Vegetable Biryani, a flavorful rice dish with vegetables in aromatic Indian spices ,treat for vegetarians.Now cook your favourite Vegetable Biryani in Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker within 30 minutes.
The traditional way of making biryani is an elaborate process, remember my post Lucknowi Vegetable Dum Biryani. There I have explained the detailed process of preparing Biryani that tastes exactly like the one you get in restaurants. Now with the convenience of Instant Pot you can skip all the time-consuming steps and make the flavourful dish just like the way you get in restaurants and that too within 30 minutes.
I like to call this Vegetable Biryani Pulao. Biryani Pulao?? Yes as I make this Vegetable Biryani in Instant Pot just like the way we cook Pulao. As we all know there is a difference between Biryani and Pulao, for those who do not know, here are few pointers that may help..
Biryani Vs Pulao..
Biryani is rich and more robust in flavours of spices and is a time-consuming elaborate process whereas cooking Pulao does not take that long.
Pulao is a one pot meal where rice is cooked with vegetables/meat in a single pot The vegetables/eat are cooked first then raw and pre-soaked rice is added,with predetermined quantity of water and cooked with the absorption process.
In Biryani, vegetables/meat are cooked separately and rice is parboiled and then layered and cooked in Dum style in a sealed vessel. No water is added and the ingredients are cooked in the steam. Only saffron infused milk is added for the color and aroma. Essence like Rose, Kewra are also added as required and preferences.
Dum style of cooking is where the dish is cooked in a sealed vessel. It is known to be one of the best ways of cooking as the nutrients are not lost due to over-cooking of the ingredients. Though it is a time-consuming process
Compared to Biryani, Pulao is a simple dish in terms of the time consumed in cooking and spices. It may or may not have the dried nuts and fruits and it can be made even with a single vegetable like Peas Pulao. Biryani is rich in spices and has strong flavours as per the region and the variations there.
Coming back to this Vegetable Biryani Pulao, it has all the strong subtle flavours of Biryani, when you will serve it your guests no one will know that this Biryani is prepared just like Pulao.
Let's see how I make this Vegetable and what are the ingredients that go in making this Biryani Pulao..
Use any Vegetable of your choice like carrots, peas, corn, mushrooms, cauliflower and finely sliced onions . Use fresh or frozen vegetable as per availability. I also add paneer as kids love it.Ginger and Garlic with Green chillies.
I do not use Biryani Masala, you can use homemade or store-bought. I use a mix of Garam Masala, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder and Whole spices like Cardamoms, Bay Leaves, Cloves, Black Peppercorns, Cinnamon and Star Anise and saffron for making saffron infused milk.
Other main Ingredients..
Milk for saffron infused milk, Curd/yogurt,and a good quality Basmati Rice.Fresh Mint and Coriander/Cilantro leaves.
To make a good quality Pulao/Biryani one should not shy from using ghee. Though many hesitate adding ghee for everyday cooking, but trust me it enhances the flavour and texture of the dish.
An age-old test that my Naani (grandmother) told us about a good quality Pulao or Biryani is, if you drop a handful if cooked biryani or Pulao on floor, the grains should fall on the floor like pearls, no two grains sticking to each other.
Steps for making Biryani in Instant Pot..
Start with washing and soaking the rice. Soak rice for at least 30 min to 1 hr.
If using fresh vegetables cut into desired shape and size. Cut vegetable pieces of the same size for the uniform cooking.
Switch on the Instant Pot, to sauté mode on high, set the timer for 10 minutes.
When the display shows 'HOT' add ghee/oil in the inner pot, add the whole spices and cumin seeds. Then add the finely sliced onions, and sauté onion still these start turning brown.
Cancel the 'SAUTE' mode
Take out half of onions and keep aside for later use. Add some water(about 2-3 tbsp) to clean the bottom of inner pot as onions stick to it while frying. Cleaning the bottom is an important step, the rice and masala may get stick, which can burn the food at the bottom. Instant Pot gives the BURN signal whenever any food at the bottom burns. To avoid this sauté the masala at the Medium setting. Also, if any masala sticks to the bottom, add some water(3-4 tbsp) and clean the pot.
