Vegetable Tahri or Subz Tehri is a one pot spiced rice preparation with vegetables from Uttar Pradesh cuisine. It is a comforting , quick and easy meal which can be made in jiffy even with minimum ingredients available in your pantry.
In winter add the seasonal fresh vegetables that add on to the taste of this spicy rice dish. It is an everyday meal recipe but also cooked during Vasant Panchami/Saraswati Pooja (without onion and garlic).
You can also call it Vegetable Rice made in pressure cooker.
About the recipe
Vegetable Tahri or Subz Tehri is a one pot meal with rice and vegetables.
It is so popular in U.P that every region and every household has its own version of this dish. There is Aloo Matar ki Tehri, Vadi aur Aloo Ki Tehri, Vadi and fresh Toor Dal beans(Lilva Beans/Fresh Split Pigeon Pea) or Sabziyon ki Tahri/Mixed Vegetable Rice. You can also find variations in the way of making. Many add dahi/yogurt while making it, while many skip adding ginger and garlic paste to it. It can be prepared in a pan with Dum method or you can make it in pressure cooker (Stove top or Instant Pot).
What is Tahri or Tahiri
A tahiri or tehri is a vegetarian rice dish very popular from Uttar Pradesh state of India. It has similar spices to what goes in a pulao and is often confused with it. But it can be made with Dum Method(like Biryani) or in pressure cooker.
Subz is vegetables so, Tahri is Vegetable Rice with spices like turmeric, garam masala.
It is spelled as Tahri, Tehri, Tahiri or Taherii in different local dialects..
Checkout the Instant Pot Aloo Matar ki Tehri recipe
History of Tahri
The word Tahri is derived from Sanskrit word Tapahari which is a dish prepared from rice, dal chunks (badi), vegetables, cooked in ghee with spices especially turmeric. (source wiki). There are many ancient books which mention Tahri or Tapahari rice preparation with dal vadis( magodis), vegetables or hen's meat with spices and ghee.
Tahri may have been started by the vegetarian hindu community who probably were inspired by the style of making biryani, where meat was replaced with seasonal vegetables. Tahri is a popular meal not only in the Awadh region but also western parts of Uttar Pradesh.
Gradually with time variations with potato, peas, and other vegetables must have gotten popular, also the pronunciation must have changed with regions.
Ingredients for Vegetable Tahri/Tehri
Rice- I use long grain Basmati rice(best for tahri/pulao/biryani preparation). You can use medium grain rice also.
Vegetables- Potato and fresh seasonal peas (when making winters). You can use frozen peas also. You can add mixed vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, beans, corn etc.
Spices- Whole Spices - Bay leaf, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black Pepper, and Black Cardamom. Powdered Spices- Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala and Coriander Powder.
Dal Vadis- I have used Dal Vadis in the recipe. You may skip it if not available. Or, add nutrella/soya nuggets. Many people also add fresh toor beans/lilva beans.
Ghee is commonly used in traditional recipes and also adds to the flavour of the dish.
How to make Vegetable Tahri
We can cook Tahri in open pot or in pressure cooker. I prefer pressure cooker way of cooking as it cuts down the cooking time. You can cook it in Instant Pot also (checkout the Aloo Matar ki Tahri recipe).
Prepare the ingredients
- Wash rice nicely 2-3 times and soak in water for at least 20 mins.
- Prepare all your vegetables. Cut potatoes in cubes, carrots in cubes or small sticks. Wash and clean cauliflower florets, cut beans.
- Chop tomatoes roughly and make a coarse paste of ginger garlic and green chillies. You can use store bought ginger garlic paste also and add finely chopped green chillies.
- In pressure cooker add 1-2 tbsp Ghee, then add dal vadis, fry till it starts turning brown and fragrant. Take out and keep aside. Skip this step if not using the vadis.
- Add 1 tbsp more ghee, when it is hot add whole spices and cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds crackle add sliced onions, fry for few seconds then add ginger garlic and chilli paste.
- Cook till onions start turing light pink.
- Then add tomatoes and other vegetables. Add spice powders and fry vegetables for 1-2 mins in masala.
- When the masala starts to give aroma add rice, salt and water. Also, add fried vadis.
- Seal the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off the gas and wait for the pressure to come down.
- Then open the lid. Lightly fluff the rice. Do not over mix.
Please note: For 1 cup rice add about 1 and 1/4 cup water, or as per the rice variety you are using. Do not add to much water as the texture of rice with be very mushy like khichdi.
Can make it ahead and freeze
It tastes best when served fresh and hot, but you can make it ahead and refrigerate. Reheat in microwave for 1 min. High. depending on the quantity. Or, in oven on preheat mode. Keep it covered when reheating in oven. Add 2-3 tbsp water when reheating.
You can also freeze Tehri it in small portions. Thaw, reheat and consume the portions as required. Do not freeze again the thawed portion.
How to make Vegetable Tahri in Instant Pot
You can make it in Instant Pot. Check my post Aloo Matar Ki Tehri for the detail method and steps.
Serve Tahri with any raita of your choice along with pickle or hari chutney/ green coriander chutney and salad.
Few more One pot meal recipes from the blog
Vegetable Tahri/Subz Tehri (Pressure Cooker Method)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Dal Vadi/Mangodi Moong Dal Vadis
- 1 Potato Medium
- ½ cup Peas fresh/frozen
- 1 Carrot cut in batons/small portions
- 6-7 Cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup Green Beans/French Beans or as required
- 2 Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 Onion(Medium) thinly sliced
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh ginger small piece
- 1-2 Whole Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(small)
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black peppercorns
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- 2-3 tbsp Oil/Desi Ghee/Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 mins. in enough water.1 cup Basmati Rice
- Roughly chop onions and tomatoes.
- Keep your vegetables ready. Cut peel and cut potato in cubes, cut beans and carrots in batons or small pieces. Wash peas and cauliflower florets.½ cup Dal Vadi/Mangodi, 1 Potato Medium, 1 Carrot, 6-7 Cauliflower florets, ¼ cup Green Beans/French Beans, ½ cup Peas
- Make coarse paste of ginger garlic and green chillies using a mortar pestle.5-6 Garlic Cloves, 1-2 Whole Green Chillies, Fresh ginger
- Heat about 1-2 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Add moong dal vadi in it and fry till it is light brown and gives roasted aroma.2-3 tbsp Oil/Desi Ghee/Mustard Oil, ½ cup Dal Vadi/Mangodi
- Take out and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp more ghee, add cumin seeds and other whole spices.1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon Stick(small), 4-5 Black peppercorns, 1-2 Black Cardamom, 4-5 Cloves
- When the aroma from the spices starts coming add onions and then ginger garlic and chilli paste.1 Onion(Medium)
- When the onions start turning translucent and raw smell of garlic goes away, add tomatoes and cook till it starts getting soft.2 Tomatoes
- Add the vegetables and mix with onion tomato masala.
- Add garam masala powder,coriander masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix nicely.1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1-2 tsp Garam Masala, 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1-1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder, Salt to taste
- Cook vegetables in masala for a 1-2 mins.
- Drain the water from the rice and mix with the veggie masala and mix well.
- Add water just enough to soak rice. About 1 cup and less 1/4 cup . Depending on your rice variety.
- Cook rice on medium flame till 2 whistles.
- Once done, wait for the pressure in cooker to settle down, then open the lid. Fluff the rice lightly.
- Serve hot with choice of raita/yogurt and spoonful of desi ghee on it.
Do make this wholesome one pot meal Tahri especially when fresh vegetables are available. You and your loved ones are going to love it. It is such a simple dish to make with basic pantry ingredients.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!