Garlicky Potato Wedges perfectly made in Air Fryer and Oven( Detailed recipe video)
Crispy Potato Wedges, a quick, easy flavourful appetizer, side or snack on their own. These are usually baked or fried and served at diners or fast food takeaways. But now we can make perfect Potato Wedges in your Air Fryer also. And trust me every time these come out perfect!!
The Air Fryer Potato Wedges are perfect for a rainy chilli day with a bowl of soup or as a side with your favourite burgers or just like that for snacking with your favourite dip/ketchup.
About Potato Wedges
Potato Wedges are slices of unpeeled potatoes cut lengthwise and then baked (popular option) or deep fried and served with dips/sauces or simple ketchup.
These are a popular bar snack, served at diners, at popular kids fast food chains and is a favourite among all the age groups.
Nutritional benefits of Potatoes
Contrary to popular belief that potatoes are unhealthy, these tubers are loaded with nutrients. And it also, good for health when consumed in a proper and moderate way.
Potatoes are rich source of iron, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus. Good source of Vit C, in addition also contains a good concentration of Vit A, Vit B.
The concentration of minerals is high in the skin or just beneath the skin, so it always beneficial to have it with skin(cleaned of all dirt and impurities).
Avoid frying potatoes in oil as it absorbs more oil and leads to weight gain and increased sugar levels.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Traditional way of making potato wedges is baking in oven or deep frying, but now using my air fryer I can make even a small batch more quickly then the in oven.
Baking wedges takes about 30-40 mins. and is good for making a big batch. When kids want a quick snack or I have to pair up something with soup, I now make it in Air Fryer as it gets ready within 20 mins.
Advantages of having Air Fryer at Home
Investing in an Air Fryer is one of the best decisions that we can make for our kitchen. This kitchen gadget is so handy and there are so many options available nowadays. It can be used for baking, as a substitute to frying (one of the best) and roasting the veggies, snacks.
- Air frying cuts down the amount of oil used for deep frying snacks.
- Deep frying certain food items may produce some cancer causing compounds. Air frying reduces the risk of formation of such compounds.
- No standing over the cooking dish and continuous monitoring.
- Use it to crisp the frozen food instead of deep frying which is more fuss, quick and more health friendly.
Air fryers are handy kitchen gadgets and do not occupy much counter space.
Use your Air Fryer in everyday cooking and you can even bake cakes and muffins as per the capacity of your Air Fryer.
Checkout the various Air Fryer Recipes form the blog here--> AIR FRYER RECIPES Vegetarian and Vegan
Baked Potato Wedges
When making a big batch or if you do not have an Air Fryer then you can make it in your Oven or OTG or even you Conventional Microwave oven. After seasoning arrange on the baking tray line with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 mins at 200C or 400F. You can flip the wedges in between for even cooking on both sides.
For OTG bake with both rods on mode.
Cleaning Potatoes for making Potato Wedges
Wash and clean the potatoes very nicely cleaning away all the dirt from the skin. You can use a clean and unused tooth brush and scrape away the dirt.
You can also peel away the skin if you do not want it.
How to cut potatoes to make Potato Wedges
Cut potatoes lengthwise into half, then cut each half into thirds. So one potato gives you around 6 wedges. Take care to cut equal size for even baking. Do not cut very thick pieces as the wedges won't get crispy and may take a long time to bake/air fry.
Is soaking important before making wedges
Soaking is an important part of making either the fries or wedges. Soaking sliced potatoes takes out extra starch. This helps the potato slice to hold the shape and not becoming soft, soggy and sticky.
Though many recipes suggest not soaking the wedges but I will suggest you to soak the wedges at least for 15-20 mins.
After draining the wedges, dry the wedges completely. wipe with a kitchen towel to ensure complete drying before seasoning or air frying/baking.
Ingredients to make Potato Wedges
Potatoes- Choose equal sized potatoes for uniform baking/air frying. Starchy dense potatoes are best for making wedges. Avoid potatoes which have more water content.
American Russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes or Yukon Gold are best to use for making wedges.
For Indian variety select the old potato. Newly harvested Potatoes have lot of water content.
Also, discard the potatoes that have green spots or show sprouts coming out. Also, peel of the skin if there are any kind of spots on it.
Seasoning- We need simple ingredients available in your pantry.
Any good flavorless oil like rice bran, olive oil or refined oil. I prefer EVVO as it adds more flavour.
Salt, Red Chilli flakes are a must add along with some smoked paprika powder or Kashmiri Lal Mirch powder, it adds a nice color to the wedges.
I have used Italian seasoning. You can use any seasoning like Mixed herbs(Oregano, Basil, Thyme)/ Zaatar/ Indian Chaat Masala/ Peri Peri or simply sprinkle with parmesan and very finely chopped parsley.
Reheating Potato Wedges
Potato Wedges taste best and are crispy when served just out of oven/air fryer. After keeping for sometime these loose the crispness. You can reheat in air fryer or oven at preheating mode to make it crispy again. Do not do it again and again as the potatoes will loose it's nutritional value on being reheated several times.
Do not reheat potato wedges in microwave. It will become soggy and won't crisp up.
Can I freeze the Baked/Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Cooked wedges can be conveniently frozen. Put in an air tight freezer friendly container/ziplock.
You do not need to thaw wedges before reheating. Directly put in Air Fryer or oven and reheat with in preheated oven/air fryer for 5-10 mins at 220C or 450F.
Do not reheat frozen potato wedges in microwave. It will become soggy and won't crisp up.
More Recipes with Potatoes from the blog
Everyone loves Potatoes!! You can add in curries along with other vegetables or make so many different snacks. Potatoes have a long shelf life and are also pocket friendly. Easiest and quickest snacks or curries can be whipped up if there are guests come unannounced or you are having a get together.
Savory snacks with Potatoes
Curries with Potatoes
Recipe Card For Crispy Homemade Potato Wedges
Potato Wedges (Air Fryer and Baked Recipe)
- Air Fryer
- 4 Medium Sized Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder/Smoked Paprika optional
- Mixed Herbs optional
- Salt as per taste
Washing and Preparing Potatoes
- Wash Potatoes very nicely. Scrub all the extra dirt. you can use a spare tooth brush for the same.4 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Peeling Potatoes is optional. I like to keep the peel if there are no marks or spots on it.
- Cut each potato lengthwise into half .
- Then again cut each halve from the middle into half. This way you will have four pieces.
- If the potato slices are thick you can again cut into half. Do not cut very thinly and also in thick slices.
- Take some water in a bowl, enough to dip all the potato slices. Add ice cubes in it.
- Soak potatoes for at least 30 mins.
- After 30 mins. drain the water and then dry the wedges on a clean kitchen towel.
- Dry out completely.
Season the Wedges
- In a dry mixing bowl, add oil and all the spices.2 tbsp Oil, 1 tsp Onion Powder, ½ tsp Garlic Powder, ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder/Smoked Paprika, Mixed Herbs, Salt
- Mix nicely.
- Coat the wedges nicely with the spices and oil
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Preheat your air fryer at 200°C or 400°F (if there is any option in it).
- Add the seasoned wedges in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd it as wedges won't cook due to so much of steam.
- Air fry at 200°C or 400°F for 15 mins. Check and if required fry for 5 mins more for extra crispness.
Baked Potato Wedges
- Preheat oven at 200°C or 400°F.
- Line up the seasoned fries on the baking tray.
- Bake at 200°C or 400°F for 35-40 mins. Timings may vary with the oven size.
- After 15mins, you can flip the wedges for even cooking from both sides
- Serve hot and fresh with your favourite dip or sauce or ketchup.
Make this no-fuss recipe as a quick snack for kids or for your parties and enjoy!!
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!