Hara Choliya Pulao Recipe with seasonal green chickpeas and fresh turmeric. Green Chickpeas or Hara Choliya makes a scrumptious one pot meal for chilly winter afternoons. Serve it with any raita or chaas of your choice and salad for a whole some comforting meal.
Hara Chana Pulao can be made in pressure cooker or open pan and also in Instant Pot. In this post I am covering the Indian Pressure Cooker Method.
What is Hara Choliya
Hara Choliya also known as Green Chana or Green Chickpeas and are available during the winter months in North India. It is a fresh produce of chickpeas which are enjoyed all around the year.
Green Chana or Choliya are power house of nutrients. It is rich in proteins and essential vitamins. Choliya can be eaten raw or in boiled form. It is also very popularly used in making curries and pulao.
Hara Choliya curries were made a lot at my Naani's (maternal grandmother) place. Both Mom and Dad didn't like it much so mom didn't make it much at our place. But I somehow loved the sweet taste of fresh seasonal peas and I remember chewing the Chana directly from the pod. My Nani also used to boil it and serve with dash of chaat masala and lemon juice. A simple and flavorful protein rich snack.
Winters in North India are the best time to enjoy some fresh seasonal produce like Green Garlic, Red Carrots, Mustard Leaves and Bathua saag and these Choliya. Elders in my family always stressed on eating local and seasonal and that's what I am trying to inculcate in my kids.
So here is the recipe of this very simple but nutritious pulao with Green Chickpeas.
Ingredients for Hara Choliya
Green Chickpeas- Fresh Green Chickpeas with bright skin. Choliya stays good for 2-3days after that it starts to give an after taste. Always ask pack of fresh Choliya from your vegetable vendor. You can freeze it for a couple of weeks but I prefer making it fresh.
Rice- Long grain basmati rice is best for making Pulao. I use Daawat Basmati or India Gate Rice.
Other Vegetables- Onion, Tomatoes, Ginger, Garlic to make the masala for Pulao. You can also add other veggies of your choice like carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and beans.
Spices- Cumin seeds, Whole Spices like Bay leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Black Peppercorns(Kali Mirch), Cloves(Laung) enhance the flavour. Garam masala adds to the warm flavours. Instead of Garam masala you can also add Biryani masala for that Biryani kind of flavour.
Oil/Desi Ghee- I usually make pulao on desi ghee but for the convivence of my readers have used oil in the recipe. You can use Desi ghee. Contrary to the beliefs, Desi Ghee is very good for health when consumed in moderation. When using oil in recipe, serve pulao with spoonful of ghee especially to kids, it tastes awesome.
Plain Yogurt/Curd- to enhance the flavour.
How to make Choliya Pulao
Choliya Pulao can be made in open pot or in pressure cooker. Open pot method takes some time, whereas it takes just a few minutes of cooking time in pressure cooker.
Checkout the detailed recipe in the RECIPE CARD and attached VIDEO
Few pointers to note before making the Pulao
Soak rice atleast15 mins before making Pulao.
Take fresh green peas, stale peas don't taste good.
Add water just to the level of rice, else you will get sticky pulao.
Let the pressure come down naturally and then open the cooker. Don't be in the hurry to open it before it.
Can make Choliya Pulao in Instant Pot
Choliya Pulao can also be made in Instant Pot just like any other pulao. Details in the recipe card.
Checkout the Mix. Vegetable Pulao or Aloo Matar Ki Tahri Recipe
Other Pulao/Biryani Recipes from the blog-
Kathal Biryani(Jackfruit Biryani)
Choliya Pulao is best paired with any of your favourite raita, chutney and pickle. We also love to have it with Plain Chaas or Roasted Beetroot Chass.
Raita Recipes to go with Pulao -- Boondi Raita, Spinach and Pomegranate Raita, Bhatua ka Raita, Mixed Veg. Raita
Pickle Recipes from the blog that you will love to try-- Gajar Ka Khatta Meetha Achaar(Carrot Pickle), Fresh Turmeric Ginger Pickle , Aam Aur Kabuli Chane Ka Achaar, Amla ki Launji(Indian Gooseberry Chutney)
Recipe Card for Choliya Pulao
- Pressure cooker
- Measuring Spoons and Cup
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1 Cup Fresh Choilya/Green Chana
- ½ Cup Nutrella/Soy Nuggets optional
- ¼ Cup Plain Yogurt/Dahi
- 2 Onions(Medium)
- 3 Tomatoes(Medium)
- 1-2 Green Chillies use as per heat tolerance
- 1" Fresh Ginger Piece
- ½" Fresh Turmeric or use Turmeric Powder(1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1-2 Black Cardamon
- 4-5 Black Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- Wash rice 2-3 times till it is clear.1 Cup Rice
- Soak it for at least 15 mins.
- Wash Choliya in fresh water.1 Cup Fresh Choilya/Green Chana
- Make coarse paste of green chillies an ginger.1-2 Green Chillies, 1" Fresh Ginger Piece
- Finely chop onion and tomatoes.2 Onions(Medium), 3 Tomatoes(Medium)
- Heat oil/ghee in pressure cooker, add whole spices and cumin seeds.1 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 1-2 Black Cardamon, 4-5 Black Cloves, 4-5 Black Peppercorns, 2 tbsp Oil/Ghee
- Once seeds crackle, add chopped onions and ginger chilli paste.
- Once onions tart turning translucent or pink, add tomatoes.2 Onions(Medium)
- Cook tomatoes till mushy and soft.3 Tomatoes(Medium)
- Beat yogurt to smooth mix and add to the onion tomato masala. Keep the flame to low.¼ Cup Plain Yogurt/Dahi
- Add the spice powders(red chilli powder, garam masala powder) and mix.1 tsp Red Chilli Powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala
- If using turmeric powder, add in this step.
- Drain water from rice. Add Choliya, rice to onion tomato masala.1 Cup Rice, ½ Cup Nutrella/Soy Nuggets
- I added fresh turmeric at this step. If adding turmeric powder, add it with powdered spices.
- Add salt and mix well.Salt to taste
- Add water ½ inch above the level of rice.
- Lightly mix it and close the lid.
- Increase the flame and cook till 2 whistles or depending on your pressure cooker.
- Switch off the flame and let the pressure come down on it's own. Do not release the pressure.
- Lightly fluff the pulao.
- Serve hot with raita, pickle/chutney and salad.
- Boil 2 cups water in a pan.
- Add ½ tsp salt. Add Nutrela nuggets and switch off the flame.
- Let the Nutrella sit and let soak in hot water for about 1-2 mins.
- Drain the water once Nutrella are soft and spongy.
- Add to pulao while adding choliya and rice.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!
Leave a Reply