Learn how to make Pumpkin Dal | Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Dal Recipe
Gluten-free, Vegan Pumpkin Dal recipe with hint of sweet and tangy flavours, cooked in Instant Pot /Pressure Cooker
Filling and comforting Pumpkin Dal cooked with Toor/Arhar Dal( Split Pigeon Pea Lentil) in Indian flavours, served with rice or roti for a weekday meal.
It is the season of pumpkins, there is a nip in air and all one craves for are warm fresh and wholesome. Fall /Autumn is the best time to enjoy the fresh produce of Pumpkins. Also,sneak pumpkin in dal and serve with rice to rice to fussy kids.
Staple Indian meals in majority of homes consists of Dal and Rice. These are so many versions of Dal recipes in every home, region and culture. Dals are filling, rich source of protein for non-meat eaters.
Pumpkin Dal with Rice is one such complete meal that you can serve to your kids.
Some of the easy to make Dal recipes from the blog that you can make for weekday meal and serve with steamed rice.
Dal Tadka( with Split Pegion Peas),
Maa Chane di Dal( Split Chickpea, Red Lentils and Split Black Gram Mixed Dal),
Sookhi Urad Dal( Dry Split Black Gram Lentils),
Rajasthani Panchratna Dal(with 5 different lentils)
Dals /Lentil recipes with veggies-
Ingredients for Pumpkin Dal
Lentil– To make Pumpkin Dal I have used Toor /Arhar Dal (Split Pigeon Pea Lentils). You can also make this dal with Chana Dal(Split Chickpea Lentils), Red Lentils or a mix of these lentils with Arhar dal.
Pumpkin– I used green pumpkin with soft peel and flesh. Not the one with lots of seeds. You can peel off the peel if the peel is hard and you don’t like it. Also, you can use any soft variety of pumpkin, squash with lentils to make the curry. MAke sure to take out all the seeds before cooking.
Others– Ginger, Garlic, Onions and Tomatoes, Green Chillies(optional).
Spices– Add to a warm flavour to dal making it perfect for cold chilly days . Bay Leaf, cloves, peppercorns, cumin seeds and garam masala powder.
Also, I like to add a bit of jaggery and tamarind water to this dal for a hint of sweet and tangy flavour. This is totally optional and you can skip these ingredients if you want.
Detailed Ingredients with amount to be used in Recipe Card
Have you tried this North Indian style Pumpkin subzi with sweet and tangy flavours Khatti Meethi Kaddu ki Subzi
Pumpkin Dal in Instant Pot
It’s a one pot dish when you make it in Instant Pot. Ready in just 10 minutes. No more counting of whistles, or long standing to watch over the cooking or dal spilling on gas stove. IP makes the cook fuss free.
I have IP Ultra 8 qt. but you can cook this dal in any model. Pressure cooking timing remains the same. Though it may change if you cook the recipe with any other above mentioned lentils.
Pumpkin Dal in Indian Style Pressure Cooker
We can go the traditional dal making way to cook this in Indian Style pressure cookers. You can follow the same steps to make masala for dal and cook dal together , one pot meals kind. Or, follow the traditional way of cooking dal and pumpkin together in pressure cooker and make onion tomato masala separately then mixing it with dal and veggie.
Tempering the dal before serving adds on to flavour and aroma. But this is totally optional.
- 1 Cup Toor Dal/Split Pigeon Peas
- 1.5 Cups Pumpkin cut in cubes
- 1 medium Onions
- 1 medium Tomato
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- small Fresh Ginger
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Tamarind Pulp optional
- ¼-½ tsp Jaggery Powder or Sugar
- 2 tsp Oil
- Wash dal for 2-3 times in water. Soak for about 15-20 mins.
- Pumpkin should be cut in cubes. Peeled and deseeded. I did not peel as the peel was soft.
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes , ginger, garlic and green chillies(if using). Use can also use store bought ginger garlic paste ( 1-2 tsp)
Instant Pot Pumpkin Dal
- Switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE MODE for 10 mins.
- Add oil, chopped ginger garlic and green chillies. Saute for a min.
- Add bay leaf, cloves and peppercorns.
- Then add chopped onions, saute till light brown.
- Next add chopped tomato, and cook till it is soft.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Drain water from dal , add pumpkin cubes and mix.
- Add water about 2 cups.
- Cancel the SAUTE MODE, close the lid. Set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on.
- Set the cook time to 12 mins.
- Once done, do the QPR after 5 mins. Check the consistency of dal.
- Add tamarind water and jaggery powder(if you are using in recipe).
- Cook for another 5 mins on SAUTE MODE if required.
- Serve hot with dal or chapatis.
For Tadka(just before serving)-OPTIONAL
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, red chilli powder and add to dal.
Hope you try and make this wholesome comforting dal. Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!