Pink Sauce Pasta Recipe with penne sauce pasta in creamy marinara sauce.
Quick and easy pasta recipe for your family, delicious pasta smeared in creamy homemade marinara sauce. Hot weather or chilly winters... a bowl of Pasta is always comforting for the quick and fuss free meals. Kids love it and grown-ups too don't mind eating it!!
- About the recipe
- What is Pink Sauce Pasta
- Penne Pasta with Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Ingredients for Pink Sauce Pasta
- How to make Pink Sauce pasta without Pasta Sauce/Marinara Sauce
- Few Pointers on how to make Pink Sauce Pasta
- More Pasta Recipes from the blog that you may like to try
- More Lunchbox Recipes that you will love to make for your kids
- Recipe Card for Pink Sauce Pasta
- Pink Sauce Pasta/Penne Pasta in Creamy Marinara Sauce
About the recipe
Penne Pasta in creamy Marinara Sauce is an easy and quick dish that you can make in jiffy for a quick comforting dinner or for kids lunchboxes. This is a kid's friendly recipe.
My kids love this version of creamy tomato sauce pasta and my little calls it 'Pink Pasta'!! as the color is light red or towards pink with the addition of little cream in tomato sauce. I often pack this for their lunch in thermo flask, so that they can enjoy warm pasta for lunch!!
My hubby who doesn't like much of creamy and cheese based dishes, likes this version pasta as this is very light we can add cream and cheese as required.
What is Pink Sauce Pasta
Pink Sauce pasta is ideally made with equal parts of marinara sauce (red pasta sauce) and alfredo or béchamel sauce (white pasta sauce). You can also make it without either of the sauces.
Use Cream and tomato sauce/puree as substitutes for the white and red pasta sauce respectively. Check the below sections and recipe card.
Penne Pasta with Homemade Pasta Sauce
Penne Pasta is the cylindrical shape pasta and is very popular. Marinara Sauce is a traditional tomato sauce for pasta and pizza. Use store-bought sauce or make it at home(recipe for Homemade Marinara Sauce), either ways few easy steps and a delicious bowl of comfort is ready.
Penne Arrabiata is another version of this dish where a more spicy version of marinara sauce with chilli flakes is used to make the pasta dish.
Ingredients for Pink Sauce Pasta
Pasta- Popular choice is Penne Pasta. You can make it without pasta shapes too. Farfalle, Rottini is another pasta variety that you can use in the recipe.
Marinara Sauce/Pasta Sauce- Use homemade or store bought sauce. Use tomato puree/sauce incase you don't have marinara or pasta sauce.
Vegetable and Herbs- Bell Peppers (red/green), Garlic, Onion, Fresh Basil or chopped parsley.(pls see recipe card for details).
Dried Herbs- I love to use mixed Italian herbs in this pasta recipe. You can also use dried oregano.
Cream- Use dairy cream/cashew cream as it is easily and readily available at home. If you have a bottle of alfredo or béchamel sauce you can add that also instead of cream.
Butter/Oil- As per your preference.
How to make Pink Sauce pasta without Pasta Sauce/Marinara Sauce
You can make quick pink sauce at home before making pasta. Check the recipe card for steps
Few Pointers on how to make Pink Sauce Pasta
- Add pasta to the boiling water or cook as per the instructions on the pack.
- Cool Pasta till al-dente or little chewy. It should have a bite.
- Add pasta immediately to the sauce after draining water. If you're adding it in adding in salads or for use, run it in cold water, pasta won't be sticky.
- You can add more vegetables like broccoli, corn, mushroom, but these are optional.
- Calories watchers can add 1/4 cup milk(dairy or non-dairy) instead of cream.
More Pasta Recipes from the blog that you may like to try
More Lunchbox Recipes that you will love to make for your kids
Paneer Bhurji Sandwich, Palak Paneer Paratha, Carrot and Cucumber Mini Sandwich bites, Tawa Pulao, Chow Mein, Methi Dal Poori, Masala Idli, Fried Rice(Chinese Style), Carrot Cake Energy Balls, and many more.
Recipe Card for Pink Sauce Pasta
Pink Sauce Pasta/Penne Pasta in Creamy Marinara Sauce
- 1.5 Cups Penne Pasta
- ½-¾ Cup Marinara Sauce
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- ¼ Cup Finely chopped Bell Peppers optional
- ½-1 tsp Herbs like Basil or Oregano or any Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes or as per taste
- 1 tbsp Butter/Olive Oil
- 1-2 tbsp Cream dairy/cashew
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese without animal rennet
- Salt as per taste
- Basil Leaves for Garnish
- Boil Pasta in a pot of water as per packages instructions. Boil Al-dente, drain the water.1.5 Cups Penne Pasta
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat oil, add garlic and saute for a minute till the raw smell goes away.1-2 Garlic Cloves, 1 tbsp Butter/Olive Oil
- Add onions and saute till light pink. Add bell peppers and saute for another 1-2 minutes.¼ Cup Finely Chopped Onion, ¼ Cup Finely chopped Bell Peppers
- Add the marinara sauce, sugar, herbs, red chilli flakes and black pepper and cream and mix well.½-¾ Cup Marinara Sauce, ½-1 tsp Herbs like Basil or Oregano or any Italian Seasoning, ¼ tsp Black Pepper Powder, 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes, 1-2 tbsp Cream, ½ tsp Sugar
- Add cooked pasta and salt and mix. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.1-2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, Salt as per taste
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves or chopped parsley.Basil Leaves for Garnish
- Serve hot along with some garlic bread!!
How to make Pink Sauce Pasta without Pasta Sauce
- Puree 2-3 tomatoes and puree it Or, take ½-¾ cup tomato sauce (not tomato ketchup).
- In a pan, heat oil/butter, add minced or chopped garlic cloves. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion saute till it is light pink.
- Now add tomato puree/tomato sauce, 1 tsp Italian herbs or few fresh basil leaves(optional) , ½tsp sugar and cook till the sauce starts becoming thick.
- Add cream and cook again for few more seconds.
- Add boiled pasta and salt. Mix well.
- You can add more cream if you want more creamy pasta.
- Garnish with grated parmesan or any hard cheese and fresh basil leaves(if available).
- Serve hot with garlic bread/toast.
So do try my version of Penne Pasta in Marinara sauce. Use a gluten-free pasta those who are on gluten-free diets. I am sure you and your family is going to love it.. Make it for Potluck parties or get-togethers. Enjoy this with a bowl of soup or your favourite drink. Kids will bring the empty lunch boxes when you pack this for lunch. A light-hearty and a happy meal!!?
Linking the post to #97Blogging Marathon Day 2 Week 1 where the theme is Kid’s Delight – Lunch Box Dishes in 30 minutes
My first post for the series was.. Indian Masala Macaroni
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!