Learn how to make Eggless No Yeast Bread
Yeast-free, Bread recipe, with stepwise Video Recipe.. CLICK HERE
Looking for a quick bread recipe without yeast?? Here is a simple and quick bread recipe, no yeast, no proofing time and no eggs.
Dense, Crusty and simply rich in flavors. Ready within 1 hr from start to end.
You can call this no yeast bread, a cheat bread or emergency bread , as it can be baked in jiffy, if you run out of bread and yeast.
Due to the current situation, many stores are running out of yeast, bakeries are closed and we are not able to go out often due to restrictions.
It take just a few minutes to mix all ingredients, then another couple of minutes to bake in pre-heated oven.
For the recipe I referred to a few online recipes, then adjusted the ingredients as per my requirement. This is my second time baking it. Kept my fingers crossed both the time, and so happy to get the results. Only those who who can understand the joy!! 🙂
With few basic ingredients you can bake this no yeast bread. It's basically mix all and bake bread.
Basic Pointers to get the perfect No Yeast Bread
- This is a no knead bread, do not knead, just mix all ingredients. Bread can become more dense and hard as gluten develops in wheat flour with kneading.
- I have used Aashirvaad Whole Wheat Atta/Flour( For those in USA and other countries this flour is available at Indian Grocery Stores).
- Adjust the amount of liquid(milk) used in recipe, depending in the amount of barn in flour.
- Use milk and butter at room temperature. Do not use straight out of refrigerator.
- Also, do not expect light and pillowy bread like your regular sandwich bread with yeast. It is going be on the denser side, and more dense when we bake it with Whole Wheat Flour.
- Also, every oven behaves differently. If you are baking convection oven, check out the browning of top. It happens fast, you can cover the pan with foil after 30-40 mins. Check the oven temperature using Oven Thermometer of you have.
Please Note.. Baking in convection oven and OTG maybe give you different results. Make sure you preheat the oven to proper temp. If you are used to bread baking at home, you will see the batter/dough is more like muffin batter or banana bread. So, it will give you almost the same texture as quick breads.
What ways can I use this No Yeast Bread
Frankly, this tastes best when toasted.
You can toast this bread spread some butter or jam. Or make open cheese toast or even sandwich or cheese toast.
Dip toasted bread slices in garlic basil Vinaigrette and pair with salads.
Ingredients to make No Yeast Bread
I made this bread using Whole Wheat Flour(WWF), Semolina. You can use also use All Purpose Flour/Maida(APF).
Semolina adds softness to whole wheat bread . You can skip it if you do not have it. Add same amount of WWF or APF.
Wheat breads are quite dense, even when we bake with yeast. If you bake it with Maida , it will have a more light texture.
Baking Soda and Baking Powder act as leavening agents. These need an acidic agent to work, to make it air and light. I used buttermilk(Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar mix not Indian Chaas) and yogurt . Both add to softness in bread.
I topped the bread with chia seeds, with sunflower seeds. Also added about a tbsp of chia seeds to bread batter.
You can add roasted Cumin Seeds and Chilli Flakes or Italian seasoning, garlic powder or any other seasoning additional flavor. Flax seeds, pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds can be also be used as topping.
Substitutes that you can use..
In place of Whole Wheat flour as mentioned above you can use Maida/All Purpose flour or a mix of both.
Vinegar can be replaced with lime/lemon juice.
I have used both Baking Powder and Baking Soda. You can skip baking soda, in case you don't have it and can add a tsp more of baking powder.
Use Plant based milk like Almond Milk, Soy Milk and Yogurt for vegan friendly version.
For a more lighter bread can use water for kneading instead of milk. For that add vinegar after adding water in flour and mix quickly. Water based breads are more one the crisper side.
No Yeast Whole Wheat Bread
- Oven/OTG/Microwave Convention Oven
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup Semolina
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Honey/Maple Syrup or sugar(raw cane or castor)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Milk about 250 ml
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- ¼ Cup Milk Powder optional
- 1-2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- Mixed seeds or chopped nuts to sprinkle on top. Flax/Pumpkin/Chia/Hemp, Walnuts or Almonds.
