Last Updated on
Pav Bhaji one of the most loved street food from the streets of Mumbai…Pav is the Indian Dinner Rolls and Bhaji is a spicy buttery potato based curry of mixed vegetables. What started as the quick meal for Mumbai Mills workers around 1850s (source Wikipedia and locals from Mumbai), got started served at the restaurants and local vendors, is now popular throughout India among all the Indians of all age groups. The taste of Pav Bhaji that you get from Mumbai local restaurants and cart vendors is something that you can’t get elsewhere in India and the same for the Pav. For the detailed post on how to make Pav, click here👉Pav(Indian Dinner Rolls)
Pav Bhaji is regular in my house as my kids love PavBhaji and for me also it is one of the best ways to feed mixed veggies like carrots and peas to kids in a yummy way. The buttery flavored Bhaji with butter smothered Pavs is the match made in heaven!!😋 While in Mumbai many times we used to treat ourselves to Pav Bhaji from the local vendors there and while I waited for my order to get ready I used to observe them while making preparing the bhaji and then used ask some tips and tricks to get the characteristic taste. So here are some of the points if you keep in mind, you will get the best Bhaji ever. Trust me!!
- Butter, Butter, Butter!!! the more the better and yummier!! If there are no dietary restrictions use butter open-heartedly.. the real taste comes with butter. But yes if you are following fat-free diet regime or avoiding fats in your food then use less of butter but do add.
- More of tomatoes and less of onion while making the curry. Use fresh tomatoes and the more the tomatoes the more the yummier!! Whenever making for special occasions or guests use store-bought tomato pure along with fresh tomato puree. It enhances the taste and color of Bhaji.
- Don’t skip capsicum and don’t boil it with other veggies, fry it with onions before adding the tomato puree.
- Don’t blend the boiled veggies too smooth in the blender, just mash nicely with a potato masher.
- Add some lemon juice, chopped onions and fresh coriander when you serve with hot buttery Pav.
- And the most important and essential is Pav Bhaji Masala. This special spice blend of around 12-15 Indian spices gives the characteristic flavor to Bhaji. It can also be used in other dishes also like Tawa Pulao(another Mumbai’s favorite street food). It is available at Indian grocery stores if you are not in India. Badshah and Everest Brand are best masala brands for me. Use whichever is available to you.
So let’s see how I make this buttery spicy Pav Bhaji.
For making Bhaji you can use any mix of veggies along with potatoes as Bhaji is potato based curry. Many people who don’t eat potatoes( many members of Jain religion) use yam instead of potatoes. I have never used yam in bhaji so can’t comment on the quantity used. I use potatoes, carrots, peas for making bhaji curry in onion-tomato masala gravy flavored with ginger and garlic. Many people add cauliflower also to bhaji but I skip it, I prefer bhaji without cauliflower especially when making for guests for giving the typical Mumbai wali Bhaji from Bhaji Thellas(Pav bhaji just like the Mumbai’s Bhaji vendors serve).
For no-onion no-garlic version skip onions and garlic in the recipe.
Pav Bhaji.. buttery flavored spicy Bhaji,..potato based mixed veg curry with butter smothered Pavs/Indian Dinner Rolls).Learn how to make Pav Bhaji For serving Pavs with Bhaji, cut it into half, put butter on both the sides and toast on the griddle or pan till light brown. The Bhajiwalas You can use store-bought pavs or any dinner rolls/burgers if pav bread is not available. For homemade Pav, recipe click on the here. Serve hot and Bhaji garnished with fresh coriander leaves and onions with a dash of lemon with hot buttery Pav!!!
Pav Bhaji.. buttery flavored spicy Bhaji,..potato based mixed veg curry with butter smothered Pavs/Indian Dinner Rolls).Learn how to make Pav Bhaji
For serving Pavs with Bhaji, cut it into half, put butter on both the sides and toast on the griddle or pan till light brown. The Bhajiwalas
You can use store-bought pavs or any dinner rolls/burgers if pav bread is not available. For homemade Pav, recipe click on the here.
Serve hot and Bhaji garnished with fresh coriander leaves and onions with a dash of lemon with hot buttery Pav!!!
Pav Bhaji has become one of the most famous and loves fast food. Try giving it some twist to your usual Bhaji.. grate some cheese in hot Bhaji or add some small Paneer cubes(Indian Cottage Cheese)or Queso Cheese into the bhaji and there you have the other famous version of Bhaji.. Cheese Pav Bhaji and Paneer Pav Bhaji. Bhaji is gluten-free and if you skip butter, it is apt for vegans too.
Do give my way of making Bhaji a try and trust me this is going to be your best Bhaji recipe ever!! Give your feedback and whenever you make the Pav Bhaji with my recipe, do post a pic of it on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) , follow the blog and connect with me on FB Instagram ,Google+ and Twitter.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back for more yummy recipes to perk up your every day and festivities!!