How to make Choliya Mangodi Ki Subzi | Hara Chana aur Moongdal Vadi ki Subzi
Mangodi Ki Subzi is a delicious curry with Mangodi/ Moong Dal dry dumplings in spicy tomato gravy. This is popularly made in North India and is served with Khichdi, Chapati, paratha or Rice. This curry comes under the popular Marwari cuisine from Rajasthan but is also popular in states like Western Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Punjab and Haryana.
When running out of ideas on what to make for lunch or dinner or when guests come over, prepare this curry with easily available ingredients in your pantry.
Mangodi ki subzi is also Vegan and Gluten-free(friendly)
About the recipe
There are various variations of this curry. Some people make it with potato, some make it with peas and some like it without any other vegetable, simple Moong dal Vadis.
The curry is also prepared as yogurt based curry. In this post, I have prepared it in tomato based curry.
For the recipe I have used fresh seasonal green chickpeas. During winters in North India we get fresh produce of green chickpeas known as Hare Choliya. These are the fresh form of the chickpeas that are enjoyed all the year round. Hara Cholia or Choliya is used in making a lot of curries and also added in pulao.
What is Mangodi
Mangodi is a fritter or vadi made with soaked moong dal, grinded with spices, piped in small pieces or portions and then sun dried till all the moisture evaporates. The Vadis can be used for upto a year if stored properly.
Mangodi are usually deep fried and added to curries or pulao recipes. Mangodi ki subzi or curry can be made as no onion garlic tomato based curry or yogurt based simple curry.
Health benefits of Hara Choliya
Mangodi ki subzi with Hara Choliya is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients as both the vadis and choliya have their own health benefits.
Hara Choliya or Green Chickpeas is protein rich, loaded with fibers, vitamins(A and C) and folate. The antioxidants present in it helps in boasting the immunity and skin and hair health.
Since the fresh produce is only available for limited time during winter months in North India, people make full use of this seasonal legume.
Mangodi are made with Moong lentils, so are rich in protein, fibre. Moong dal is also rich in Vit. C.
Ingredients to make Hara Choliya Mangodi Ki Subzi
Mangodi- Moong Dal Badi/Vadis stay fresh and good to use for about a year but, if it is very old and starts to smell stale do not use it.
Hara Choliya- I have added season's fresh produce of Choliya/green chickpeas. You can also add green peas/matar (fresh or frozen), potato or make the curry only with Mangodi.
Vegetable and Herbs- This is a no onion garlic curry. For the curry we add tomatoes, ginger, green chillies. Fresh coriander is used for garnish.
Spices- Hing(Asafetida), Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder, Garam masala, Oil/Ghee. Many families use ghee while making this curry for festivals and special occasions. It makes the curry very flavorful.
Whole Spices- Dry Whole Red Chillies, Bay leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Cloves and Black Peppercorns. These add so much flavour to the curry and are also good for digestive health.
How to make Choliya Mangodi ki Subzi
We make this curry in pressure cooker ( Stove top and Electric like Instant Pot). You can cook the curry in open pan or kadhai also but, it will take time for Mangodi to soften.
To make the curry with Mangodi we first fry it in oil, crush it using a grinder or mortar pestle. Then add to the prepared masala.
Grind together tomato, ginger and green chillies to puree. Skip green chillies or use as required as per your heat tolerance.
In the same oil, add whole spices, cumin seeds and then add tomato puree. Also, add spices to make masala.
Then add crushed Mangodi and Choliya.
Add water, salt and pressure cook for 2 whistle.
Open the lid of cooker when the pressure releases naturally. Check the curry and chickpeas if they are cooked. Adjust water and serve hot. Garnish with fresh coriander.
When making the curry without peas or potato cook it for one whistle only.
Can we make Choliya Mangodi Ki Subzi in Instant Pot
Yes we can make the curry in Instant Pot also or in any electric pressure cooker. For Mangodi ki subzi Instant Pot Recipe checkout the recipe card.
You can also serve it as part of festive meal or party menu along with other Indian delicacies.
Make this curry for festivals like Lohri and Makarsankranti. It is also serve it with Makarsankranti special Khichdi, Chilka Urad Dal Khichdi in many parts of western Uttar Pradesh.
Storing the Curry
Mangodi ki subzi tastes best when served fresh on the day when it prepared. Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container and finish by the next day.
I have not frozen this curry so can't comment on how long we can freeze and store it.
More Vegetarian Indian Curries from the blog
Kashmiri Dum Aloo , Kathal ki Subzi, Shalgam Ki Subzi, Aloo Matar, Matar Paneer, Matar Mushroom Masala, Papad Boondi Ki Subzi, Palak Paneer, Lauki Ke Kofte and many more easy vegetarian dals and curries for meal planning
Recipe Card for Choliya Mangodi Ki Subzi
Choliya Mangodi Ki Subzi
- Pressure cooker
- Grinder to make tomato puree
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 cup Mangodi
- 1/2 cup Hara Choliya/Choliya Green Chickpeas
- 2 Tomato
- Ginger small piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder or as required
- ½-1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard/Sarson Oil or any other plant oil
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Dry Whole Red Chilli
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick small
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- In a pressure cooker heat oil. When using mustard oil heat till it's smoking point. Switch off the flame a let it cool a bit.2-3 tbsp Mustard/Sarson Oil
- Add Mangodi and fry till light brown.1 cup Mangodi
- Take out the Mangodi and let it cool. Crush it with rolling pin or in a mortar pestle.
- Grind together tomato, ginger and green chillies. Skip green chillies or use as required as per your heat tolerance.2 Tomato, Ginger, 1-2 Green Chillies
- In the same oil in which we fried Mangodi, add cumin seeds and other whole spices. When the seeds crackle add tomato puree.1 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Dry Whole Red Chilli, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon stick, 4-5 Cloves, 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- Cook tomato puree for few seconds, then add spices and salt. Cook till oil is separates.1 tsp Coriander Powder, ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder, ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder, ½-1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tsp Salt
- Then add crushed Mangodi and Choliya.1/2 cup Hara Choliya/Choliya
- Add about 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Open the lid of cooker when the pressure releases naturally. Adjust water if curry is too thick. Add ½-1 cup if you want curry with thin consistency.
- Serve hot. Garnish with fresh coriander.
- When making the curry without peas or potato cook it for one whistle only.
Instant Pot Method
- To cook the curry in Instant Pot, switch on the IP at SAUTE MODE for 10 mins.
- Add and heat oil, then add Mangodi and fry till light brown. Then cool and crush /grind coarsely.
- Make masala with tomato puree and add spices and salt as mentioned in the above steps under stove top pressure cooker.
- Add Mangodi and green chickpeas and water.
- Cancel the SAUTE MODE and close the lid.
- Set the PRESSURE COOK Mode for 10 mins.
- Wait for 4-5 mins then release the pressure and open the lid.
- Check the consistency of curry and check if the chickpeas are cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Do try this spicy and delicious Mangodi ki Subzi with Hara Choliya or peas. It makes a filling and satiating meal.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!