Nutritious and delicious Instant Tomato Moong Dal Soup recipe | Indian Moong Lentil Tomato Soup in Pressure Cooker(Instant Pot and Stove-top)
Healthy Moong Lentil Soup with tomato, cilantro and bottle gourd/zucchini.
There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of warm soup especially when it is freezing cold outside or when you are or your loved one is own with cold and cough. It's when you want something light and wholesome without spending much time in the kitchen and comforting too!!
About the Tomato Soup with Moong Lentils
This tomato soup recipe is just all of the above. It is a kind of detox soup that you can make when you want to go on a detox diet. It is gluten-free, vegan and low in oil/fat. And since it uses only the light vegetables it is low in calories and perfect for those who are on weight loss, sugar-free and zero cholesterol diets.
This light soup has the goodness of tomatoes and cilantro along with ginger, garlic, some bottle gourd, carrot to give the creaminess. For protein factor and to add texture to the soup I use moong dal(lentil) that is light on stomach and easily digestible. The soup is rich in antioxidants and Vit. C that help in curing cold related infections. It is always advisable to increase the Vit. C in your diet through various food sources whenever suffering from cold and cough. When I look back, when the soups were not a everyday meal thing in Indian household, since those times my mom made this hearty soup that even my grandparents relished.
Ingredients to make Instant Pot Tomato Moong Dal Soup
Tomatoes and Carrots- These are one of the best sources of antioxidant lycopene that is anti-inflammatory, rich in Vit. C and minerals like calcium, potassium, folate and Vit. K.
Cilantro or Fresh Coriander- is rich in antioxidants, rich in potassium, calcium, and is anti-inflammatory and antipyretic. It is one of the best remedies for cold and cough. It also adds on to a fresh punch in the dish and keeps the dish fresh for longer.
Moong Dal or Split Yellow Moong Lentils-are the lightest variety of moong beans and it is easily digestible and light on stomach, and so recommended by Ayurveda to consume during fasting/detox or any kind of illness(like fever or stomach infections).
Bottle Gourd- promotes weight loss, helps in digestion and prevents constipation, reduces inflammation of liver and keeps the heart healthy. In place of Bottle Gourd you can use zucchini/pumpkin or squash.
Herbs- Ginger and Garlic, onions that are used are again rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic that protect the body against infections and build on the immunity.
Spices- Black Pepper, Turmeric Powder and Chilli flakes(optional).
How easy it is to use Instant Pot for cooking
My mom made this soup in pressure cooker and I also made it that way. But since the time have bought IP most of my pressure cooker recipes are cooked in a breeze and without me standing over and watching the cooking.
Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
Instant Pot is a wonderful kitchen gadget which is of great use when it comes to fuss-free one pot cooking.
I love using my Instant Pot Ultra for making dal, soups, pasta, rice/pilaf, proofing pizza dough and many more ways..
Do you know you can ferment your Dosa/Idli batter in Instant Pot and also use it to make rich and creamy Yogurt
Usually stove top cooking we need to keep a check on the no. of whistles. While cooking in IP simply set the timer and do your other work.
Then there is no spilling of dal water on counter, which is a common problem with pressure cooker.
We can cook two things together in with Pot in Pot(PIP) method, using stackable container for Instant pot. Will cover the PIP method of how I make Dal and Rice or Dal and subzi for the meal together.
Instant Pot Recipes from the blog that I love to make
Mix Vegetable Pulao, One Pot Creamy Spinach Pasta, Gajar Ka Halwa, Whole Wheat Pizza(Instant Pot Proofed Dough)
and for many more Instant Pot recipes .. CLICK HERE
How to make Tomato, Cilantro and Moong Dal Soup
This soup can be cooked in Pressure Cooker on stove-top and even in Instant Pot. You can cook it on stove-top in an open pan but the moong beans some take time to cook.
So it is always a good option to cook it in Pressure Cooker(Electric/Stove-top).
It takes about total 10 mins of cooking time in Instant Pot and Indian Pressure Cooker, minus the timings for pressure release.
Wash and soak the lentils 10 minutes before starting to cook the soup. I always pre-soak my lentils/beans before cooking as it shortens the cooking time and also are light on stomach. I have added some tomato paste in the soup along with fresh tomatoes or you can also add tomato sauce(/puree, not ketchup) in it to get the added flavour. Feel free to skip the paste or use tomato sauce.
Another thing to keep in mind while cooking with tomatoes is to always add a pinch or two sweetener to balance the acidity of tomatoes. Brown sugar or coconut sugar or maple syrup, any will be okay. Adjust the quantity of sugar as per the sweetness you want in your soup.
Skip Onion and Garlic for a no-onion no-garlic soup or Satvik soup recipe if you are on a detox diet (also avoid garam masala). Add a tsp of desi ghee instead of oil or butter.
Stepwise Pics for How to make Tomato Soup with Moong Dal Lentils
So do make this soup light and healthy soup, if you are on a weight loss diet or feeling too tired to chop the veggies and cook something delicious.
Add up some cream/parmesan cheese for kids to make the soup to make it appealing for them. Vegans can add some almond milk to get the creamy sweet texture, without it also it still has the creaminess due to lentils and bottle gourd.
Top it with some croutons or pita chips for the crunch. Add served the soup to kids with some butter toasted Cheese ravioli in parsley and black pepper. I and hubby had with some toasted garlic bread. A light and wholesome meal perfect for the below freezing temperatures here!!
More soup Recipes from the blog
Lemon Coriander Amla soup is another comforting soup that is helpful in curing the cold related infections.