Add ginger-garlic paste, dry spices and curd. I mix dry spices in curd, and then add to the inner pot. Stir curd well after adding.
Next add vegetables and paneer and mix well with the curd onion mixture. Cancel the SAUTE Mode.
Add rice and salt and mix lightly.
Add water around 1/2 cup and saffron infused milk and roughly torn mint and coriander leaves.
Seal the lid of the Instant Pot, set the PRESSURE COOK Mode to 5 minutes on HIGH, once the timer goes off, wait for 3 minutes, then do the Quick Pressure Release, open the lid, and check for the doneness of rice. Fluff lightly with spoon or fork.
Add the fried onions and garnish with more fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with raita of your choice.
Please Note..The cooking time for Biryani is 5 mins excluding the time Instant Pot takes to come to pressure. It varies from 5-6 minutes.
Vegetable Biryani in Instant Pot
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetables(Fresh or Frozen)
- 1/2 Cup Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt/Curd
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Finely Sliced Onions
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 1" Ginger piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1/2 Cup Mint and Coriander
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamom Stick(small)
- 4-5 Black Pepper
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 8-10 Saffron Strands for Saffron Infused Milk
Dry Spice Powder
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or as required)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as required
- Wash and soak rice. Soak rice for at least 30 min. Add saffron strands in milk and keep it aside.
- If using fresh vegetables cut into desired shape and size. Cut vegetable pieces of the same size for the uniform cooking. Cut Paneer into cubes.
- Make paste of ginger garlic and chillies. I did not use green chilli this time. Use chillies as per your spice level.
- Switch on the Instant Pot, to SAUTE mode on HIGH set the timer for 10 minutes.When the display shows 'HOT' add ghee in the inner pot, add the whole spices and cumin seeds. Then add the finely sliced onions, and saute onion still these start turning brown.
- Cancel the 'SAUTE' mode.Take out half of onions and keep aside for later use. Add some water(about 2-3 tbsp) to clean the bottom of inner pot as onions stick to it while frying.
- Mix dry spices in curd, and then add to the inner pot. Stir curd well after adding to onions.
- Next add vegetables and paneer and mix well with the curd onion mixture. Cancel the SAUTE Mode.
- Add rice and salt and mix lightly. Add water around 1/2 cup and saffron infused milk. Add roughly torn mint and coriander leaves.
- Seal the lid of the Instant Pot, set the PRESSURE COOK Mode to 5 minutes on HIGH.
- Once the timer goes off, wait for 3 minutes, then do the Quick Pressure Release, open the lid, and check for the doneness of rice. Fluff lightly with spoon or fork.
- Add the fried onions and garnish with more fresh coriander leaves and close for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with raita of your choice.
- Use any Plant-based Milk instead of Dairy milk, use vegan unsweetened curd/yogurt.
- USe oil instead of ghee and substitute Tofu with Paneer.
Do make this Instant Pot Biryani Pulao for the weekend brunch or when guests come.Treat them to this flavourful rice preparation that is wholesome, filling and so flavourful.
Give your feedback how you liked and if you have any queries do write to me.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
This is 16th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April '19.
Day 22. V. Vegetable Biryani in Instant Pot
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
Day 12. L.. Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani
Day 13. M.. Mixed Veg Pulao
Day 14. N.. No-Onion No-Garlic Kadhai Paneer Pulao
Day 15. O.. Oats and Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 16. P.. Pearl Pulao
Day 17. Q..Quinoa Pulao
Day 18. R.. Rajasthani Kabuli(Jodhpuri Pulao)
Day 19. S.. Spicy Chilli Garlic and Bell Pepper Rice
Day 20. T.. Tomato Corn and Basil Pulao