soup is thickened with Cornstarch/Corn flour slurry and has a glossy texture.
You can count this in healthy soups as it is loaded with your favorite vegetables and can be made with very little oil. More reasons to make it at home is that you can control the tangy/sourness and spice level as per your taste.
This hot and spicy Soup is a crowd pleaser and a favorite among all the age groups and after Classic Indian Tomato soup it is popularly served at parties and get togethers also.
Ingredients to make Hot and Sour Soup
The soup is very easy to make, uses very little oil and you can add any veggies of your choice.
Vegetables and Herbs- I prefer using fresh vegetables like finely chopped Cabbage, Mushrooms, French beans, Carrots, Sweet Corn, Bok Choy etc. .
I have used button mushrooms, add any other variety like oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms.
Ginger, fresh Garlic, Spring Onions and fresh coriander/cilantro leaves adds so much flavour to the soup. I also love adding finely chopped coriander stems or celery. It is totally optional but add so much flavour in the recipe.
Sauces- Soy Sauce gives this soup it's characteristic flavour and color. Prefer using Dark Soy sauce in the recipe. For gluten-free version you can use Tamari sauce.
Vinegar adds the tanginess. Add any good organic vinegar like rice, pomegranate or apple cider. Siracha/Chili Garlic adds the heat.
You can also add a tsp of tomato ketchup
Spices- Black Pepper, Brown Sugar, Oil, Salt(as required).
Cornstarch/Cornflour- Thickens the soup and gives it the characteristic glossy shine. Cornstarch is gluten-free, but if you abstain from using corn related products or do not have it, arrowroot or tapioca are good options.
If you are allergic to mushrooms or do not like it, omit it from the recipe.
Add Paneer/Tofu to add protein.
You can also add boiled or crispy fried noodles(wheat/rice or millet based) in the soup.
Adjust the sauces and pepper/green chilies and chilli sauce as per your taste and heat tolerance.
You can add white pepper or chilli paste or chopped green chilis for hotness.
To make it gluten-free, add gluten-free sauces. Cornstarch is gluten-free, but if you abstain from using corn related products, arrowroot or tapioca are good options.
Tip to make perfect Restaurant Style Hot and Sour Soup
Keep all your vegetables ready (chopped) before making the soup.
Mix all the sauces to easily add and mix in the broth. Add the sauces after adding the vegetables and water/vegetable stock. It's because the sauces coat vegetables which in turn become dark and then will lose the color.
Prepare cornstarch/cornflour slurry just before adding to the broth. Do not too much cornstarch as the soup with get very thick and loses the flavour.
Boil the soup on high flame after adding cornstarch till it is glossy shine.
Add some sugar(brown sugar/jaggery powder) to balance the hot and sour flavour.
How long can we make ahead Hot and Sour Soup
We love this soup hot and freshly made. I do use the leftovers the next day. Not beyond that.
When making for party or get together with friends, I make it in morning and then before serving reheat it in my instant pot or on stove-top in a pan and serve garnished with fresh spring onion greens and chopped coriander/cilantro.
Storing Leftover Hot and Sour Soup
Leftover soup stays good for a day. Refrigerate it and re-heat in microwave or stove-top.
I do not like freezing this soup as the veggies lose the crunch and soup also loses the flavour.
More Soup Recipes
Other Indo-Chinese recipes on the blog
Veg. Fried Rice, Veg. Manchurian, Chill Paneer(Dry), Basil Chilli Paneer(Gravy), Crunchy Doritos Chilli Paneer, Veg Spring Rolls(Fried and Baked), Crispy Lotus Stem in Honey Chilli Sauce , Air Fryer Veg. Manchurian(dry) , Air Fryer Crispy Vegetables(Chinese Style) and more
Recipe Card for Restaurant Style Hot and Sour Soup (Vegetarian)
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- ½ Finely Chopped Onion
- 7-8 Garlic Cloves
- ½" Fresh Ginger piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1 cup Cabbage finely chopped/shredded
- 1 medium Carrot finely chopped
- 5-6 French or Green Beans finely chopped
- 5-6 Button mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 Spring Onion(white) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Spring Onion(greens) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Stems Finely chopped or use celery stick
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander(Cilantro) finely chopped for garnish
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp Sweetener (brown sugar, jaggery, maple. honey)
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil or any plant based oil like Olive Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar Rice/Apple Cider/Pomegranate
- 1-2 tbsp Chilli Garlic Sauce /Siracha , use as required
- 2-3 tsp Cornstarch/Cornflour
- Water/ Vegetable Stock
- Wash and clean the vegetables.
- Finely chop ginger, garlic and green chillies(if using). I did not add green chilies.7-8 Garlic Cloves, ½" Fresh Ginger piece, 1-2 Green Chillies
- Finely chop and keep the vegetables ready.1 medium Carrot, 5-6 French or Green Beans
- You finely chop or shred the cabbage in food processor. Chop mushrooms.1 cup Cabbage, 5-6 Button mushrooms
- In a wok/kadhai heat oil and add finely chopped onion and spring onion (whites).½ Finely Chopped Onion, 1 tbsp Sesame Oil, 1 Spring Onion(white)
- Sauté for few seconds and then add chopped ginger, garlic and coriander stems.1 tbsp Coriander Stems
- Sauté till garlic starts turing light brown.
- Add the chopped veggies (carrots, beans) and sauté on high flame for few seconds.
- Add cabbage and sauté for another few seconds. Now add mushrooms. Add mushrooms in the last as it leaves lot of water when cooked.
- Add the water or vegetable stock. Let it boilWater/ Vegetable Stock
- Make cornstarch slurry. Add 1/4 cup water.2-3 tsp Cornstarch/Cornflour
- Add the sauces, salt and sugar.1 tsp Sweetener, 1.5 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce, 1-2 tbsp Chilli Garlic Sauce, Salt
- Give the soup a nicely boil till it starts to thicken and gets a glossy shine.
- Add black pepper powder, chopped spring onions.1 tbsp Spring Onion(greens), 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- Before serving add chopped fresh coriander leaves.1 tbsp Fresh Coriander(Cilantro)
- You can also top with chilli oil or sesame oil or very little chilly vinegar.
Make this soup whenever you want to feel warm or just like that enjoy the Chinese flavors.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!