Tomato and Corn Rice Basil, a flavourful twist on your favourite Spicy Tomato Rice.
Tomato Rice is a very popular South Indian rice preparation, where pre-cooked rice is mixed and further cooked for few minutes with pureed tomatoes and vegetables in Indian spices. It is very popular rice preparation and is enjoyed with raita and papadas. Many use precooked rice to make Tomato Rice and many others make it in pressure cooker just like the vegetable pulao. The main flavour of Tomato rice comes from the curry leaves, that also enhances the aroma of the dish. I tweaked the recipe (with pre-cooked rice) a little and added basil leaves for the flavour.
I came across the recipe of Tomato Basil Rice for first time while searching the how to use basil in food few years back. There are lot of online recipes for and each version is different from the other. I have adapted the recipe as per my family’s preference. I usually cook it just like the way I cook the traditional Tomato Rice with curry leaves. My kids like this Basil flavoured version of tomato rice. I usually add corn, bell peppers(capsicum) and mushrooms or paneer in it. For today’s post I have added only corn and green bell pepper/capsicum. You can add any other vegetables like peas, cabbage or carrots as your choice. the spice level of the rice also can be adjusted. I keep the spice level to medium coz of my 7 yr old, my teenager loves to add few chilli flakes to it to add some spicy kick to rice.
We like to have it with Pineapple raita or it’s good just on it’s own also. A quick meal option and a flavourful to finish the left over rice.
How to make Tomato Corn Rice rich in Basil flavours
To make this, I have used pre-cooked rice added frozen corn, green bell peppers(capsicum).
First step is to make onion tomato masala. Puree tomatoes with ginger and green chilli. Saute finely chopped onions with finely chopped green add tomato puree. You can also add 1-2 crushed garlic cloves.
- If you are using pre-cooked rice to make Tomato Corn Basil Rice, then make sure the rice should not be moist. Keep rice in refrigerator for few hours before preparing Tomato rice. This way the Tomato Rice won’t get mushy.
- Basil is a very delicate herb, so use it carefully. Fresh Basil Leaves turn black, when added to any dish while cooking . So to get the fresh basil flavour I added it in the end after mixing rice with tomato corn masala .
- Also, to get real basil flavour in rice that is neither too strong or goes un-noticeable in the dish, I added 1/2 tsp of dried basil leaves with tomato puree.
Let’s see how I make this Tomato Rice with Basil
Tomato Corn Pulao with Basil
- 2 Cups Pre-cooked Rice
- 3 Tomatoes(medium)
- 1/2" Ginger Piece
- 1-2 Green Chilli
- 1 Onion(medium)
- 1/2 Cup Corn
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp Dried Basil Leaves
- 5-6 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2-1 tsp Red Chilli flakes or as required
- Salt as per taste
- Puree tomatoes. green chilli and ginger. Finely Chop onion.
- In a pan or kadhai heat oil. Add finely chopped onions and saute till light pink add green capsicum and saute for another minute.Keep it crunchy.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add corn, dried basil leaves and red chilli flakes and salt. Mix well.
- Add pre-cooked rice and mix with light hands. Add fresh basil leaves on the top and cover the pan. Switch off the gas, and keep it covered for 5- minutes, till the aroma of fresh basil leaves infuses in rice.
- Serve with raita of your choice.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
This is 16th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April’19.
Day 20. T.. Tomato Corn and Basil Pulao
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
Day 12. L.. Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani
Day 13. M.. Mixed Veg Pulao
Day 14. N.. No-Onion No-Garlic Kadhai Paneer Pulao
Day 15. O.. Oats and Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 16. P.. Pearl Pulao
Day 17. Q..Quinoa Pulao
Day 18. R.. Rajasthani Kabuli(Jodhpuri Pulao)
Day 18. S.. Spicy Chilli Garlic and Bell Pepper Rice