Crispy and crunchy Taco Bell Style Mexican Pizza Recipe with Tortillas stuffed with refried beans and topped cheese and toppings.
Restaurant Style Homemade Easy Tortilla Pizza Recipe with video
Taco Bell was one of our favourite take way joint when we stayed in US. Easily available or customized vegetarian menu with so much similarities with the Indian Cuisine.
About Tortilla Pizza
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza is one of the most popular items, that was they stopped making around 2018. Good news if they are soon planning to bring it back on their menu!! but till the time it is not available and you crave for it make it and enjoy!!
And if you never had it and want to try something new.. this is a must try recipe which is filling and at the same time delicious too.
It is also popularly known as Taco Pizza or Tortilla Pizza as the fillings are almost the same as Taco.
In India, at CHILI's Restaurant, they have Classic Nachos which is almost similar to Tortilla Pizza with refried beans, topped with cheese and served with sour cream and pico de gallo.
Reasons to try Mexican pizza at home
It is a very simple and easy recipe with easily available ingredients.
If you love Mexican/Tex-Mex cuisine.
Love cheesy pizza and want to try something that you have never tried!
Want healthy, clean eating.
Crowd pleaser and kids friendly.
Ingredients to make Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
Tortillas- I used store bought tortillas, you can use homemade like these Spinach Tortillas with Whole Wheat Flour or even leftover chapatis. For restaurant style Mexican pizza prefer store bought tortillas.
For Gluten-free Pizza, you can use any gluten-free flatbread or Soft Corn Tortillas.
Instead of Tortillas you can also use thin crust pizza dough. Bake the base after rolling till light brown (10-12 mins) and then make pizza once the base cools down.
Refried Beans- I prefer my homemade Refried Pinto beans. You can use canned beans also Vegans/Vegetarians do check that the beans do not contain any lard.
Instead of refried beans you can use any other Vegan Taco filling.
Enchilada Sauce- Instead of using the classic Pizza sauce, use the Enchilada Sauce. USe canned or home bought. Since in India we do not easily get Enchilada sauce, so I prepare it on my own whenever we are in mood to enjoy some Mexican food like the Enchiladas. You can even use it in various other dishes like making casseroles, use in pasta or mac n cheese. Will soon post my Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe.
If you cannot source enchilada sauce then use the store bought salsa or even pizza sauce works fine.
Cheese- Mexican Cheese Blend is the best to use in the recipe here. You can also use mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella or only Cheddar Cheese.
Onions, Tomatoes, Olives for pizza topping. You can also dd any other veggie of your choice.
Seasoning- Red Chilli Flakes, Mexican Seasoning or Taco Seasoning, add as per your taste.
Oli- To brush the taco.
How to make Mexican Pizza or Taco Pizza
Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C,
Cook the refried beans (from the can or homemade) for 2-3 mins in pan. You can add some chopped onions also. Let it cool. Refried beans should not be watery(homemade) as it will make the base of your pizza soggy.
Crip the tortillas on griddle or bake in oven/air fryer.
Once done, cool it a bit and then spread 2-3 tbsp refried beans or as required.
Cove the beans with another crisp tortilla.
Then spread the Enchilada sauce or any other sauce that you are using.
Top it with cheese, onions, tomatoes and olives, or any other topping of your choice.
Bake in preheated oven at 400F or 200C, for 5-10 mins or till cheese melts.
Serve with your favourite salsa/sour cream.
How long can we store the leftover Tortilla Pizza
I do not like to make ahead and keep the Mexican Pizza for long so won;t recommend that . Just like any other pizza it tastes best when served fresh and hot. But you can store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate, Reheat in oven/air fryer or griddle. It won't stay as crisp as the fresh tortilla pizza.
Restaurant Style Food
Tagging this Restaurant Style Taco Pizza post to my facebook foodies group Shh Cooking Secretly Challenge. This month's theme was suggested by Aruna who blogs at Vasu's veg. Kitchen. I made these crispy Taco Pizza. For the theme Aruna made Restaurant Paneer Do Pyaza and Sasmita used yogurt and red chilli powder that I gave her as secret ingredients and made this delicious Vegetable Dum Biryani
Other Mexican Recipes from the blog
Refreshing Mexican Drinks
Recipe Card for Taco Bell Style Mexican Pizza
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza (Veg.) | Vegetarian Taco Pizza
- 2 8" Tortillas Store bought or Homemade
- 1 can Refried Beans (use as required) or ½ Cup Homemade
- ½ cup Enchilada Sauce store bought or homemade
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar or Mexican blend) use as required
- ½ Cup Chopped Tomatoes, Onions. Olives for garnish
- Taco Seasoning or Mexican Seasoning as required
- Red Chilli Flakes
- Oil to brush tortilla
- Cook refried beans for 1-2 mins. OPTIONAL- You can add 1-2 tbsp of onions and adjust the seasoning.1 can Refried Beans (use as required)
- Preheat Oven at 350°F or 180°C
- Take 2 Tortillas, brush oil on one side of one tortilla. Bake for 5 mins at 350°F or 180°C or cook the tortillas on griddle till crisp. Check Notes.2 8" Tortillas
- Once done, take one tortilla spread a thin layer (about 2 tbsp) refried beans on it.
- Cover it with another tortilla.
- Spread about 2 tbsp Enchilada Sauce on the top side of the tortilla.½ cup Enchilada Sauce
- Add onions, tomatoes, olives, shredded cheese and seasoning as required.½ Cup Chopped Tomatoes, Onions. Olives for garnish, Taco Seasoning or Mexican Seasoning, 2 8" Tortillas
- Bake in oven till cheese melts (about 10-12 mins.).Shredded Cheese (Cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Once done take out of oven, cut into 4 pieces add more seasoning if required and serve with sour cream/salsa or have it as you like it.Taco Seasoning or Mexican Seasoning, Red Chilli Flakes
Do try this Taco Bell style Mexican Pizza for your loved ones. I am sure you all will love it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!