Matar Mushroom Masala, peas(matar) and mushrooms cooked in bhuna masala.
Matar Mushroom Masala is a North Indian dish that tastes best with fresh seasonal green peas, but you can make it with frozen peas also, as the fresh ones are not available throughout the year. A curry without butter or cream and yet so delcious rich and creamy!!
To make this curry I have used Bhuna Masala for gravy base. Bhuna masala is a spicy onion and tomato gravy that forms the base of many Indian curries and gravies like Rajma Masala, Chole Masala and many more. Making any dish gets a lot easier if you have bhuna masala in refrigerator. Check out the detailed post here on Bhuna Masala(updating soon).
Mushrooms are rich in proteins and minerals. Though these are white in color but these are an excellent source of antioxidants. Low in calories and almost negligible fat value makes these a must include in diet for weight watchers and people on low cholesterol and sugar diets.
Peas come under legume category and are rich source of proteins and have high fibre content.. These are also a great source of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
Ingredients for Matar Mushroom Masala..
Button Mushroom, Fresh/Frozen Peas and Bhuna Masala.
You can also use store bought bhuna masala , but I prefer using my homemade masala.
If you are allergic to mushrooms, substitute with Tofu.
How to cook Matar Mushroom Masala..
The curry can be made in open pot and also on stove-top pressure cooker and Instant Pot. This post I am covering the Instant Pot version.
It just takes a few minutes to make this delcious curry in Instant Pot when you have bhuna masala ready. Open pot method takes some time as peas may take a little long to cook.
For Stove-top Pressure cooker version, make curry with bhuna masala and spices, add peas and mushrooms and cover with lid and cook till 2 whistles. Add very little water around 1/4 as mushrooms leaves water when cooked.
Let’s see how I make Matar Mushroom Masala..
Matar Mushroom Masala
- 1 Cup Mushroom
- ¾ Cup Peas(Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 1/2 Cup Bhuna Masala
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon Stick(small)
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3-4 Cloves
- 3-4 Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Mustrad Oil
- Wash Mushrooms very nicely, get rid of all the dirt.
- Cut mushrooms in quaters or halves.
- When using frozen bhuna masala, thaw it before using it.
Instant Pot method
- Swtich on the Instant Pot on SAUTE MODE, set timer for 5 mins.
- When the display shows hot, add mustard oil( you can use any other oil like olive oil or peanut oil).
- Add cumin seeds and whole spices. Saute for few seconds.
- Add bhuna masala and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala. Cook masala for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peas and mix well with masala. Add salt. Adjust the consistency of curry, add water as required. Mushrooms leave water when cooked so add water carefully.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode, close the lid and set the PRESSURE COOK mode on for 3 mins on HIGH.
- Once the timer goes off, release the pressure with QRP(Quick Release Pressure), after 3-4 minutes.
- Check the consistency of gravy, if it is watery , cook the curry on SAUTE Mode for another 2-3 minutes , add roasted kasuri methi(dry fenugreek leaves).
- Serve hot with bread of your choice or steamed rice or jeera rice.
Matar Mushroom Masala can also be relished with with steamed rice or jeera. A quick and easy option for your everyday meals or for parties. I am sure you and your loved ones will love this masala curry as much as my family loves it.
Linking to Blogging Marathon#101 for the month of June for Week 2 Day 2 where the theme for first week is Creamy Gravies.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by!!