Eggless Lemon Blueberry Cake with Whole Wheat flour
The best soft, moist Lemon Blueberry cake bursting with Lemon/citrus flavours and fresh juicy blueberries with Whole Wheat Flour and yogurt. An easy quick refreshing Eggless Tea Cake bursting with fruity flavours of Lemon and Blueberry.
- About the Recipe
- More Reasons to make this delicious Lemon and Blueberry Cake
- Ingredients to make Lemon Blueberry Cake
- How to make Eggless Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Tips to make perfect Eggless Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Frequently asked questions
- Recipes with Blueberries from the blog
- Check out these Healthy Eggless Tea Cakes and Muffins from the blog
- Recipe Card
About the Recipe
A Tea Cake, just perfect for summers!! Blueberry Lemon cake or Lemon Blueberry cake whether you may call it. Pairs so well with your tea/coffee or milkshakes/hot chocolate for kids. The cake is moist and soft with a beautiful crumb and is made with simple ingredients from your pantry.
This Eggless Blueberry Lemon Cake with yogurt is just perfect for those who avoid eggs in their diet. A cake perfect for your family loaded with health friendly ingredients.
More Reasons to make this delicious Lemon and Blueberry Cake
- It is perfect for the summer time with refreshing lemon and blueberries.
- The cake is fluffy, has a wonderful vanilla lemon flavour.
- You can call this a healthy cake as most of the ingredients are health friendly. Blueberries, Whole Wheat Flour, Lemon, Raw cane sugar (better than white sugar), and olive oil.
- All the ingredients are available in your pantry. No separate shopping list.
- You know your ingredients and can control the amount of sugar and avoid maida/apf. Bakery cakes are loaded with processed sugar and flour.
- Can be served as dessert or snack or pack for kids lunch boxes.
Ingredients to make Lemon Blueberry Cake
Flour- I have used Whole Wheat Flour(APF), as I avoid or Maida/All purpose flour(APF) in baking. You can also use APF or a combination of both. When using only APF the amount of liquid for binding the cake will be a bit less.
Blueberries- Fresh juicy berries are best to use in the recipe. But, you can. use frozen berries also. Check the FAQ's section on How to add frozen blueberries in the cake batter.
Fresh Lemons- For Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest.
Yogurt- Makes the cake soft and moist and also acts as an egg replacer.
Sugar- I have used raw cane sugar. You can use castor sugar also. Adding other raw sugars like Coconut Palm Sugar, Jaggery powder will affect the color and texture.
Fat- Add soft butter or olive oil. Skip salt from the recipe when using salted butter.
Leavening Agents- Baking soda, Baking Powder. Make sure these are not old/expired.
Vanilla Essence and Salt bring out the flavours.
Milk- For binding the batter.
Optional- I have used whey left after making Paneer(Indian cottage Cheese). You can use same amount of milk. Recipe for Homemade Paneer.
Cornflour- Whole wheat cakes may turn out a bit dense as compared to the APF cakes. You can replace 2 tbsp of WWF with cornflour. It give adds light texture to the dense cake.
How to make Eggless Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Preheat the oven at 350F or 180C.
- In a bowl, rub lemon zest with sugar. It imparts a wonderful uniform lemon flavour to cake.
- Toss and coat blueberries in flour.
- Now sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Take a mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, yogurt and vanilla essence. Beat till sugar dissolves and the mixture is airy.
- Lightly fold the batter. Add milk/paneer whey as required. The consistency of batter should be a bit thin than muffin batter.
- Fold in blueberries.
Tips to make perfect Eggless Blueberry Lemon Cake
- All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Choose firm blueberries not soft one.
- Do not beat the batter vigorously after adding flour. It makes the cake dense.
- Sift the flour to make it airy.
- Rub lemon zest with sugar nicely.
Frequently asked questions
Yes we can use frozen blueberries. Do not thaw the berries. Coat them in flour. Take 1-2 tsp four from the measured flour and then toss. Do not add more flour in the recipe.
The cake stays fresh for 4-5 days when refrigerated properly. Wrap it in cling film or keep in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for a couple of day. Tightly double wrap it a cling film and then freeze. You can also cut slices and then freeze individual slices wrapped in cling film. Thaw and consume as and when required.
Yes you can make muffins with this cake batter. It will give you around 12 medium sized muffins. Bake at the same temperature for about 25-30 mins. For 6 muffins you can halve the batter and use medium sized muffin tray or cups.
I baked muffins in air fryer, as I have a small capacity air fryer. You can halve the batter and bake in medium sized muffins. Prefer using silicone muffins in airfryer. check the details in recipe card.
Recipes with Blueberries from the blog
Blueberries are rich in antioxidants. You can add these berries to salads, desserts, muffins like these Double Berry Breakfast Muffins, Chocolate Pudding or this refreshing fruit salad .
Try this Watermelon and berry Smoothie to beat the summer heat.
Check out these Healthy Eggless Tea Cakes and Muffins from the blog
Chai spiced Whole Wheat Apple Chia Cake, Eggless Strawberry Cake, Semolina and Coconut Tea Cake, Eggless Banana Bread, Eggless Fruit Cake(Christmas Special), Light Fruitcake, Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake, Gluten-free and Vegan Fruit Cake, Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake, Ragi Banana Chocolate Cake, Jowar Cake, Zucchini Carrot Chocolate Bread, Mango Cardamom Cupcakes , Date and Walnut Muffins, Eggless Pumpkin Muffins
Eggless Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Oven/OTG/Convection Microwave Oven
- Mixing Bowl
- Balloon Whisk
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour or APF
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil or soft butter
- 1 Cup Thick Yogurt
- ½ Cup Milk or Paneer Whey
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Lemon (Juice + Zest)
- ¼ tsp Salt when using unsalted butter/oil
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F.
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Toss and coat blueberries in 1-2 tsp flour and keep aside.1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- Take sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and rub it nicely.1 Cup Sugar, 1 Lemon
- In another mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, yogurt, vanilla essence and beat till sugar dissolves and the mixture in light and fluffy.¼ Cup Olive Oil, 1 Cup Thick Yogurt, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Now add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Sift and add to the yogurt mixture.2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour, 1 tsp Baking Powder, ¼ tsp Baking Soda, ¼ tsp Salt
- Fold lightly, add liquid (milk/paneer whey as required).½ Cup Milk
- Then finally fold in blueberries.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan. Tap it lightly on the the surface.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C or 350°F for 45-50 mins.
- When done, insert a toothpick or skewer to check for any cooked batter.
- Leave pan for 10 mins. and then carefully demould the cake let it cool completely on wire rack.
- When it is completely cool, cut and enjoy.
Air Fryer Lemon Blueberry Muffins(to make 6 muffins)
- Halve the recipe ingredients to make 6 muffins or a small 6"cake.
- Follow the same steps for making the batter.
- Preheat your air fryer, then air fry/bake at 160°C or 375°F for 15 mins. Check the muffins after 10 mins.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
Leave a Reply