Doodhi Muthiya/Dudhi Na Muthiya recipe | Doodhi Muthiya Recipe(Instant Pot Recipe included)
Doodhi Muthiya/Dudhi Na Muthiya, a steamed savory snack from Gujarati Cuisine.It is a vegan-friendly steamed dumplings.
Muthiya word comes from the way it is made, which means ‘fist’. The snack is made with dough binded in form of small dumplings or into croquette shaped logs and then steamed. The logs are then cut into small bites sized pieces and then fried or tempered in mustard seeds and curry leaves tempering.
It is a very popular snack from the state of Gujarat but now gaining popularity in other states too. Being a North Indian, I never had Muthiya, it was only when I went to Mumbai after my marriage there I saw it selling in one of the sweet shop. Out of curiosity I asked the owner that if I can taste it and then bought a few pieces.I loved the taste and felt it like a spices version of Rajasthani Gatte.
Later, I saw the recipe in one of Tarla Dalal’s book, followed it and after a few failures got the recipe correct. It is a wonderful tea time snack and can be served your guests. Pair it with some spicy chutney, a cup of hot spiced ginger tea for a filling and satisfying delicious snack treat.
This steamed snack can be considered as a healthy as all the ingredients used here are nutritious and very less oil is used in preparing it. There are version of deep fried Muthiya but I like this steamed and then lightly sauteed version more.
Making Muthiya for the blog post was in my mind since a long time but somehow the post got delayed. When this Month’s theme for my Facebook group SHH Cooking Secretly was announced by , Anu Kollon who blogs at Entethattukada suggested that we make steamed dishes for the Challenge, I decided to make Doodhi Muthiya. Anu made these Kerela Style Steamed Rice Cakes. Check out her blog for a lot of delicious and healthy recipes.
My partner for this month’s Challenge was Renu who made these healthy Ragi Idli using Whole Ragi Seeds. Do visit Renu’s blog for Cook with Renu for a lot of healthy bakes and recipes from Indian and International cooking.
Renu gave me two ingredients that I had to use in my recipe, Oats Flour and Ajwain/Caraway Seeds.. and here I am with my delicious Muhtiya with goodness of Doodhi/Lauki and Methi Leaves.
Ingredients for Doodhi Muthiya/Dudhi Muthiya
There are numerous versions of Muthiya. You can use different flours Whole Wheat flour, Besan/Chickpea Flour, Jower Flour, Semolina to make Muthiya. Nowadays Ragi Flour and Oats flour can also be added to the ingredient list.
For the recipe here, I have used a combination of Besan and Oats Flour, keeping it gluten free. But you cna also use Whole Wheat Flour along with Semolina or any combination of the above flour.
Vegetables– You can add lauki(bottle gourd), cabbage, carrots, spinach, zucchini or methi/fenugreek leaves.I have added Lauki and Methi leaves. Lauki/Bottle Gourd can be replaced with zucchini or any of the above mentioned veggies.
Please Note-Grate the veggies finely or finely chop the leafy greens for a nice texture.
Spices– Not much of the spices go into this steamed dish. The main flavour of this dish comes from Sesame Seeds, Coconut and Curry leaves.
Other Ingredients– Curd/Yogurt adds softness to the dish. For vegan version use plant based curd.
Checkout the recipe card for detailed list of ingredients used.
How to make Doodhi Muthiya
(Video to be uploaded soon)
As mentioned Muthiya is a steamed snack, that is then saute with curry leaves or deep fried to add in curries.
Vegetables should be grated or leafy greens should be finely chopped.
Do not add any water while kneading the dough. Water from the veggies is sufficient enough to knead.
If Bottle Gourd/Veggies have too much water then squeeze it before adding to flours. Then use that water to knead if required.
Mix all the ingredients together, knead to a soft dough, then make logs , steam, cool, cut and fry.
For detailed steps in recipe card.
Can we make Muthiya in Instant Pot
Yes, we can very easily make this steamed snack in Instant Pot also on Steam Mode( I made in Instant Pot Ultra model).
The initial process of mixing the ingredients remains the same. It takes about the same time to steam in Instant Pot as on stove top steamer. For detailed process check the recipe card.
Recipe Card for Doodhi Muthiya(Instant Pot Method included)
Doodhi Muthiya/Dudhi Muthiya(Instant Pot Method included)
- Steamer/Instant Pot
- 2 Cups Grated Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Doodhi
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Methi Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Besan
- 1/2 Cup Oats Flour
- 1/4 Cup Plain Yogurt/Curd
- Small Fresh Ginger(1")
- 2-3 Green Chillies or as preferred
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as preferred
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- a pinch Asafeotida/Hing
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/Rai
- 1-2 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut I used frozen
- Chopped Coriander for Garnish
- Make a coarse paste of ginger and green chilies.
- In a bowl add both the flours, baking soda, salt red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt, caraway seeds/ajwain, asafeotida/hing(if using). Mix all.
- Add ginger green chilli paste, grated bottle gourd/lauki, methi leaves, yogurt.
- Mix everything nicely with hands, Make a soft dough.
- If dough is sticky, apply some oil to hands and shape into logs/cylinders as shown, or into small bite sized dumplings, as preferred.
Stove Top Steamer Method
- Add some water to the steamer pot, arrange the logs on lightly oiled plates.
- Place on the steamer, cover and cook for about 10-12 mins.
- After, 10 mins, insert a toothpick to check, if it comes clean muthiya are cooked.
- Switch off the gas and take out on a dish or plate and let it cool completely.
- Cut in small 1" cubes/pieces.
Instant Pot Method(Instant Pot Ultra)
- Plug-in the Instant Pot.
- Add water (about 2-3 cups) in inner pot.
- Set the Saute Mode on for 10 mins. to boil water.
- Once the water starts to boil, place the stand and the container.
- Arrange Muthiya logs/dumplings in a container(Instant Pot Friendly), , cancel the SAUTE MODE.
- Set the STEAM Mode on for 12 mins.
- Once the timer goes off, do a QRP(Quick Pressure Release).Open the lid.
- Take out the container, and let it cool completely.
- Cut into 1" pieces/cubes.
- In a pan/kadhai, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, once the seeds crackle, add curry leaves.
- Add sesame seeds, keep the flame to low as seeds can burn and leave a bitter taste.
- Add muthiya pieces mix lightly to coat with seeds and saute for a 2-3 mins.
- Add grated coconut and lightly mix again.
- Saute again for 1-2 mins., till muthiya starts turning light brown.
- Take out out in serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander/cilantro leaves and serve with chutney of choice.
Do make this wonderful and healthy snack that is loaded with all the healthy ingredients. Snack Time, Tea time or get together with friends!! Serve with chutneys of your choice, we love to have it with spicy Garlic Chutney.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!
Shop for Related Products