Last Updated on
Sookhi Urad Dal, dry preparation of Split Bengal Gram Lentils in Indian Spices | Learn how to make Sookhi Urad Dal
Sookhi Urad Dal is a one of the popular lentil preparation from the Northern States of India.. Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. Usually lentils are prepared in curry or stew style. This dal is just the opposite from the regular lentil preparation.In many states of India, Urad Dal is widely used to make idlis like these idlis, savoury crepes and dumpling(like dal ke pakore or medu vada), used in filling for Kachoris(Dal Ki Kachori, Khasta Kachoris), Papads/Poppadoms etc.. In Northern states, it is also prepared in curry style or dry form and paired with rice or chapatis.
In western Uttar Pradesh(U.P) especially in the interiors, it is served on special occasions with rice, a side veggie, boondi raita and boora(a form of sugar). Imarti, an Indian Mitahi/sweet just like Jalebi is also prepared with Urad dal.
What goes best with Sookhi Urad dal
This dal best pairs up with Missi Roti/Besani Roti, Masala Parantha( Tikadia) or Tandoori Roti. Fresh Dal tempered with onions and ghee also makes a wonderful combination with Naan(try with my Whole Wheat Tawa Naan). If I make these for weekdays for lunchbox, then I pack it with whole wheat chapatis.
Serve it for dinner or at your get-togethers, as a side with any curry like Matar Mushroom, Matar Paneer , Rasewale Aloo, Papad Boondi Ki Subzi and raita(like Mix Veg. Raita, Spinach and Pomegranate Raita or Boondi Raita) for a wholesome meal experience.
How to prepare Sookhi Urad Dal
A no fuss recipe that take just a few minutes to prepare, but it is a bit tricky too. One has to be very careful, if it overcooks , lentils sticks together and dish looses it’s texture. Cook Dal al-dente.
The real flavour of this dal comes with whole spices likes bayleaf, cloves, black cardamom.So don’t skip these.
To cook perfect Urad Dal, with separate lentil grains, soak dal for 15-20 minutes.
Cook in Pressure cooker, to one whistle with turmeric and salt. Release the pressure immediately.You can also cook in an open pan, it will take 10-15 minutes.
For one cup of Dal add 1 cup water. Strain water from cooked dal.
You can use onion and garlic in tempering or skip it. It tastes good both ways.
To cook with whole spices,finely chopped onion and ginger and garlic, saute, onions and garlic in oil, add spices like red chili powder, garam masala and mix dal very lightly.
For no onion -no garlic version, skip onion and garlic and temper only with spices and ginger.
Sookhi Urad Dal
- Pressure cooker
- 1 Cup Dhuli Urad Dal/Skinned Split Bengal Gram
- 1 Onion(small Chopped) optional
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Ginger(small piece)
- 1-1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp Amchur/Dry Mango Powder optional
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1 Dry Whole Red Chilli
- Wash dal and soak in water fro 15-20 minutes.
- Drain Water,add dal in a pressure cooker. Add around 1 Cup water.
- Let it boil, once the froth accumulates at top, discard it, add turmeric powder and salt as per taste.
- Close the lid and cook Dal for 1 whistle. Release pressure manually.
- If there is water, strain it and keep dal aside.
- In a pan or kadhai. add oil, once it is warm add whole spices, cumin seeds.
- Once seeds splutter, add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, till onions are light brown in color.
- Add garam masala powder, red chilli powder(if using), mix then add dal.
- Mix it very lightly. Take care, don't mash dal.
- Serve hot with chapatis or parantha.
- Adding a spoonful of ghee, enhance the taste of dal. You can make tempering of desi ghee, cumin seeds and red chilli powder and add to dal before serving.
- Add a tsp of dried fenugreek leaves while sauteing onions. It enhances taste.
- For no onion-no garlic version skip both from the recipe.
- To cook dal al dente in open pot , add 1.5 cups of water instead of 1 Cup.
- Instead of Split Bengal Gram Lentils you can use Split Skinned Moong Lentils(Dhuli/Yellow Moong Dal)
Do make this simple and easy lentil recipe, do give me your feedback whenever you make it.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!