Tomato based soups like Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup(Instant Pot recipe), Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup, Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup with Red Lentils, Tomato Apple Soup, Tomato Rasam are a favorite in my house after the Chinese Hot and Sour Soup and Tibetan Thukpa
We also love these Vegetarian Nacho Soup, Roasted Pumpkin and Carrot Soup and creamy Mushroom Sweet Corn Soup.
Recipe Card for Instant Pot Tomato Moong Dal Soup
Instant Pot Tomato Moong Dal Soup
- 4 Large Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Chopped Carrot
- ½ Cup Chopped Bottle Groud
- Handful of fresh Cilantro leaves
- ¼ Cup Split and husked Moong Lentils(Yellow Moong Dal)
- ¼ Cup Chopped Onions
- ½" Ginger piece
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (small)
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Coconut Sugar or Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Desi Ghee/Butter/Oi l(Flavorless)
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste optional
- Veg Stock or Water as required
- 1 tsp Garam Masala optional
- Black Pepper Powder freshly grinded for garnish
- Red Chilli Flakes optional
- Wash all the veggies and Cilantro. Wash and soak moong dal.
- Chop roughly tomatoes, ginger, garilc and onions
Instant Pot Method
- Switch on the sauté mode for Instant Pot and set the time for 5 minutes.
- When the screen shows hot, add oil/ghee or butter, add all the whole spices and cumin seeds.½ tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon Stick (small), 4-5 Peppercorns, 4-5 Cloves, 1 tsp Desi Ghee/Butter/Oi l(Flavorless)
- Add finely chopped or coarsely crushed ginger, garlic and sauté for a few seconds, add onions and sauté till light pink.½" Ginger piece, 3-4 Garlic Cloves, ¼ Cup Chopped Onions
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, carrots, and bottle gourd and tomato paste and mix.4 Large Tomatoes, ½ Cup Chopped Carrot, ½ Cup Chopped Bottle Groud, 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Drain the water from the soaked moong dal and cilantro leaves.Handful of fresh Cilantro leaves, ¼ Cup Split and husked Moong Lentils(Yellow Moong Dal)
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala(if using), salt and water around 2-3 cups.¼ tsp Turmeric Powder, Salt as per taste, 1 tsp Garam Masala, Veg Stock or Water
- Cancel the Sauté mode, place the cover and set the PRESSURE COOK MODE (HIGH), set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, release the pressure by QPR, and open the cover.
- Blend the soup by hand blender or let the soup cool then transfer carefully the contents in blender jar and blend in batches. Before blending take out the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- After blending, set the sauté mode for 5 minutes, and cook soup for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix. You can adjust the consistency by adding water if you want a thin soup.¼ tsp Coconut Sugar
- Let the soup come to a boil, serve hot add some freshly grinded black pepper and chilli flakes(optional)Black Pepper Powder, Red Chilli Flakes
In Pressure cooker(Stove-top)
- Follow all the steps under Instant Pot method, till sautéing and adding the veggies and lentil.
- Add veg-stock or water, close the lid and cook till 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure goes down or do the quick release, blend the soup and add sugar.
- Adjust the consistency of soup and cook again for 2-3 minutes till the boil comes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with more chopped cilantro and freshly ground pepper.
- Red Lentils/Dhuli Masoor Dal can be used in place of Moong Dal.
- I have given the method for Instant Pot Ultra. The steps and timings for the setting remain the same. Only the display is different in Ultra.
- You can use Zucchini/Pumpkin or squash in place of bottle gourd/lauki.
Do try this hearty vegetable soup and I am sure you and your family will love it especially on days when one needs comforting, light meal.
Linking my soup, to Angie's #260 Fiesta Friday , co-hosted this week by Mollie @ Frugal Hausfrau and Diann @ Of Goats and Greens.
Please do share your feedback if you find this post useful. And, if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
this lentil soup looks so vibrant ? Use of tomato must give a tangy touch to the whole soup surely !!!
I am not able to scroll down to the recipe because the the pictures are so beautiful. I am in love with this lovely soup
Thank you so much Veenaji ?!!!!
I love soups of all kind, and this tomato-lentil soup is one favourite with me and the kids ! such a vibrant colour, Swati...
Thanks dear!! Soups are always comforting and relished army place too!!
This soup is loaded with goodness! As I often have a salad or soup for lunch, this one with its nutritious veggies, moong dal and tomatoes is perfect for a filling and yet healthy lunch. Love this share for the low calorie theme!
Tomato Cilantro and Moong Lentil Soup looks so vibrant and healthy.Love this hearty and filling soup.
Thanks Preeti !!
Batter Up With Sujata
Soup with moong lentil sounds comforting, nutritios and delicious. Loved it. I love the taste of moong dal. And Tomato cilantro carrot cinnamon cloves made it so flavourful and mouthwatering. Bookmaking it to try soon. Awesome share. Perfect for the theme.
Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
I will save this up for the winter. It looks like a perfect winter warmer to me sans all the fuss of making the soup. wonderfully captured too.
Not only a delicious looking soup but nutritious too. Its a great idea to add lentils to make the soup filling.
Glad to know that your family is recovering from the infection Swaty. Love the beautiful color of this soup loaded with veggies and lentil. Sounds so wholesome and flavorful !
Swati, great soup to have. Lentils provide protien and are so healthy.
Wonderful soup! Sounds healthy & hearty.
The Girl Next Door
The soup looks so vibrant and full of flavour! Love how you have added moong daal to give the soup more protein and flavour. 🙂
Lovely colour of the soup makes it all the more inviting. Hearing a lot about the bad weather from family and friends so stay warm and keep sipping on hot liquids. Loved the recipe and the addition of lentils, making it more healthy and hearty.