Dal Chawal Cutlets(baked), a delicious snack made with leftover rice and dal along with fresh or leftover vegetables.
About the Recipe
Dal Chawal(rice) is a comfort food for many of us. An everyday meal that is so quick and easy to make. Another comfort food that many of us like to have is khichdi a no-fuss dish that ones loves when fresh and hot. Many people avoid a day old rice or at night as per the ayurveda. Khichdi also tastes best when fresh but no one except a few like to eat it the next day.
What are Dal Chawal Cutlets
Try these no fry cutlets, with left over rice and dal or even khichdi. Add grated or finely chopped veggie like carrots, boiled potatoes, spinach or even fresh fenugreek leaves. You can also add any left over veggies like I used leftover aloo beans.
I bake these cutlets but these you can deep-fried or shallow-fried also.
These cutlets are very light as these are non-fried and an be enjoyed just like that with chutneys or ketchup and a cup of chai. Ideal for kids lunch boxes. Shape it in big patty and enjoy it as veggie burger. Kids will love this snack and it just disappears as soon as it is served.
Ingredients to make Leftover Dal Chawal Cutlets
You can use leftover rice(Steamed or Jeera), khichdi or pulao to make these. Also, you can use any leftover dal (arhar dal, moong dal). Use boiled potatoes and bread crumbs to bind the cutles. Spices like garam masala, red chilli powder or chaat masala can be added along with fresh herbs like cilantro or coriander.
How to use leftover rice and dal to make cutlets
To make these cutlets from leftover dal and rice, I used leftover Steamed rice, leftover Moong Lentils and leftover aloo beans.
As mentioned above, you can add any cooked veggies(mash properly) or grated carrots, spinach, corn or peas. Fresh coriander leaves enhance the flavours. I didn't use it here as I did not have any in my refrigerator.
Since I baked these cutlets I didn't need any cornflour/chickpea flour to bind these. I used only bread crumbs to give texture to cutlets.
If you want to fry the cutlets you can add 1-2 tbsp of cornflour as per the moisture in dal rice mixture for binding.
Tips to make perfect cutlets from leftover dal rice
When making cutlets with leftover dal rice , do not use very watery dal as the cutlets won't shape properly and you will have add lot of bread/breadcrumbs to shape it.
Cook dal with garlic tadka before mixing with rice, it adds more flavor to dal and also makes it thick to be mixed with rice.
Add cooled dal with rice, spices and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix everything very nicely, mashing cooked rice grains and veggies that are added.
Do not make the mixture very smooth keep it little coarse.
Shape into cutlets, brush with oil and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes from both sides.
Rajma and Spinach Cutlets, Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs, Aloo Poha cutlets, Hara Bhara Kebab, Raw Banana Cutlets, Raw Papaya Kebabs, Aloo Makhana aur Kaju cutlets, Cheesy Semolina Bites, Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms, Tandoori Gobhi/Cauliflower Tikka and many more.
Dal Chawal Cutlets
- 1 Cup Leftover rice/khichdi or pulao
- 1 Cup Leftover dal/lentils can leave dal when using khichdi
- 1/2 Cup Any leftover dry veggies optional
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves optional
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½-1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil for frying dal
- Oil to brush Cutlets
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds, when seeds crackle add garlic.
- Add dal and cook till it is thick. Cool dal.
- Meanwhile, add veggies, coriander powder, chaat masala ,fresh coriander, green chillies and mix well.
- Mash rice and potatoes(if adding) well.
- Add dal and breadcrumbs and mix up everything and form small cutlets. You can shape these as your prefer.
- Preheat oven at 400°F. Keep shaped cutlets in refrigerator till the time oven is preheating.
- Then bake cutlets at 400°F for 15-20 minutes. turning sides after 7-10 minutes. Bake till till golden brown and crisp. Brush more oil if you feel the cutlets are coming out dry.
To fry Cutlets
- Add more bread crumbs and 1-2 tbsp of cornstarch/cornflour.
- In a kadhai, heat oil for frying and fry cutlets in hot oil till golden brown.
To Shallow fry Cutlets
- In a non-stick pan, add 3-4 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil is medium hot, add 203 cutlets depending on the size of your pan, and shallow fry from both sides till golden brown and cutlets are crisp and cooked well.
Do make these easy and delicious cutlets from leftover dal rice or khichdi. You can also serve these crispy cutlets at your parties. These are so crispy and the same time melt in mouth, one will know that these are made from leftovers.
The pics came out quite dark, as I clicked the pics after sunset not enough light.. will update better pics when I make these again.
Do share your feedback with me and share the recipe with your friends and family.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!