- Make buttermilk. Add vinegar to milk, let it stand for 5-10 mins.
- In a mixing bowl add semolina and yogurt. Mix and keep it for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Now add whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda,milk power(if adding), 1 tbsp of chia seeds and mix well. If adding any seasoning, add in this step.
- Add honey or sugar and oil to buttermilk. Do not mix.
- Add buttermilk mix now to flour and just lightly fold.
- Dough will be very sticky, we do't have to knead it. It will like very sticky and thick batter.
- Transfer to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Top with mixed seeds or finely chopped nuts.
- Check after 45 mins. Insert a toothpick or skewer in middles of loaf. If it come out clean take tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 50-60 mins at 350°F or 180°C.
- If there is wet dough or light crumbs on toothpick, bake for another 10-15 mins. If the top becomes brown, cover with a foil, so that the top doesn't burn.
- Once done, leave on counter or transfer carefully to cooking rack.
- Cut bread in slices when completely cool.
- Enjoy with butter, jam or the way you like.
Do try this, it's soft it nutritious loaded with healthy ingredients. Though it has some amount of baking powder and soda, but it much better than the store bought version loaded with high fructose sugar syrup or only all purpose flour.
Other No Yeast Bread Recipes from the blog.. Whole Wheat Tawa Naan, Bhature
If you like to checkout some Other Bread recipes with yeast...Pav(Indian Dinner Roll), Basil Pesto Bread, Biroche Buns, Whole Wheat Beetroot Mini Sliders Buns, Whole Pizza with Instant Pot Proofed Dough,
Whenever you make this bread do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!
My bread doesn't have enough holes in it .. otherwise it's perfectly fine
If you have used whole wheat flour then the bread comes dense, the more there is bran in wheat flour the more dense the bread will be.. also it there can be a a possibility of the oven temperature as it varies from oven to oven, invest in a good oven thermometer to get exact temp. readings. Thanks for trying out the recipe.
Loved this recipe of bread without yeast. Nice detailed post, I must try it sometime. The bread looks good.
Thanks for this recipe. I’ve tried few No yeast breads and the results haven’t been as good. Bread came out properly baked within the mentioned time. I used water instead of milk which does make it slightly lighter.
In the ingredients list there is milk powder mentioned but nothing about it in Instructions?? When should it be added? Also, adding yogurt to semolina made it lumpy. I had to rub the flour with hand in that mixture as it wouldn’t mix and then I added the other ingredients. End result has some small lumps of semolina which I expected as it never mixed properly. Your thoughts?
Hello Kisna! Thanks for trying out the recipe. Pls make sure when you add curd/yogurt it should not be runny or thin in consistency. and pls take measurements correctly.Refer to my video in the post. Also, mix semolina well after mixing with curd and also give a nice mix after adding the flour. The batter should of muffin like consistency( or quick bread, I have mentioned in my post also).
Thanks for pointing out the milk powder. It is optional in recipe and I have updated the step where you have to add it.. along with flour and other leavening agents.
Whenever next time you are try this pls share your feedback.
No yeast bread looking just wow. It looks perfectly baked and sounds so delicious. Bread looks so spongy with perfect texture. will try your recipe, Thanks for sharing.
This is a wonderful bake without using yeast. Perfect for emergencies and this is a quick bake.. texture of the bread looks great
hem lata srivastava
That looks so amazing, healthy too lovely preparation and presentation perfectly baked. Thanks for sharing.
If this cheat bread is done in an hour, then its a recipe I'd love to try as sometimes hubby will suddenly say "I feel like having home made bread." If its crusty he will love it. A good quick bake and yes I hear all my relatives in US and UK complaining about not getting yeast.
Bread without yeast is much needed for the current situation. Though the bread looks dense as mentioned, it looks great. Loved the detailed write up. I must try this recipe.
Love that there is no yeast needed and it still comes out looking perfect!