Béchamel Sauce, a creamy white sauce that is made with butter, flour and milk. The sauce is used for binding various pastas and vegetables based dishes, and also used as topping in baked lasagna and cannoli. Béchamel Sauce has its origin in Italy but the sauce become popular as the French sauce. The sauce can be flavoured with fresh bay leaf, nutmeg and black pepper.
Years back in a T.V show on TLC channel I saw this method of making Béchamel Sauce. In this method, butter was flavored the butter with crushed garlic, then made the roux with equal quantity of butter and flour in milk and cooked to thick cream like consistency. I keep a batch of this sauce ready, it is easy to dish out creamy vegetables or pasta for kids in quick time. The sauce can also be used as spread for sandwiches or pizza.
In Italian and French Cuisine, white sauce or béchamel sauce is the base if many dishes like pasta, baked dishes like lasagna. It is also used as the base for many other sauces. The dishes like pasta, lasagna are served as first part of the main course in Italian meal structure, which is also known as Primo. For Complete Italian Meal Structure click here.
How to prepare Béchamel Sauce or White Pasta Sauce
Italian Bechamel Sauce
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2.5 Cups Milk
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- In a pan melt butter, crush garlic clove and saute in butter till light brown. You can take out the garlic from butter while making roux or leave it.
- Add flour mix with butter and saute till golden brown. Once the roux starts bubbling, then add milk.
- Add milk and whisk it continuously, till it thickens to cream like consistency,
- Add nutmeg and black pepper. Cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Satys good for 15 days, or use as required in the recipe.
- You can leave garlic in the first step. After butter starts bubbling, add flour and mix well.
- Fresh Bay Leaf, Cloves can also be added after adding the milk and cooked with milk, till it reaches creamy consistency.
- Keep stirring after adding milk to avoid lump formation.
I made this Creamy Broccoli and Farfalle pasta. Sadly I couldn’t take good pics and it was finished soon by kids that there was no more left for the clicks. Will upload new pics whenever I make next make it.
If you kids also like creamy veggies and pasta, make a batch of this sauce and store it. It reduces the cooking time and you can dish up their favourite pasta within minutes.
It is better than the store bought ones as you know what ingredients go into this and a readily available when you need. There is no cheese in the sauce. You can add cheese if you want extra cheesey pasta. I use this sauce as topping for making my favourite mushroom white sauce pizza.
Do give me your feedback and whenever you make this will be glad to see my pics on any of my social media handles.
FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
My other post on Italian Meal Structure was Bruschetta which comes under light appetizer(antipasto).
Join me in my food trails .. follow the blog and my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!