Crispy Salt and Pepper Baby Corn is a delicious, quick and easy appetizer or starter for parties and get togethers. Made with readily available ingredients in your pantry, a fuss free recipe that you will certainly enjoy as tea time snack during a rainy or chilly evening. It is one of the easiest appetizer that you can make whenever you have a pack of frozen or fresh baby corns.
About the Recipe
Crispy Salt and Pepper Baby Corn is made where baby corn is marinated in corn flour/cornstarch and then sauteed with simple garlic and pepper. Garnish it with spring onion greens or finely chopped coriander/cilantro.
It an under 30 mins. recipe which is Kids Friendly, Vegan and can be made Gluten-free.
Baby Corn and it's benefits
Baby corn or cornlets are the young corn that are harvested early. These are low in calories and contains no fat. Baby corns are very soft and are used in stir frys, salads, and soups. These contain a variety of nutrients like Vit. A (good for eyes), Vit. C, B , folates and thiamin.
Baby corns can be made part of weight loss diets. These are also beneficial in for eyesight and can be consumed during pregnancy as these contain folate which is very good for the fetus.
Recipes with Baby Corn
Palak Paneer Rice(Spinach Fried Rice)
Vegetables in Hot Garlic Sauce
Vegan Thai Red Curry
You can also add Baby corn in Veg. Pulao, Mix. vegetables curries or Crispy Vegetables Chinese Style.
Ingredients to make Salt and Pepper Baby Corn
Baby Corn- I like to use fresh baby corn which s available in markets almost all through the year. You can also use frozen baby corn. Rinse the frozen baby corn and then directly blanch it without thawing.
Cornflour/Cornstarch- To coat the baby corn pieces and to get a nice crispy coating.
Spices- Black Pepper, Salt, Oil. I have also added onion powder, garlic powder in the batter to marinate baby corn pieces. It adds lot of flavour in the corn pieces. If you do not have it or want it you can skip.
I do not like to add minced garlic or chopped garlic pieces in the batter as the garlic may get over cooked and taste a bitter/burnt in the corn pieces.
Herbs- Garlic and Spring Onion greens.
How make Salt and Pepper Baby Corn
To make this delicious starter Salt and Pepper Baby Corn
Do checkout the video in the Recipe card
Firstly wash nicely the baby corn pieces. Then cut each baby corn into bite sized pieces or as preferred.
Next marinate it in the cornflour/cornstarch and salt. You can add garlic powder and onion powder, it adds lot of flavour.
Next deep fry the pieces in hot oil The oil should be medium hot so that pieces get nice and crispy. Very hot oil burns the batter and pieces do not get crispy.
To check the temp. of oil whether it is hot enough to fry or not. Add a small drop of batter in the oil if it sizzles and rises up the oil is ready for frying.
Fry all the pieces till light golden brown.
Take another pan, add heat a tbsp of oil, add chopped/minced garlic and then add pepper. Add fried baby corn pieces.
Saute and nicely and adjust the salt as required.
Serve hot with ketchup or honey chilli garlic sauce.
More Deep Fried Snacks and Appetizers from the blog that you will love to try
Crispy Lotus Stem in Honey Chilli Sauce
Recipe Card for Salt and Pepper Baby Corn
Salt and Pepper Baby Corn
- Mixing Bowl
- Kadhai/Pan for Deep Frying
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- 200 g Baby Corn pack or 7 Oz. pack
- 1 tbsp Minced/Finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp Spring Onion Greens
- ¼ Cup Cornflour/Cornstarch
- ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1-2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder optional
- 1 tsp Onion Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Plant based Oil
- Oil for frying
- Wash nicely and cut baby corn into bite sized pieces or halves200 g Baby Corn pack
- In a mixing bowl, take cornstarch and all purpose flour, pinch of black pepper powder, salt and sriracha/chilli garlic sauce.¼ Cup Cornflour/Cornstarch, ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour/Maida, 1-2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1 tsp Onion Powder, 1 tbsp Sriracha, Salt
- Add about ¼ Cup water and make a smooth batter. No lumps should be present.
- Heat oil in kadhai or heavy bottomed pan.Oil for frying
- Dip the baby corn pieces in it and deep fry in hot oil till light golden brown.
- Once done, take out the pieces on a plate lined with paper tissues or kitchen towel, to soak extra oil.
- In another pan, heat oil in a pan.
- Add minced/chopped garlic and saute for a minute. Do not burn garlic. You can also add cubed onion and colored peppers.1 tbsp Plant based Oil, 1 tbsp Minced/Finely chopped garlic
- Add black pepper powder and fried baby corn and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.2 tbsp Spring Onion Greens
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or honey chilli sauce.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
Such a fabulous recipe for a quick, yummy, satisfying snack or starter. I think I have a tin of baby corn in my larder. I'll make this on Sunday to enjoy the cricket match.
Hey.. do try it, it is a wonderful snack for game days or fri day movie nights.. thanks for stopping by!!
I love baby corn but not my family, but I am sure If I serve them this way they would love it. I would give this a try. thanks for the share Swaty
Do try Renu, kids will surely love it. thanks for stopping by!!