Ragi Soup a light, nourishing and comforting soup recipe with Ragi flour and vegetables. A complete one pot meal for your whole family.
A balanced meal loaded with nutrients, perfect light meal for weight watchers.
Ragi Soup is Gluten-free, Vegan and Diabetic friendly!!
About the Recipe
Ragi or Finger Millet is one of the most nutritious cereal or Millet. Vegetable Ragi Soup is made with Ragi flour and vegetables which make it a well balanced meal. You can have it for lunch or dinner.
Ragi is also known as Finger Millet and by various names (Nachini, Mandua ) in different regions of India. It is one of the highest source of potassium, calcium among all the cereals and millets. It is rich in fibre which makes it ideal food to consume for weight watchers.
The soup has no spices and gets the flavour from ginger, garlic, black pepper and lemon.
Ragi soups is just like any vegetable soup. We add Ragi flour instead of cornflour, as soup thickener.
Reasons to make Ragi Vegetable Soup
- It is healthy, loaded with vegetables.
- Quick and easy to make.
- It is a complete balanced light meal.
- It is plant based, Gluten-free and diabetic friendly.
Ingredients for Ragi Soup
Ragi Flour(Nachini/Finger Millet Flour)- In regular Vegetable soup we add corn flour as soup thickener whereas here we add Ragi flour. Avoid long kept or old Ragi flour, as it turns rancid and may give an after taste.
Herbs- Spring Onions, Fresh Coriander, Ginger and Garlic, Lemon.
Mixed Vegetables- Use any seasonal vegetables, like peas, sweet corn, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage. You can also add broccoli, cauliflower, spinach etc.
Spices- We add only roasted cumin powder and black pepper.
How to make Ragi Soup/Finger Millet Vegetable Soup
The recipe can be adjusted as per the servings you want to make.
- Chop the vegetables finely. Coarsely crush or make paste of ginger, garlic and green chilli(optional).
- Add Ragi flour to water to make slurry.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add ginger garlic paste, saute for few seconds till the raw smell goes away. Keep the flame low.
- Add onions, till it turns translucent.
- Add the vegetables, carrots, sweet corn kernels, peas(when using in the recipe), first as it takes time cook.
- Then add capsicum and other bell peppers.
- Finally add cabbage as it takes least time to cook.
- Add water and let it come to a roaring boil. Then add Ragi slurry and mix nicely, so that no lumps are formed.
- Finally add freshly black pepper and lemon juice(optional) and then add spring onion greens and fresh coriander leaves.
Tips to make perfect Finger Millet Soup
- I like finely chopped vegetables in soup, you can chop in bite size also if you like.
- Make slurry before starting to make soup, there should be no lumps in slurry.
- Keep on stirring the soup after adding slurry.
- Let the soup boil for 2-3 mins. after adding slurry.
- Add finely chopped coriander before serving soup.
How long Ragi soup stays good to consume
Ragi soup tastes best when served fresh and ho. You can refrigerate/ the leftover for a day. The soup thickens when it cools down even after a few hours. Add some water as required while reheating the soup.
You can freeze the soup , thaw in refrigerator a couple of hrs before reheating. Vegetable lose the crunch when we freeze and again reheat the soup.
Ragi is one of the most nutritious cereal with numerous health benefits. Ragi takes long time to digest which keeps the tummy satiated and keeps the hunger pangs away. You can have it at noon or early evening. Since it is digested slowly, it can cause constipation.
Ragi is rich in iron, calcium and protein, phosphorous. It is gluten-free, has low glycemic index, which is suitable for people which sugar issues like diabetes
Consuming Ragi is good in moderate amount. But excess consumption should be avoided by those with kidney problems due high protein content. Those who have tendency of constipation they should avoid having it late night.
More Ragi Recipes from the blog that your may like to try
More healthy and Nutritious Soup Recipes for you
Ragi Soup/Finger Millet Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp Ragi Flour Nachini Flour
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp Oil
Vegetables for Soup
- ½ Onion(medium)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ½" Fresh Ginger piece
- 1-2 Green Chilli(optional) or as required
- 1 Carrot
- ½ Capsicum
- 2 tbsp Green Beans chopped
- 2 tbsp Sweet Corn Kernels
- ¼ cup Cabbage finely chopped
- 4-5 Mushroom optional
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Mix Ragi flour with ½ cup water. Make sure no lumps are formed.2 tbsp Ragi Flour
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic and green chilli or use store bought ginger garlic paste.2 Garlic Cloves, 1-2 Green Chilli(optional), ½" Fresh Ginger piece
- Chop the vegetables finely.
- Heat oil in pan, add onions and saute for few seconds.1 tsp Oil, ½ Onion(medium)
- Add ginger, garlic paste. Saute till raw smell of garlic and onion goes away.2 Garlic Cloves, ½" Fresh Ginger piece, 1-2 Green Chilli(optional)
- Add vegetables (Carrots, sweet corns, beans) first as it takes time to cook.1 Carrot, 2 tbsp Green Beans, 2 tbsp Sweet Corn Kernels
- Then add capsium and other vegetables like mushroom (whichever you are using). Cook for a few seconds.½ Capsicum, 4-5 Mushroom
- Then add cabbage as it takes least time to cook and we need to keep the crunch.¼ cup Cabbage
- Add cumin powder and salt.1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder, Salt
- Add about 2 cups water and bring it to roaring boil.
- Now add Ragi slurry and mix it nicely. Make sure no lumps are formed.
- Boil the soup for 2-3 mins. till it starts getting thick and glossy.
- Finally add black pepper, lemon juice and chopped spring onion greens.1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper, Juice of ½ lemon
- Add chopped coriander leaves just before serving.
Do try this healthy and nutritious soup recipe. It is a filling and a balanced light meal.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!