Vermicelli Pulao is a one pot nutritious meal, with the goodness of made with the vermicelli noodles(Sevai/Jave) and mixed vegetables.
A light and nutritious meal that can be packed in lunch boxes(stays fresh for at least 4-5 hrs in Thermos Flask), weekend breakfast or for quick dinner.
Vermicelli are cooked in both sweet and savoury forms and there are lot of variations in both the ways. I have shared a savoury vermicelli recipe of "Namkeen Jave" that is quick an easy recipe and a family favourite. Vermicelli Pulao is a variation of this recipe, where you can add more vegetables to enhance the nutrient value.
I make this version mainly for kids school lunchbox, or for quick dinner option. It is light on stomach and filling. The spice level in pulao can be adjusted as per your taste. I do not make it very spicy and keep the spice level to medium so the kids specially my 7 yr old can have it conveniently a school.
How to make Vermicelli Pulao..
Everyone one has their own version of making this one pot meal. Be it Namkeen Jave or Meethe Jave(Vermicelli Pudding in Milk), I always roast sevai before cooking, this enhances the flavour of any vermicelli dish.
I like to add vegetables like peas, carrots, sweet corn and potatoes. You can use the fresh or frozen vegetables.
One thing the really adds flavour to savoury vermicelli dishes is Desi Ghee. I do not shy away from using Desi Ghee, it really enhances the flavour of dishes and is good for kids and even grown ups when had in moderation. Eating healthy and doing workouts of any kind like walking, yoga, swimming must be a part of your daily routine. To stay healthy, working out is also very important apart from having a healthy and nutritious meal.
To avoid the sticky Pulao, one should add water very carefully while cooking it, and also the flame should be kept on medium. Too high flame will dry up the water very quickly and leaves uncooked vermicelli. Too low heat will make it very sticky.
Let's see how I make this Light and nutritious Vermicelli Pulao
- 2 Cups Vermicelli
- 1 Onion(medium)
- 1 Cup Mixed vegetables (carrots, pea, corn, potatoes)
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala I do not add
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee/Good Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- In an non stick pan, dry roast vermicelli till light brown. when done, take out in a plate and keep aside to cool.
- Finely chop onions and tomato. If adding potato, cut potato in small and thin pieces else these take time to cook or will be raw.
- In another pan or same pan, add ghee in pan, when the ghee is warm enough add cumin seeds/jeera.
- Once the seeds crackle, add finely chopped onions. When onions turn light pink, add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till tomatoes start turning soft. Add vegetables and saute for a minute. Add the spices and salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 Cup water, cover and cook the vegetables for a 2-3 minutes.
- Once the veggies are soft, add the roasted vermicelli mix well and add another 1/2 Cup water.
- Cover and cook on medium flame, till water dries up and vermicelli. Do not over mix vermicelli as these will get sticky and mushy. Also, once done, cover and keep off flame for 3-4 minutes.
- fluff and serve with ketchup or chutney or just like that.
Do try this Vermicelli Pulao my way. A light and nutritious breakfast or quick and easy dinner option.
Give your feedback how you liked and if you have any queries do write to me.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
This is 24th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April '19.
Day 24. Vermicelli Pulao.
I wanted to make the Xacuti Masala Rice Pulao for the letter X(found on net for the letter X), but didn't get the masala at the Indian store. There are very few ingredients that start with X so I had only one option. Also, I had never tried it before so gave up the thought of making the masala at home.
Mega Blogging Marathon, is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
Day 12. L.. Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani
Day 13. M.. Mixed Veg Pulao
Day 14. N.. No-Onion No-Garlic Kadhai Paneer Pulao
Day 15. O.. Oats and Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 16. P.. Pearl Pulao
Day 17. Q..Quinoa Pulao
Day 18. R.. Rajasthani Kabuli(Jodhpuri Pulao)
Day 19. S.. Spicy Chilli Garlic and Bell Pepper Rice
Day 20. T.. Tomato Corn and Basil Pulao
Day 22. V. Vegetable Biryani in Instant Pot
Day 23. W. Walnut and Cranberry Rice
Thanks for stopping by!!