Last Updated on
Paitham Paruppu Payasam or Moong Dal Kheer is delicious dessert from the southern Part of India.
Made with Yellow Split Moong Beans In milk/coconut milk, this dessert is served on special occasions and festivals and as Prasad(offering for God) in temples.
I have never cooked Moong Dal Kheer, this was something I was introduced by one of our neighbour in Mumbai during a special ceremony at their place. We love Moong Dal Halwa and I have cooked it a few times on festivals. Moong Dal Kheer was something I wanted to try but just kept postponing it don’t know why. Yesterday on the auspicious occasion of Baisakhi I made this using the recipe of my fellow blogger Kalyani Sri.
Kalyani Sri who blogs at Sizzling Taste Buds was paired with me for this month’s Recipe Swap Challenge, where we had to choose a regional dish from each other’s blog and cook it. Kalyani has an amazing collection of recipes from South India. Do check her wonderful blog, with so many healthy recipes especially for kids. While browsing through her recipe collection I came across this Moong Dal Kheer. I bookmarked the recipe immediately, and made it for dessert.
While reading about this recipe online I found out that one version is made with coconut milk also. But I preferred it making with milk.
I never thought making this will be so easy. Everyone in the family loved this. I chilled this kheer and then served. The kheer is so perfect for the summers too,and it is very light on stomach also.
To make this Kheer, Moong Dal is first roasted in ghee, till it gives the aroma.I t is then cooked in milk. You can cook it in open pan or pressure cooker. In open pan it take time so to save time you can cook it in pressure cooker.
I made this kheer in Instant pot on pressure cook mode and it was ready within 15 minutes .
Let’s see how I made this delicious Moong Dal Kheer /Paitham Paruppu Payasam
Moong Dal Kheer/ Paitham Paruppu Payasam
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Elaichi Powder
- 4-5 Saffron Strands
- A pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Cup Cashew Nuts, Almonds and Raisins
- Clean and dry the inner pot of Instant Pot.
- Swtich on the SAUTE Mode set timer for 5 minutes.
- Add moong lentils in it and saute till golden brown and they give an aroma.
- Add milk to give a nice stir and cover and cook on PRESSURE COOK Mode(High) for 10 minutes .
- Once the time goes off, wait for 2-4 minutes and then release the pressure with quick pressure release and lid.
- Mash the kheer nicely and mix well.
- Meanwhile in a bowl take 1/2 cup water and add jaggery to it.
- Cook jaggery syrup till all the jaggery melts and syrup starts getting thick.
- Add it to moong dal kheer and mix nicely. add raisins and half of cashews.
- Switch on the SAUTE mode on again, for 5 minutes on MEDIUM and cook kheer till it starts to thicken.
- Garnish with more cashews and almonds.
You can make this Kheer in pressure cooker too. Roast Dal in a pan or cooker with ghee, add milk, pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles. Make jaggery syrup and add to dal, once the dal is cooked. Cook kheer till it thickens.
Do try this Moong Dal Kheer recipe. We loved this chilled kheer. Hope you too will love this.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by!!