Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites recipe with Cheese | How to make Cheesy Paneer Potato bites recipe
Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites is a perfect combination of paneer, potatoes and cheese flavoured with Italian seasoning. A perfect starter for your parties, get togethers or just like that on a monsoon /chilly fall evenings with a cup of masala tea!!
These are so quick and easy to make that you do not have to think of any elaborate preparations to make this. Ideal for to make for a big party or any time some crispy fried snack cravings.
Can we make ahead and freeze these Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites
For any party or get together you can make these in morning or a day before and refrigerate in an air tight container. Fry the balls just before serving as these taste best when just out of hot oil. You can also freeze the balls and deep fry directly in hot oil just before serving.
Baked or Air Fried Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites
Yes you can bake or air fry these if you avoid fried stuff.
I have baked these in oven but the texture won’t be that crispy as we get it after deep frying. Checkout the recipe card for steps to bake these cheesy snack.
I haven’t yet tried these in Air fryer, you can try.
You can checkout the Cheesy Semolina Bites recipe similar to these cheesy bites, where I air fried the balls and come out very crispy.
Ingredients for Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites
Paneer– Crumbled soft Paneer without any moisture. In the recipe I have used HOMEMADE PANEER, you can use store bought and crumble it nicely. Paneer adds to the creamy texture of these bites.
Potatoes– Two boiled Potatoes of medium size. Potatoes add to the texture and volume of these cheesy bites.
Cheese– Use cheese of your choice. I prefer cheddar and mozzarella. Sometimes I add a combination of both or sometimes any one as per the availabity.
Breadcrumbs– Bread crumbs is one of the most important ingredient in the recipe, as it binds the cheese, paneer and potato together. Paneer bites are dipped in cornflour slurry and rolled in bread crumbs which makes the outer covering crispy. I have used my homemade bread crumbs in the recipe. You can use store bought crumbs.
Italian Seasoning- I have used Italian seasoning along with chilli flakes, which gives it an Italian flavour.
Cornflour- Cornflour slurry is used to bind breadcrumbs with potato bites for crispy coating. Paneer and Potato balls are dipped in cornflour slurry, which are then rolled in breadcrumbs and then deep fried.
Oil-For deep frying these cheesy paneer bites/balls. Use any good plant based oil which has higher smoking point. Oils rich in saturated and mono saturated fats are good for deep frying.
Others– Finely chopped Red Bell Peppers and ( or use green/yellow or a mix), onions for the crunch .
How to get boiled potatoes with let moisture Many times people complain that there is lot of moisture in boiled potatoes which makes it difficult in binding while making cutlets or potato balls. For that after boiling potatoes(in pressure cooker) once the pressure of the cooker goes down, take it out immediately from water. Leaving potatoes for long in water after boiling. Then cool it completely and then refrigerate for about an hour before using in recipe.
How to make Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites
- Make cornflour slurry.
- Divide breadcrumbs in two parts. One part for binding with paneer and potato and the other part for rolling the balls for the outer crispy coating.
- Gather all your ingredients. If using store bought paneer, crumble it nicely.
- Mash potatoes very finely . You can also grate the boiled potatoes.
- Grate cheese finely.
- Then mix all the ingredients along with the Italian seasoning and chilli flakes. Mix very well and them make lemon sized balls.
- Dip balls in cornflour slurry.
- Then take out and roll in bread crumbs.
- Refrigerate the rolled balls for at least 30 mins and then deep fry.
Tips to get perfect Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites
Oil should not be too hot or cold. To hot oil will burn the balls ad the ouetr covering will be cooked but inside will remain uncooked. In too cold oil, balls may tear up or soak lot of oil.
To check if oil is at the right temperature to fry, add a small ball in it.
If it sizzles and rises up gradually then it is prefect to fry. If the ball sinks down and rises too slowly that means oil is cold. Wait for a while and rise the temperature of flame.
If the ball sizzles and rises immediately then it is too hot for frying, lower the flame and wait for 1-2 mins then fry.
The snack tastes best when served fresh, hot and just out of oil. You can also feel the melted cheese when served hot. Serve it with ketchup or chutney of your choice. I love it Sweet Chilly Sauce also.
Checkout some more starters from the blog that you will love to serve for your gatherings or evening snack time
Crispy Paneer Potato Bites
- Mixing Bowls
- Kadhai/ Heavy Bottomed Pan for deep frying
- 1 Cup Crumbled Paneer
- 2 Boiled Potatoes(Medium sized)
- 1 Cup Grated Cheese
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs or as required
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- ¼ Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- ¼ Cup Finely chopped Capsicum/Bell Peppers
- ¼ Cup Cornflour or Cornstarch (in US)
- Salt as required
- Oil for Deep Frying
- If using store bought paneer, crumble it nicely.
- Peel potatoes and mash it very finely. You can also grate the potatoes.
- Finely grate Cheese.
- In a serving bowl or dish make cornflour slurry. Mix cornflour with ½ Cup water. Add ¼ tsp of seasoning a little salt also. Keep it aside covered.
- Now mix all the ingredients nicely. Keep about ¼ cup of breadcrumbs aside to roll the slurry dipped balls.
- Mix very nicely and make a smooth dough. If there is some moisture in the dough, add more breadcrumbs. The mixture should not be wet as the balls can break while frying.
- Make lemon sixed ball without any cracks,
- Now dip 4-5 balls in slurry. With the help of spoon, roll the balls and coat from all the sides in slurry.
- Then transfer the balls in a plate with breadcrumbs. Roll the balls in breadcrumbs coating very nicely.
- Repeat the step for all the balls.
- Heat oil in kadhai or heavy bottomed pan. Check the temp.. Check Notes or the main post.
- Deep fry balls in batches of 5-6 till golden brown.
- Keep on moving balls while frying and take care it doesn't get over fried or burned.
- Once golden brown, take out in dish lined with paper tissue to absorb extra oil.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney of your choice.
Tips to get perfect Crispy Paneer and Potato BitesOil should not be too hot or cold. To hot oil will burn the bites and the outer covering will be cooked but inside will remain uncooked. In too cold oil, balls may tear up or soak lot of oil. To check if oil is at the right temperature to fry, add a small ball in it. If it sizzles and rises up gradually then it is prefect to fry. If the ball sinks down and rises too slowly that means oil is cold. Wait for a while and rise the temperature of flame. If the ball sizzles and rises immediately then it is too hot for frying, lower the flame and wait for 1-2 mins then fry.
Do try these Crispy Paneer and Potato Bites for your special evenings. You and your family and friends will surely love it.
Share your feedback whenever you make this. I am sure you and your family will love it as much my family loved it.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!